Australia/NZ Wings Group Build

Would you participate in this GB  

39 members have voted

1. 1. Would you take part in this Group Build if it goes ahead

• Yes
    • No
    • Yes, if it includes civilian types.

:D, It's good to see so much interest being expressed in this build. It's a subject that has produced many colourful and interesting schemes over the last 100 years. I'll put a proposal to the GB committee shortly as I think there is enough interest to get their blessing. I'm going to start planning my build(s) now as it looks like commencement won't be before July. Start planning fellow Austrophiles and Kiwiphiles.

:cheers:,

Ross.

We were just talking about this and two other GB requests. I think this one has potential. After all the Canadian GBs have always been big hits.

Keep talking it up and get people interested. Right now I think you need a bunch more yes votes. You have 4 which includes the one I just added.

:D, Thank you Shaun. To those who may be thinking about this one and would like to do an Aussie or Kiwi bird there are many subjects from WW1 days up to the moment. I propose that civilian aircraft also be included. On the military side there are all sorts from DH-2s from WW1 up to Super Hornets from now and everything in between. For our Kiwi supporters there are also WW1 types and everything up to now as well including Sopwiths and Corsairs and Avengers and SBDs and C-47s and Lodestars and Venturas from WW2 to Strikemasters, Macchi 339s, Skyhawks, Bristol Frighteners, Short Sunderlands (also applicable to the RAAF) Hawker Siddeley Andovers and the various helos used by both countries over the years.

On the civil side there are the trailblazing aircraft such as the Fokker F7/3M Southern Cross that made the first trans Pacific flight or the first flight to Australia just after WW1 and everything up to the present day. There is a great scope there so come on you entusiasts; get behind this build and start planning your builds now for a July or September start.

Ross.

:D, While I was typing the above reply someone jumped in and said yes if civvie types are included so I"ll say now that we'll include civvie types as well. We now have 10 yes votes and 1 no vote. That's okay, there's no compulsion here, just a bunch of people wanting to give something new a go.

Ross.

:D, We'd be happy to have you Harald; and anyone else who wants to join us. Jump in, the water's still great here at this time of the year. (Says he who hasn't been swimming or body surfing in many years.) Must get to the beach again before summer is out. the beach is free, the council pool now costs $4.50 per person, even toddlers are charged for at that rate now. When I was at school it was 20c for adults and children under 5 were free and a bucket of chips (french fries) was also 20c, now also $4.50, so it'll be the beach for me.

Ross.

:D, G'day Ray. You didn't see the poll when you made your original post because it wasn't there when you poted your first post. I added it later to better gauge the interest in the build. Periodically I'll be metioning aircraft used by Australia, perhaps someof our Kiwi members could mention aircraft that New Zealand military forces and civil organizations have used. This will give those who don't know how many different types each country has used more ideas and inspiration. For instance, how many of you knew that the RAAF had on charge for a while during WW2 6 Dornier Do-24s or 12 OS-2U Kingfishers? These were both based at some period of the war at Rathmines on Lake Macquarie not that far from my house. When spares for the Dorniers became impossible to obtain the aircraft were scrapped and the nose of one became a houseboat used on the Murray River and based at Echuca. It still exists and is now in the Lake Boga Flying Boat Museum. The Kingfishers were later in the war moved to St. George's Basin, south of Sydney.

Ross.

biggrin.gif, While I was typing the above reply someone jumped in and said yes if civvie types are included so I"ll say now that we'll include civvie types as well. We now have 10 yes votes and 1 no vote. That's okay, there's no compulsion here, just a bunch of people wanting to give something new a go.

271.gif,

Ross.

That'd be me, Ross....the lone voice of reason! laugh.gif

:D, Mmm, very smart scheme there Brendon, me like very much. Are there decals available for this one in the one true scale? On another tack, a few more aircraft types operated by the AFC/RAAF Aust. Army/RAN. How about the S.E.5 or the Sopwith Camel, Pup and Triplane, and the Snipe. then there's the B.E.2a used by the Half Flight to Messapotamia (Iraq) being the first AFC detachment to go overseas in 1914. There were also Deperdussin Monoplanes and Bristol Boxkites at 1 FTS at Point Cook in those days.

Ross.

:D, If you have a look over at Modeling Madness a modeler over there has built a BE2a almost from scratch. He used Airfix DH4 wings converted with that kit's wheels and prop and a scratchbuilt fuselage enigne etc.

:cheers:/>,

Ross.

Edited by ross blackford

:D/>/>, Mmm, very smart scheme there Brendon, me like very much. Are there decals available for this one in the one true scale? On another tack, a few more aircraft types operated by the AFC/RAAF Aust. Army/RAN. How about the S.E.5 or the Sopwith Camel, Pup and Triplane, and the Snipe. then there's the B.E.2a used by the Half Flight to Messapotamia (Iraq) being the first AFC detachment to go overseas in 1914. There were also Deperdussin Monoplanes and Bristol Boxkites at 1 FTS at Point Cook in those days.

:cheers:/>/>,

Ross.

Hi Ross,

unfortunately I only have the one set ( knew i should grab a few sets :bandhead2:/> ) . Southern sky has sold out of their 1/72 decals, I know a few moths ago that Roy had some for sale on his ebay site; http://stores.ebay.com.au/Southern-Sky-Models .

I had a quick look at the ebay store but nothing there. Someone in Aus might have a set that they may not use, and maybe willing to part with.

regards

Brendon

:D, Well Brendon if I can't get hold of that set something else will have to do. I have a very smart Macchi in mind, in fact from memory it was unique. Not gonna say any more. Hopefully I'll get more than one done this time. Not sure what the other(s) will be yet, maybe something from 2OCU seeing as I spent over 4 years there.

Ross.