These were fast foto's from the workbench, I'll try to make better ones tomorrow.

In reality the olive drab is much lighter and paints are better blended.

Hope to get it finished by early April :doh:

Can I keep posting here or should do this elsewere??

Grtz Rudi

Airbrushwork and decals finished :rolleyes:/>/> No stenciling yet 'cause I'm gonna use dry transfers for this.

200_0087_zps758cfff8.jpg

200_0086_zps9eb8caff.jpg

200_0088_zps464568dd.jpg

I'm suprized how light there is in the cockpit :woot.gif:/>

Next step is weathering with oils and AK products B)/>/>

Shoot Rudi

Edited by kmk rudi

Friend of mine was in nuremberg toy fair this month and 90% sure Trumpeter will do this :woot.gif:/>

I would be all over a 1/35 H-34. Given how much Trumpeter has improved since the last helo of theirs I built (the Mi-17), I have no doubt it would be an awesome kit.

Rudi- fantastic job BTW. Can't wait to see it weathered.

John

Friend of mine was in nuremberg toy fair this month and 90% sure Trumpeter will do this :woot.gif:/>/>

That would be great, but I believe that rumor was already squashed. The pics of a fuselage were mislabeled as 1/35 when they were actually the Gallery 1/48th one. Trumpeter has something to do with Gallery though, so we'll see. I hope I am wrong, but I won't hold my breath for it.

Edited by HeavyArty
  • 3 weeks later...

Finaly got some more work done

200_0095_zps7479b721.jpg

200_0096_zps1ae0153d.jpg

200_0097_zps5f553a56.jpg

200_0098_zps1df5e3d6.jpg

I mainly build armor, sorta shows in the pics :woot.gif:/>/> looks like a flying Panzer IV Ausf H :rolleyes:/>/> Remember these are BIG pics!

Next up, all the small stenciling, detailpainting and more dust.......

Grtz Rudi

Edited by kmk rudi

That's a great-looking build! Don't forget to make those exhaust collectors good and rusty, and make sure to simulate oil sprayed all over the inside of the cowlings :lol:

I had a summer job in college working for a 'flying crane' company that operated several H-34's. Brings back some memories. One of, if not the LOUDEST aircraft I've ever flown in. And a backfire from that 1820 when you were standing fire guard on startup was guaranteed to wake you up!

Oeps!! Steering colums wrong!! Too late to change that one :bandhead2:/>

I don't doubt for a minute these things were LOUD :woot.gif::woot.gif:

Did some stenciling and detailpainting yesterday

201_0101_zpsa34c1c0f.jpg

201_0104_zpsc7587c16.jpg

Engine painting this weekend, fingers crossed......

Shoot Rudi

Just got my copy of the kit yesterday...and am impressed. I was a member of HMM-262 during 1963/65 and stationed at MCAS New River N.C. so this kit is a memory trip as well as a model build.

A few things struck me right away, maybe its nit picking but they stood out like to me. No rotor brake handle on the overhead console, used to stop the rotor turning after engine shutdown, also the so called 'donkey dick' sling equipment and the window in the belly that allowed the crew chief to watch while the a/c was using the 'dd',( rumor has the name was given by the Sgt who was the brains behind the sling).

One thing I noticed while reading this review was the interest in folding the blades. During my 2 years with HMM-262 at New River and aboard the Guadalcanal and Okinawa the only time I saw the blades folded was aboard ship or in the hanger for checks, most of the time they were on the flight line with pockets over the tips and tie down lines to the landing gear. Raising and getting the blades in place if they are folded was a 3 man time consuming affair that required the use of a blade crutch with 2 men and the crew chief up on the transmit ion hump to place the pins. With the pockets one man stood on the rear spine put the pocket on while his buddy walked that blade until another one was in front of the man on the spine. After all were in the pockets they were tied down 2 to each side of the a/c. The blades were given some slack when they were tied down so they could 'bounce' a bit if it got windy.

I also remember that at New River MAG26 home base at the time there were 4 squadrons that flew the 34 all had the same nose art as the kit (winged diamond) in yellow-HMM-262, Red HMM-261, Blue (medium shade) and Black. sorry I don't recall which of the last two 263 and 264 used which.

The crew chiefs really kept their aircraft up to snuff. They waxed them when they had the time so the a/c all had a nice finish to them, some had foot prints painted on the cabin floor to show the grunts which way to go. Also under the pilots side window there was some slots that could hold a 8x8 inch or so plank that some crew chiefs used to personalize their a/c. One I remember was a white plank with a black iron cross on it, the crew chief being a Sgt that had immigrated to the US from Germany.

I also flew on a/c 44 (the one that picked up Shepard) after the fact, but it was still neat to fly in it. I also was witness to the mid-air collision of 2 HMM-262 aircraft during NATO 'Operation Steel Pike' in Spain 1964 which killed members of our squadron and infantry.

Honestly I hated helicopters, I came from a fixed wing squadron attached to HQ Marine Corps to New River and my only knowledge of them was the engine which was a basic recep engine like the T-28's I worked on 2 years before. I never trusted helicopters saw to many lift off of the flight deck and go right into the water because they lost lift.

Well I hope I haven't bored you with my droning on...if I remember I will try to post some pic's I have from Steel Pike and a Caribbean deployment.

Flypaper