Gents:

I appreciate your comments and support, I know I nay have wandered off of a true review of the Gallery kit. Because of this little trip down memory lane I've rediscovered some interesting highlights of my own 'sorid' youth. Going to NAS Memphis to become a reciprocating engine mech MOS 6413 which I understand no longer exists, Learning to watch engine instruments while cranking up in the cockpit of a Skyraider !!!! Spending 2 years in HQ Marine Corps Flight Section NAF Andrew AFB polishing the Commandants aircraft, being in the same unit with the LAST 2 Marine enlisted pilots. Prepping aircraft for pilots like Major Glenn!! Crapping myself during the Cuban Missile crisis and Flying home to NY in the Commandants tail drager R4D4. Flying in T-28's that I will attempt to model. Seeing Spain, Paris France, and being on the first major USN warship to visit Plymouth England since WWII. Puerto Rico, Barbados, Cuba, hiding in the back seat of a VW bug in Panama during the anti-American riots. Trading Pall Mall's in Jamaica for Rum, while others traded ground black pepper (never figured out why pepper)for ganga!Autogyrating down in a H-34 so low that a cow looked in the crew hatch during a Jr. pilots check flight in Peurto Rico. I've come to the conclusion ....I'm old as dirt!

Who were the last two NAP's? It's a young man's game, ever after one term your old.

If you didn't like the 34, you probable won't of have liked the 46. That thing flew like it was punching it's way through the air. Then again when I was cargo that bird was 30 yrs old. I did like the 53, it was like being in a Cadillac and flew like a hot knife though butter. Either a good bird or pilot, almost fell a sleep on one ride, the up coming scheduled 10 mile hump that turned into 12-15 prevented that.

You have to remember I did not train for helicopters I was a fixed wing reciprocating engine mech thrown to the wolves at New River.
You had to go find a bucket of rotor wash? :lol:

serviceplatform.jpg

Thought I start with a photo showing the maintence platform that was built into the 34's hump a very important and over looked detail that was important in keeping the 34 in flying shape.

The following photos will be general exterior shots.

341t.jpg

Notice th handles and grips for the clam sheel door that Gallery missed

3412aa.jpg

As you can see they were fairly large

3412a.jpg

Other side. Just a guess but it looks like this cowl came from an A model which had the lower exhaust opening covered here by that brown snapped on material. Again just a guess.

3412b.jpg

exhaust system.

3414.jpg

down the flank

Tank is that the same as 'prop wash' or kin to '3 feet of flight line' or the elusive 'left handed squeeze'.

Sorry I don't recall the names it was 50 years ago, plus we didn't move in the same circles (senior NCO's vs. peons). But he did the right seat the flight I made to NY in the tail dragger. At that time I don't think they were allowed left hand seat but allowed to kept their title of Enlisted Pilot out of courtesy.

3415a.jpg

closer still and detail of emergency instructions

3412v.jpg

Gear from the rear

3417j.jpg

Spine and louvered cover.

3416x.jpg

blades folded along a/c length

3419v.jpg

about to turn the corner.

3420m.jpg

6 o'clock, note the 34 was NOT flush riveted.

3421e.jpg

tail rotor, like the main rotor on the a.c I disagree with the green painted works.

3422z.jpg

A bit worse for wear but shows how intricate it was

3420a.jpg

tail wheel, notice warnings

3420aa.jpg

other side, different bird

Tank is that the same as 'prop wash' or kin to '3 feet of flight line' or the elusive 'left handed squeeze'.

Yep, all the same or the PRC-E7 radio, said prick E7. :D/> Fun times, fun times.

This should be the last of the photos for those who are interested.

tailrotor.jpg

Another shot of the folded tail rotor. Rejoining you closed the tail to the fuselage and on the side of the fuselage was a handle that acted like a ratchet and moved 2 studs to lock the parts together. When done the handle slapped back against the body of the a/c. All in all it took about 2/3 min. to lock her down. In the pic part of the hinge that the tail swung on is visible on the rear edge of the a/c. With the tail folded back this made an easy climb onto the rear spine made slipping the tie down pockets easier than the climb up over the cockpit and opening the maintenance platform.

h34transmission.jpg

And here we have the monster that made every crew chief think twice about his choice of career. This is the best photo I could find of the Rotor head/transmission I could find....compare this to the 6 anemic parts Gallery supplies. This is why field maintenance was a no-no.

Which also leads me to my rejection of the use of the photo etched screen to cover the transmission area. I don't remember EVER seeing it in use, and every photo I could find of a 34 (all branches) seemed to back up my point. Maybe they came from the factory screened but I'm sure it didn't last long. Me,I think Gallery took the opportunity to use the screen to cover up a less than adequate transmission area.

