BF-109 (first model, new user)

Hello ARC!

I've been cruising ARC on and off for a little bit, and finally after some reading, tutorials, more reading - I got the courage to go and purchase a model. I would like you folks to know that I wasn't trying to get an exact replica of a once active aircraft. I kind of mixed and matched the decals and the paint scheme. I made this model for my friends desk, and was asked to make it "safe-for-work" thus, why there is no swastika on the tail.

Some things about this model :

It seemed to be very simple to build, I found painting the instrument panel and canopy lines decently difficult, and I also realized I forgot the divider in the cockpit once I glued it down.

Here's the model, please comment and criticize as you see fit. I'm in love with this hobby after just this model, and I've picked myself up a Tamiya 1/48 F-16CJ which I'm excited to build BUT I would love some tips if you have some.

I am also sorry for the awful photos, I'm not yet equipped to take correct photos.

IMG_1338_zpsc4f424dd.jpg

IMG_1340_zpsa51d69a5.jpg

IMG_1342_zps9def9aa7.jpg

IMG_1336_zps66c7e443.jpg

Thanks for looking -)

Thanks guys.

I went back over the panels lines and maybe over did it lol :) live and learn! I didn't know if I wanted to do an oil wash over the panel lines or just use the airbrush.

What do you folks usually do?

Preshade the fuselage

Paint everything

Decal

Oil wash?

Thanks !

A great effort, but do watch the accented panel lines - they are looking a little over done.

I agree - excellent first model and well done with the airbrush! The 'right' amount of preshade is something that comes with practice and experience with different kinds of paint and mixtures of paint to thinner. One tip is to walk away from the model for a few minutes and come back - it forces you to look at the model differently.

• 2 weeks later...

Thanks guys.

I went back over the panels lines and maybe over did it lol :)/> live and learn! I didn't know if I wanted to do an oil wash over the panel lines or just use the airbrush.

What do you folks usually do?

Preshade the fuselage

Paint everything

Decal

Oil wash?

Thanks !

Hi,

Pretty much the process you describe above. Some people say it doesn't look that great and opt for post-shading, but it's all a matter of what you find works for you.

A great way of getting the panel lines a subtle look is to pre-shade, using a black paint ober prominent panel lines.

Also remember to use a dark grey or brown wash for the panel line highlighting, as a black can look very stark.

One of the great things about the hobby is that every time you make a new one, you will apply what you have learned, maybe try some new things and you'll always be looking to improve. Build and flourish!

Looks good, the acrylic stand is a nice touch. I would say that most people pre-shade their panel lines. But as for me I do all of my weathering after the paint is on. I feel pre shading is a bit overused on the exterior. It's great for wheel wells and cockpits for those hard to reach areas. I'm floored that this is your first model. Keep at it. You will only get better.