VF-103 F-14B AA201 1996 Santa Cat Colors??

Hey guys, I need EXPERT advice from you Tomcat lovers/experts/enthusiasts out there.

I will start to build the first VF-103 F-14B Santa Cat Modex AA201 BuNo. 163224 from Dec 1996. I will be using Hasegawa kit 09335 in 1:48 scale which includes markings for this bird. However, I'm not a great fan of Hasegawa decals so I've decided to use Aeromaster 48-511 markings instead.

My problem is that the 2 placement guides refer to different colors for each of the upper and lower frames:

Aeromaster 48-511:

- FS 36320 Dark Ghost Gray for upper fuselage

- FS 36375 Light Ghost Gray for lower fuselage

Hasegawa 09335 Instruction sheet:

- FS 35237 Medium Gray for upper fuselage

- FS 36320 Dark Ghost Gray for lower fuselage

Which one was the color used on the real plane? Does this difference has something to do to compensate scale effect?

Keep in mind I'm talking about the first Santa Cat not the one with modex AA103 of Dic 2000.

Thank you

Neither one. VF-103's jets were still overall 36320 from when they were the Sluggers during the 96 time frame. Fortunately, I had a friend who was the MMCO for the squadron during that time.

Thanks Brian, what can I tell you? I'm lucky these forums exist. Otherwise I would have ended up with a zebra Cat.

Don't understand why Aeromaster and Hasegawa placement guides are so inaccurate...this is one, among many other reasons we miss VF Decals so much :)

Danny

Thanks Brian, what can I tell you? I'm lucky these forums exist. Otherwise I would have ended up with a zebra Cat.

Don't understand why Aeromaster and Hasegawa placement guides are so inaccurate...this is one, among many other reasons we miss VF Decals so much :)/>

Danny

LoL...Aeromaster's sheet is still pretty awesome. A few minor errors (I think one of the BuNo's they used is non-existant), but still a quite useable sheet. :thumbsup:

Rule of thumb I use...NEVER trust the Hasegawa decal/paint guide, although they are getting better.

Hi Danny,

I have a few pics of the 1996 Santa Cat I gathered while researching my future project to convert a 1/32 Tamiya F-14A to a -B and using the Eagle Strike Decals.

I talked about it and posted pics previously here: http://s362974870.onlinehome.us/forums/air/index.php?showtopic=246142

Brian,

If you have any other references to this Tomcat I would also request you share with me. I plan to start building this one in the Fall.

Cheers,

Denis

Guys-

Unfortunately I don't have any new refs on the 96 Santa Cat other than what's available on line.

I had been exchanging emails back and forth with the MMCO on the jets from the 96 Bosnia cruise at the time, and I asked some pretty basic questions and never asked for pics. What I DID get is a copy of the maintenance report which tells you all the FS color call outs and how many gallons of paint are used. 36320 had a pretty hefty load of I think it was like 8 or 10 gallons, but I'll have to look.

What I can tell you is that in one of the emails we exchanged, he stated that the jets were covered in touch up spots and were extremely dirty topside.

Common loads during the Bosnia cruise were 2 AIM-9L/M's, 1 MK-82 (sometimes 2), and 1 AIM-54, 1 AIM-7 in the aft recess and LTS.

Edited by VFA-103guy

Hi Danny,

I have a few pics of the 1996 Santa Cat I gathered while researching my future project to convert a 1/32 Tamiya F-14A to a -B and using the Eagle Strike Decals.

I talked about it and posted pics previously here: http://s362974870.onlinehome.us/forums/air/index.php?showtopic=246142

Brian,

If you have any other references to this Tomcat I would also request you share with me. I plan to start building this one in the Fall.

Cheers,

Denis

Thank you very much Denis. Unfortunately your shots were the only ones I had as well.

Cheers,

Danny

• 6 years later...
On 1/29/2013 at 10:20 PM, VFA-103guy said:

Neither one. VF-103's jets were still overall 36320 from when they were the Sluggers during the 96 time frame.

and what about the other one (AA103 of Dec 2000)? always in 36320 overall or TPS? thanks.