All in all I think Gallery has made a one basic kit and plans to use different small extra sprue's to cover as many type 34's as possible.

The biggest flaw I see for a Marine H-34 is the wrong style of seats in the crew cargo area and the use of the first bulkhead with webbing, ever H-34 I set foot in only had the 2nd bulkhead, and had the more open cargo area.

I also pointed out a series of bogus color call outs that Gallery used.

The use of the screen to cover the weak rotor transmission area is up to the builder. I would spend some extra time and leave them off.

I think the kit a grudging 4 out of 5.

420pxuh34ddoorgunusmcvi.jpg

open door, always open door.

ashampoosnap2013032400h.jpg

a gaggle from the cockpit of my old sqd. HMM-262

45620421366da5812e4bo.jpg

another from HMM-262, I'm sure that sometime in the life of this a/c I folded its

blades. :whistle:/>

ashampoosnap2013032400h.jpg

A HMM-163 using the sling and DD hook. notice the crew chief on his belly watching from the cargo door, more than likely because the belly window is useless because of yellowing, oil and dirt.

3431.jpg

And lastly the H-34 and Marines doing what they do so well!!!

Thanks for your time, your ears and eyes.

Flypaper

Class of 61.

This is a really great topic and thread .

I'm a huge fan of the H-34 (S-58) series helicopter .

I have quite a few 1/72 H-34 and Wessex builds going on , kind of a never ending one man group build .

I also have a lot of pic's from the net of different variants , I have this pic in my files of the rotor head another modeller sent me the link some time ago

FrenchSudEstH-34restorationpic1_zps7b8e02c3.jpg

Although I build mostly in 1/72 scale , I did back order the Gallery 1/48 H-34 USMC and Navy kits from Tower Hobbies there in the U.S.

The Marine Corps H-34 arrived on the front porch this morning and I have just had a quick look through the instructions to see what I got for my money . I noticed a external fuel tank on the sprue but it's not mentioned during the instructions . Perhaps it's on the Navy version which hasn't arrived yet . I've been wanting to add some external fuel tanks to my 1/72 H-34 and S-58T builds but I wasn't able to scratch-build the required brackets . I'm hoping the 1/48 Navy kit provides some diagram as to how it fits .

This is a great thread and awesome photos you have been posting .

John .

I have quite a few 1/72 H-34 and Wessex builds going on , kind of a never ending one man group build .

I also have a lot of pic's from the net of different variants , I have this pic in my files of the rotor head another modeller sent me the link some time ago

Although I build mostly in 1/72 scale , I did back order the Gallery 1/48 H-34 USMC and Navy kits from Tower Hobbies there in the U.S.

The Marine Corps H-34 arrived on the front porch this morning and I have just had a quick look through the instructions to see what I got for my money . I noticed a external fuel tank on the sprue but it's not mentioned during the instructions . Perhaps it's on the Navy version which hasn't arrived yet . I've been wanting to add some external fuel tanks to my 1/72 H-34 and S-58T builds but I wasn't able to scratch-build the required brackets . I'm hoping the 1/48 Navy kit provides some diagram as to how it fits .

John .

John

As all I can say is thanks :woot.gif: for the picture you posted. I had been searching for a clear shot like that, it will certainly make dressing up Gallerys attempt.

Flypaper

I'm happy to help flypaper .

The only other two images I had of the main rotor assembly were these two without much plumbing or wiring attached

PB240188rotormountandgearbox_V_zps264412a6.jpg

Wessexmainrotorassembly_zpscd52cc67.jpg

I see that there is now a white metal straight (V-style) landing gear available to replace the 1/48 Gallery kit supplied ones .

I just wish someone would do a white metal 1/72 version . I have been banging on for years on how cruel Italeri are for not giving modellers the option of both types of landing gear . I've been forced to buy the 1/72 Revell H-34G versions from seller on ebay and pay ridicules prices for those kits . As a last resort I have been attempting to scratch build and quite crudely I must admit my own V-style /straight gear legs

0013-21_zps5d45c5ed.jpg

Sorry for my rant and getting off topic slightly .

John

Edited by Helo 53

Great stuff Flypaper.

John, the Navy kit does not show you how to assembly the tank and attach it.

http://www.1999.co.jp/eng/10206388

But from the unused parts and some photos am I sure you could figure it out.

As for the SAC medal landing gear, IIRC it is just the kit parts in medal. While I am not to the point of using the landing gear yet, I am not sure it is needed. I personally don't think many of the set they make are really needed (maybe the F-105 is a needed case) as the plastic can do it's job but modelers can enjoy the hobby how ever they like.

Stepping back to some early comments about every day tie down of the 34 on the flight line. I said that the only time I saw the 34 with its blades folded was aboard ship or in a hanger for maintenance, both because of the need to save room. The normal 34 on the flight line had pockets on the blade tips, and now Ive found a pic that shows this configuration.

