Australia/NZ Wings Group Build

Would you participate in this GB  

39 members have voted

1. 1. Would you take part in this Group Build if it goes ahead

• Yes
    • No
    • Yes, if it includes civilian types.

Anybody know if the old Tasman decals of the 3 Squadron Hornets (F-18A)are accurate enough to make things look good?

The Tasman sheet covers a very early 3SQN jet. You will need hi vis roundels. The rest of the markings (stencils, etc) are low vis. Looks like it has markings for A21-10. You can model the hornet with or without the LEX fences as I think the fleur de lis on the spine was changed after the LEX fence mod was carried out. Otherwise it is a stock standard early hornet prior to the Hornet Upgrade Program (i.e. no bird slicer IFF antenna forward of the windscreen or the large blade antenna behind the canopy as per the recent Academy issue of the kit in 1/72.

A12-10 would be correct. After looking at the sheet again there are no low- vis roundels included and only some high-vis one intended for the Mirage. Would the ones for the Mirage be too large? Was thinking of the Monogram/Revell (?) Blue Angles kit since the decals are in 1/48.

:D, To those who might prefer to build civilian types there are also many of those to be had in Aussie or Kiwi markings. Many of our early Aussie civvie types actually had G-AU** regos unitl about 1928 or 1929. There were Bristol Tourers (converted Bristol fighters), several ANEC IIIs converted by the Lasco company into Lascowls and Lasco's own Lascoter and Lasconder (the Lasconder was similar to a Kreuzer Aircoach but bigger and more powerful), both one off types and various other mainly British types. There were also Fokkers FVII/3Ms and the Avro vraiant the Avro 610, both available from one of the Eastern European kit makers. The Southern Cross was an original Fokker FVII/3M whereas it ill fated sister aircraft the Southern Cloud was an Avro 610. The only real difference was the avro 610 had a fully enclosed cockpit whereas the Fokker only had full windscreens there being no side windows. Neil Gaunt has said he intends to make the DH 66 Hercules in both British and Australian versions at some future date, the main difference being the Aussie version had a fully enclosed flight deck and the British version an open cockpit. There were also Stinson Model As and one of these was used by both an airline as a trimotor and by the RAAF as a twin, the centre engine being removed and that area sheeted in. The two replacement engines were P&W R-1340 Wasps. There are many more types that can be either made from the box or converted or if you're handy and have the initiative you can scrathbuild one of the more unusual types.

:cheers:,

Ross.

:D, How about some of our Kiwi friends suggesting some civilian aircraft types designed and or flown in New Zealand. I'll start with the Luigi Pellarini designed PL-11 agricultural aircraft that was developed into the Transavia Airtruk. That development made a westward move across the Tasman. Then there was the CT-4 Airtrainer which was a development of the Henry Millicer designed Victa Airtourer. This aircraft incidentally is the first types in my logbook. This one went the other way; eastward across the Tasman. On another note, the Airtrainer design is still being developed, over 60 years after it was originally designed as the Airtourer. This can be a very interesting GB as there are so many types that fit into the scope of this proposed build.

Ross.

:D, Good to see you here Ian and it's great that you can take part in the GB. If I can find an Italeri Sunderland Mk1. I'll buy it. A mate of mine's father-in-law was a RAAF pilot at Pembroke Dock with 10 Sqn converting onto Sunderland Mk1s when the war began so he was one of the first Aussies into action.

Ross.

:D, Not yet Brendon. I'll PM the Committee tomorrow when I get home from work. Just about to have dinner now and get ready for work so I'll do that in the morning, unless one of them sees these posts and replies in the mean time. We now have 28 yes votes so I personally can't see a problem. It will just be a matter of putting it in a calendar slot I would think.

Ross.

:D, I've had a reply from phantom on this one. I have a little more work to do but he thinks we have the numbers. To all the entusiasts for this GB; help spread the word. It can be as simple as a chance meeting with and talking to a friend you meet when you go to the LHS. I've done this within the last week or so. So come on, if you're interested let your friends know about this build and maybe they'll come on board too. Another method is PM ing your friends if they live too far away.

Ross.

A question relevant to this - anyone know where I can find RAAF F-4E decals in 1/72, also if there exist decals for the RF-4C called "Canberra Kangaroo" flown by an RAAF pilot in Vietnam?

A question relevant to this - anyone know where I can find RAAF F-4E decals in 1/72, also if there exist decals for the RF-4C called "Canberra Kangaroo" flown by an RAAF pilot in Vietnam?

Hi Litvyak

Novascale hobbies from ebay , do a set. They're a reproduction copy of Aussie Decals, they only include the roundels and numbering for the F-4.

sometimes the white can be opaque so it would pay to have a white circle to apply them over.

http://www.ebay.com.au/itm/RAAF-F-4E-Phantom-Decals-1-72-Scale-N72036-/290875611457?pt=AU_Toys_Hobbies_Model_Kits&hash=item43b9899941

As for the RF-4C " Carolina Kangaroo" I'm not too sure, maybe some else will pipe up.

Regards

Brendon

Edited by Aussie_superbug

if there exist decals for the RF-4C called "Canberra Kangaroo" flown by an RAAF pilot in Vietnam?

I have a custom set in 1/72. Might have a spare. I could ask the maker to do another run. Might not be cheap.