Display Cabinet Ideas

Hey folks, This may be in the wrong area, and if so, moderators please relocate accordingly.

I am trying to find ideas or plans for display cabinets or bookcases with glass fronts to display all of my 1/48 aircraft. I would love to see what you all have so that perhaps I may be inspired to build something.

I have been thinking about a large corner cabinet, but then I thought about an oversized bookcase with a sliding glass door like the one shown below.... I just have to ask around and see how to go about doing the sliding door....

http://www.dutchcrafters.com/product_images/pid_3064-Amish-Sliding-Door-Large-Bookcase-20.jpg

I also looked at the Detolf and the Billy cabinets, but since their shipping is crazy and theres no Ikea in Louisiana, a significant roadtrip would be in order for those.

Edited by coryprine

I have been thinking about a large corner cabinet, but then I thought about an oversized bookcase with a sliding glass door like the one shown below.... I just have to ask around and see how to go about doing the sliding door....

http://www.dutchcrafters.com/product_images/pid_3064-Amish-Sliding-Door-Large-Bookcase-20.jpg

I also looked at the Detolf and the Billy cabinets, but since their shipping is crazy and theres no Ikea in Louisiana, a significant roadtrip would be in order for those.

The sliding door in the link you posted just looks like they used a set of full extension drawer slides.

I bought a bookcase at Ikea in december and love it. It's the Billy Bookcase with the doors. The doors are half glass (upper portion) and wooden (bottom portion). The upper half shelves are glass (extra parts but absolutely worth it) and the bottom half shelves are wood. I installed LED lights on the top of the bookshelf and it looks AWESOME! I build in 1/48 and I currently have 6 planes and some photos in the display area with plenty of space left. I use the bottom half to store new kits and modeling books/magazines. The bookcase is fairly deep so most 1/48 planes will fit. I will post photos this weekend when I get home.

Edited by falcon20driver

Mike I would have to say/write, that is a very easy setup you made/thought up and looks to be very effective without actually building a true cabinet carcass.

Very simple yet very effective :cheers:

Only thing I might of did differently is, make all corner uprights into Ls.

SANY0005.jpg

Detolfs from IKEA have wide gaps around the door, making it easy for dust to just come on it - ask me how I found out about this. So I loaded the thing full and taped the gaps shut, so yeah they are relatively inexpensive but need help to defeat the dust devil.

Here's a shot of mine, I had a blank wall in my dinning room, and I ran into a Save On drug store that was closing and selling off it's displays, I picked up 2 sets of sliding doors for $20-25 each, I used the 4 door set I bought and built this across the wall, it's about 7 1/2 feet wide and 2 1/2 feet deep, I have a huge amount of storage underneath and a bit above, total cost was under $100.00.

Curt

017Clean.jpg

Edited by Netz

Mike, did you use plexi or glass for the sides and doors?

Plexi.

SANY0007.jpg

SANY0008.jpg

Looks like his top and bottom box is made of 1x6 and side uprights look like 1x3?

Looks like he used L shaped shelf pins?

http://www.lowes.com/pd_323793-37672-883852_4294821945_4294937087_

Can also get them with a rubber sleeve

Edited by Wayne S

I have 4 Ikea Detolf at home and they are great. Yhe thing is it can only hold one 1/48 aircraft or 1/35 AFV per plate, usually a total of 4 or if modified max of 8. I bought a Billy bookcase with glass door and modified to accept 10 tempered glass shelf. Good thing with Billy bookcase is you can buy the glass shelf at Ikea conveniently.

664B65C7-9058-453A-B213-7F8821FA4034-11032-00000D309E70A276.jpg

Each shelf can have max 5 1/48 jets or 6 or more 1/35 AFV.

B6E1BDFB-7033-445E-A141-379487F061FF-11032-00000D30A76B98EB.jpg

Sample is a 1/48 F-18 monogram upper fuselage on extreme side.

Eric

I suggest to find the best possible display cabinet make a visit to a buisness that sells store fixtures. I purchased the display case in the following images at such a store. I bought that cabinet for $224 brand new from a store in Edmonton that supplies to merchants. They told me they sell a lot to modelers. As well, they had used and returned display cases.

They deliver and no building is required. You can't see in the images but the metal is a nice brushed finish. The had verticle diplay cases to match, which were in the $150.00 range.

Ikea requires delivery and building. As well, their display cases are not as open and have areas that obstruct view. The stuff at major department stores is very expensive and also have limitations in the ability to have a full unobstructed view of your models.

Every city has them. I found this after talking to a guy who just opened a card shop. I liked his display cases and he told me where to find them.

Picture008.jpg

Picture007.jpg

• 4 years later...

I actually got a some cases made that matched the hardwood in the rest of my house. This one place has a lot of cases but what I liked where the ones that hang on the wall. I ended up getting a bunch of these: http://www.tecnodisplay.com/c12/c12.php  They are good for the small kits but for the big ones I had to get a floor standing one. Sliding doors let all the dust in (eventually). Get hinged doors, they have these clear plastic seals that do a pretty good job. The other thing to consider is just getting an air purifier, I just have mine hooked up to a timer to turn on twice a day for like an hour.

I built (recessed) a couple of these beauties into my wall a few years ago, installed lights and everything. Only thing protruding from the actual wall is the hinged door and give or take a few mms for the movement. Too bad they discontinued them a while back.

http://wemakeitsafer.com/IKEA-BERTBY-Glass-Door-Wall-Cabinets-Recall-364144-881168

• 3 weeks later...

Some times one of your coffee tables etc. will have a surface divided into either one or several "recessed panel line" sections. These tables have potential for customizing. I have found two of my tables to be good candidates for customization. Funny thing i got both tables for free from different persons but they are both very nice (the tables:) and will lend themselves nicely to this idea. You will need to cut out the wooden panel(s) and take them to a glasssmith and tell him to make "windows" with bevelled edges that exact size. You will need to use a straight guide and a powertool with a fine blade to cut out the panels. The panels will from now on serve as the base inside the table for whatever you wish to display. May come at a price ordering these glass plates but the idea of having your showpieces safely tucked away inside a coffee table where they can be displayed is a very appealing prospect i am sure more folks will appreciate the value of. Cheapskates will have to look elsewhere though ;-)

• 2 weeks later...