I would have to say that this is the way most 34's spent there stay on the flight line which made it easier for the a/c to be used.

h34150220larry004.jpg

Of course this one is in Ant-Arctic and has some extra tie downs but the pockets and their tie ropes are clearly visible.

I would prefer to show the 34 this way.With the blades folded it just reminds me of something about to go into storage, all bundled up and very compressed and static.

Flypaper

John .

John some great pictures deseverse to be repayed.

Hope these will be of some help for the external fuel tanks.

ashampoosnap2013032714h.jpg

ashampoosnap2013032714h.jpg

Thank you kindly for the additional pic's of the external fuel tank and bracket .

I also like the tie down look on the H-34 with those ropes coming from the rotor tips and going back to the fuselage .

A couple more images of the main rotor mechanism are from my 4+ publication on the Westland Wessex

WessexHC-2Rotorhousing1_zps469056a3.jpg

WessexHC-2Rotorhousing3_zps5628faf0.jpg

I decided to have a closer look at my 1/48 Gallery kit sprue frames

GalleryH-34pic1_zpscbba46dd.jpg

Sprue frame 'L' seems to have most of the parts for the external brackets , it's interesting looking at the size and diameter of the round plastic strip Gallery have used . I probably would have used the same size for my 1/72 builds , so I may have to look at something smaller in diameter

GalleryH-34pic2_zpsf147b8c7.jpg

These appear to be the bracket that would sit on top of the fuel tank

GalleryH-34pic3_zps5be8da51.jpg

The two indents on those brackets seem to match the spacing on these two other pieces

GalleryH-34pic4_zpsb694ed38.jpg

Although I still haven't quite figured out how the lower bracket would attach back to the fuselage .

The other two interesting brackets are these

GalleryH-34pic5_zps4e89aa66.jpg

However there similar to what's in the 1/72 Tamiya J.M.S.D.F HSS-1 kit , which I have in my stash and they would be for the small depth charges when fitted .

So I'm a little more further progressed with idea's on an external fuel tank and bracket , thanks again flypaper for the two pic's you posted and thank's Tank for the link on the Gallery H-34 Navy kit . I hope mine arrives soon .

John .

John,

I was looking tonight to see if I could figure it out. I think we are missing sprues to finish those tanks off. Similar that another sprue would have the bent landing gear on it. I think the parts L23-26 pylon halves are for the rocket launchers, parts L45/46/49. The tab point are further apart then the top fuel tank half. I guess you could modify the part. The plyon lengths also look to long. Course they could have forgotten, like they did with the collectives.

I suppose we are only guessing as to what Gallery might have in mind for the external tank for future issue's

I also thought the bracket was a bit too long as well

Here's a pic from my files I got off the net

SikorskyLH-34DUSNavypic4_zpsa1ec02e1.jpg

Here's some others of the rocket pods

SikorskyUH-34DStingerpic3_zps0f49b536.jpg

SikorskyUH-34DStingerpic1_zps6c1657d5.jpg

SikorskyUH-34DStingerpic2_zpsd15ed141.jpg

Just as I suspected there is another misleading color call out on the Gallery instruction sheet in the engine assembly section #3.

Parts # B41 and B42 should be engine gray and not silver and metal black. These parts are part of the engine case. The accessories on the back plate #B42 should be picked out in the colors shown in the the earlier photos posted on this thread.

Flypaper

Edited by flypaper2222

OK, I just can't stand it anymore. I hope some of these are useful. This Marine bird was in storage at the National Museum of Naval Aviation in Pensacola. A nice E3 was kind enough to ride me around on a lift so I could get some shots that you wouldn't normally see. Only down side was no rotors. I hope these help.

Ray

P1010566_zpsffbd71a1.jpg

P1010565_zpsb6895b24.jpg

P1010539_zps4ecec056.jpg

P1010538_zpsf60ed94b.jpg

PICT8145_zpsc40e2ac2.jpg

PICT8144_zps0d604e56.jpg

PICT8143_zps74bcb951.jpg

PICT8141_zpsce02b072.jpg

and who would have thought even more!!!!

hpim2710.jpg

A peek through the screening to the front of the engine showing the engine fan and clutch.The bulk head on the right opens up to the cargo area right next to the crew chiefs seat.

eds5813.jpg

A look from the other side.

h34g803420888.jpg

A shot of the under side from the side. Gallery skimps on area badly.West German A/C

112sikorskyh34g10.jpg

Rescue winch and hook.West German A/C

rtsticks.jpg

Cyclic, left out by Gallery

cd4j.jpg

US ARMY 34 on some mountain top in Europe, also a good shot of the interior of the uppers.