Italeri 1/48 Mirage 5BA / 5F / Nesher / Dagger for 2013

Italeri 2013 Catalogue confirm the reedition of an interesting

Mirage family for 1/48

Mirage 5BA Belgium

Mirage 5-F France

Nesher Israel

et

Dagger Israel and Argentina

Each version will have its specific nose and fin !

Supersonnic and Long Range fuel tanks will also be offered.

Catalogue Page 5 :

http://www.cybermodeler.com/news/italeri5.shtml#.UQe0X_K87Y8

This ESCI/Italeri kit is quite old by 2013 standards but with a little work

the end result should be quite acceptable.

:sunrevolves:

SharkOwl

I would love to do the Mirage 5 but if this is the old Esci it won't be worth the Italeri price tag. It'll be $50 for the Esci plastic and a good decal sheet. I love the old Esci kits but not at Kinetic and Hasegawa prices.

Color me guard sort of interested.

Zach

I would love to do the Mirage 5 but if this is the old Esci it won't be worth the Italeri price tag. It'll be $50 for the Esci plastic and a good decal sheet. I love the old Esci kits but not at Kinetic and Hasegawa prices.

Color me guard sort of interested.

Zach

most of the time i'd seen the old ESCI 1/48 mirage 5 sold on ebay, it was sold at pretty high prices... often more than 50$...

Edited by mingwin

Agreed, I have an original Esci Mirage V kit and part of the reason I've been holding onto it is because it tends to be a tough one to get. Considering 1/48 aftermarket decals are pushing about $20 these days for good ones (comprehensive ones featuring full national insiginas and ALL the stencils and even more if we are talking the comprehensive sets from IsraDecals), if one takes that out of the price we are talking mainly about a $30 kit for the plastic alone, which even though the mold is old is still a bargain relative to what the secondary prices tend to be online. Besides, if Italeri gives it a proper Nesher/Dagger nose and antenna bumps, that adds to the value of the kit (although technically the original kit's Mirage 5BA nose can be altered by changing where you add the pitot tube to it by putting it on under the nose tip rather than right on it).

So while I would prefer an all new tool Mirage 5/Dagger/Nesher, I would be happy enough with a $50 Italeri reissue with new decals since I at least those should be good.

Kit details already added to the Italeri page.

I am posting the pics here just to have them handy.

They have incorporated a new nose for the 5F/Nesher/Dagger version, but not the rear fuselage pylons which, coming from Italeri, I was suspecting they would not! It includes supersonic and 1.700 liter tanks, but not the 1.300 ones, which were very commonly seen on these types.

Jay, the 5F nose is different from that of the 5A. It is not just a matter of inserting the pitot tube on the underside. The nose tip on the 5F is more rounded, hence the contour is different, and the pitot on the underside attaches to a fairing which is a rather complex shape and has an opening at the end.

2721_prof1LR.jpg

2721_prof2LR.jpg

2721-DecalLR%2021,0%20x%2027,1cm.jpg

2721_sprue6%2037,2%20x%20%2021,7cm.jpg

2721_sprue5%2028,7%20x%2019,9cm.jpg

2721_sprue2%2011,4%20x%208,9cm.jpg

2721_sprue1%2013,4%20x%20%203,4cm.jpg

2721_sprue3%2017,3%20x%20%208,9cm.jpg

2721_sprue4%2016,3%20x%2011,4cm.jpg

2721_sprue7%2025,8%20x%20%2016,9.jpg

I remember the kit as being nice, but in my opinion if it were to cost 50 bucks, it would be definitely overpriced. I think a fair price would be 30 dollars, as it is just a reissue to keep making money out of an old mold.

Jorge.

Edited by f4h1phantom

How is its fidelity of shape? We can always aftermarket up the details and rescribe and conversation so often muddles in fun but tangential details.

I don't think this has ever been discussed as the Esci kit is the only game in town to build a 1/48 IIIE & later.

50USD for a kit that needs 50USD of aftermarket to add detailing (nozzle, wheel wells, cockpit, etc). Not great value for money. I'll wait for the HPM kit and others.

Edited by Laurent

50USD for a kit that needs 50USD of aftermarket to add detailing (nozzle, wheel wells, cockpit, etc). Not great value for money. I'll wait for the HPM kit and others.

Agree,

HPM, Pilot Replicas, Kitty Hawk models and Avant Garde Models, have announced their Mirage III/5 family. It worth be patient.

Bye for now...

Agreed with above, better wait for a modern tool Mirage V. The old Esci/Italeri kit is really long in the tooth: raised lines, no cockpit detail, no gear bays detail, no decent exhaust,...etc, etc looks more like a toy when build from the box

Well, everybody is going to have their own standards. To those who specialize in French aircraft, I concur an all new mold would be nicer. But, I bet I could turn this into something decent since I have a few Mirage V goodies already in my spares box. Besides, if the reissue sells, that might be the impetus somebody else needs to do an all new kit since otherwise that market has been VERY cold.

Well, everybody is going to have their own standards. To those who specialize in French aircraft, I concur an all new mold would be nicer. But, I bet I could turn this into something decent since I have a few Mirage V goodies already in my spares box. Besides, if the reissue sells, that might be the impetus somebody else needs to do an all new kit since otherwise that market has been VERY cold.

Strictly speaking as Jay said the kit isn't a reissue as Esci never did a kit with a Mirage 5F/Nesher/Dagger nose.

To be honest there's one thing that appeals me in this kit: the markings for the 5F of the "Auvergne" squadron. For me the NMF 5F is the most elegant III/5.

It also appears that Italeri has taken a stab at doing some "decent" (relative term I know) Shafir IIs in 1/48 for this kit. While I've seen a few 1/48 Sidewinders with problems that could pass as Shafirs, I've never seen an attempt at proper Shafirs.

Unfortunately most of the parts are off the sprues from my old ESCI Mirage 5BA kit, but I can tell you that the new kit is the same as the recent Italeri Mirage IIIE kit except that it has the 5F/Nesher/Dagger nose on the fuselage sprue and the Mirage 5BA nose on the bomb sprue but then they left off the two1.300 liter tanks that are in the new IIIE.

I do know that the old ESCI 5BA kit did not have the sprue that has the 1.700 liter tanks and MATRA AS 37 Martel or the Phimat & Barrax. It also did not have the Mirage IIIE nose or small forward fuselage antenna bulge part and the instructions do not show the two AIM 9s and pylons or the super sonic tanks but I have those parts so they were include in at least on one of the three old ESCI Mirage kits.

Regards

Jim Barr

Edited by Jim Barr