F-14A, VF-201, CVWR-20, NAS Dallas

Uh oh, I have a small audience to please, by the looks of it. :lol:/>

Arnaud, it will be on the ground with the wings swept back. Not sure about the loadout yet.

Edited by Pete

Looking good so far, although I've never seen the front fuselage fixed before the intakes. Is it dry fitted or glued? The reason I ask is that the intakes may be tricky to fit, especially at the junction with the other half of the nacelles. My advice (if required!) would be to thin down the rear of the intakes from the inside quite a bit so it is more flexible and will be easier to get flush with the aft part of the nacelles. I've done it for most of my Tomcats (Well, all those I started anyway :(/> ) and it worked well. Hum, I need to get some finished now...

Arnaud

Thanks for the kind words.

Arnaud, the front fuselage is already glued on. I did some dryfitting of the intake part earlier on, and didn't see any major problems, so I decided to glue the front fuselage on early. Hopefully it will work out fine. Thanks for the heads up, though.

Speaking of the intakes, I have a little dilemma. The rear inner portion comes in two halves that you need to glue together and then slide it in the outer part. Like this:

Halves glued together.

P2022061_zps3f01f09b.jpg

They go in here:

P2022062_zpsc862b5ef.jpg

Like this:

P2022063_zpsd4d603c9.jpg

Now the question is, will I spend a lot of time with putty and sanding the seams inside that bit of the intake? I mean, it's pretty far deep inside the intake, and you won't see much of it anyway.

Unless you hold it against a light or something.

P2022071_zps6a7ac2c3.jpg

(BTW, you could use these intake parts for your 1/72 Trumpeter Vigilante, they're almost a drop in fit ;) )

It's not that big a job :)/>. The trick is to prepare the edges of both halves so they are perfectly square. Then glue with liquid cement and the fit is almost perfect. No need for putty, just a bit of sanding.

That said I just had a look on the only Tomcat I ever managed to finish (out of about five started :(/>) and you don't see much of the inside indeed.

Arnaud

Looking good so far. I build the 1/72 Hasegawa F-14D a couple of years ago and loved it. For the next time I tackle this kit I was going to try filling and sanding that inner intake seam before placing it into the intake itself. This way I could get in there with a file and some finer sandpaper.

Denis

• 3 weeks later...

I applied some putty on it the other day, which I will probably sand today. Also started working on the wings. They will be swept back, so I need to do some cutting.

Don't worry, it's still there. :) I just focused on the IRIAF F-4D, which had been on my workbench for too long.

Don't worry, it's still there. :)/> I just focused on the IRIAF F-4D, which had been on my workbench for too long.

You did a great job on the IRIAF Phantom, and I must say this approach (finishing what's started before starting something else) would gain to be better known :)

Arnaud

• 2 weeks later...

Did some paintwork on it. The wingseal bladders have been painted grey, along with the wing leading edges. These were then coated in future and got a coat of Alclad Dull Aluminium over it to represent the corroguard.

Almost ready for the rest of the paint.

P3162138_zps5175ee7e.jpg

P3162139_zps78215979.jpg

Keep it up! Will you glue the nose before painting? The reason I'm asking is that I have always had trouble with fit there and you don't want to find out about this after painting ;)

Arnaud

• 2 weeks later...

I was going to paint the nose separately, but I went with your suggestion, and I must say the fit isn't that bad. I must be doing something wrong :woot.gif:

Wing seals, wing leading edges and the canopy have been masked, and I have sprayed the black on the canopy and for the anti-glare panel:

P3252149_zpsbd4d7d8c.jpg