F-14A, VF-201, CVWR-20, NAS Dallas

Got the grey paint on the model, but forgot to paint the walkway are first. So, I painted that area dark gull grey and started masking it. When that's done, I will give it another coat of light gull grey (had to do some touch ups anyway), and then it should be ready for a glosscoat.

P3282154_zpsec2725a8.jpg

The wings, stabs, tailfins and other smaller parts already got the glosscoat on, and I decided to test some decals from the Repliscale sheet on one of the tailfins. Looks pretty nice, I think:

P3282156_zps56f641ee.jpg

• 2 weeks later...

More decals!

I've started decaling the model, and I'm using no less than 5 different sheets to get it like the real one. The Repli-Scale sheet for the unit markings, 2 old Microscale F-14 sheets for some of the stencils, another Microscale sheet for the national insignias, and the kit sheet for some other stencils.

P4072198_zps628bf62e.jpg

• 2 weeks later...

Added the exhausts today. These were a bit tricky to assemble, and maybe I should have taken a bit more care on them. Oh well, I shall consider it a lesson for the next Hasegawa F-14.

DSC_0444_zps9af28580.jpg

It's starting to look like a proper Tomcat now:

DSC_0446_zpsf5a8eecb.jpg

At least they fit: The Aires nozzles have much better detail than the kit parts but are notably undersized (About 1-2mm in diameter I reckon...) :(/>

Edited by arnobiz

Hmm, I will remember that for future builds. Not that the kit ones are an easy fit. I had to scrape of some plastic on the inside of the petal part to fit on the rest, and had to use a file to get them to fit in the fuselage.

• 2 weeks later...

Just a quick post, no pics. I'm done with the decals, and the glosscoat is drying as we speak. On tuesday, I will try to brew some nice light grey wash for it. If I do my best, I could have it finished by the end of the week.

Here's how far I am right now. I still have to finish the wheels, the cockpit, do the red edges on the gear doors and glue them in place, assemble the weapon pylons, and finish a CATM-9.

P5022303_zps62db0879.jpg

Nice work as usual Pete!

Do you usually leave the pitot off till your almost finished? I'm trying to figure out how to cut down on braking the ones off of my builds while they are under construction.

Edited by Spectre711

Nice work as usual Pete!

Do you usually leave the pitot off till your almost finished? I'm trying to figure out how to cut down on braking the ones off of my builds while they are under construction.

Thanks. On this build I actually had it glued on before the painting and all, but of course I snapped it off. I will have to make a new one as the last step of this build

Very nice work Pete.

No weapons?

Thanks. Only a CATM-9 (a blue sidewinder). Since this is a reserve plane, I doubt they flew much with live weapons, so I will go for a more standard day to day load.