Need some scribing advise

The most popular guides for straight lines seem to be adhesive-backed plastic labelling tape (Dymo or similar), or the edge of a used etched brass fret taped in place. For a tapered surface, the latter probably won't help much -just apply a length of the labelling tape with the scribing edge on the widest radius (same as masking out radomes, etc. when painting). HTH.

Edited by ChippyWho

Hello,

Try using a good quality electrical insulation tape such as the 3M variety. You might have to stick two layers on top of each other. Cut very narrow strips on a piece of glass and apply on the tapered surface. Did my Monogram F-80 gun ranging radar panel lines (very tip of the nose) like this. Just start off with very, very, very.....did I mention very light passes at first and then go deeper. This stuff is also great for egg shaped panels like you have on the bottom of the Monogram A-10. You simply cut a circle into the tape and then stretch it sideways (egg-shaped) until it conforms to the panel and stick it down. Then scribe away!

Pierre

Did you try freehand? I have heard that practice makes perfect! :tease:/>

This suggestion may seem harsh: place a bead of thin stretched plastic pretty much where you want the panel line to run or just to the one side. If you are good, you will be able to glue it very carefully in place. Sure you may try evergreen or similar, but that will cost you more. "Pointweld" the flexible strip so it sticks. You may ofcourse also glue the whole length. Use thin glue. Then just draw a hairline into the plastic with your favourite scribing tool until you are satified. Remove the plastic rod and sand smooth. The panel line wil still be there once you are finished smoothing it out. It may be worth trying out, yes??

Edited by breadneck

Hi Guys,

Looking for some advice on scribing. How to you guys guide yourselves around a fuselage when it is tapering off?

I am not good at scribing as well so I feel your pain. I just use Dymo tape and just scribe around the tape and take my time and it works for me.

I've used thick vinyl pinstriping tape. I have a couple of rolls left over from my R/C flying days, but auto body shop supply stores carry it as well as larger chain auto supply stores such as O'Reily's, Auto Zone. etc. The stuff stretches to follow compound curves and adhere's well.

Just found this thread, perfect timing!

Since dymo tape is less and less available, I'll try the pinstriping tape. Thanks for the suggestion!

I have another question. Scribing straight lines and gentle curves just takes patience, especially with the panel scribing tool I have (hexagonal handle, "hooked" tip at end). How to you scribe small-radius arcs, as you might find in an access panel? The tool I have is too "uni-directional" in my experience. Do you just use a sharp pin point or a machinest's scribe?

BTW, I found that sharpening the panel scribing tool is easy, just lay one of the tip's flat face down on a sharpening stone and stroke as you would a blade. Repeat for the other face. Et voilà! New edge!

I think I may have the same scriber tool you have Dave its the UMM SCR01. I use the hook for dragging a panel line around the edge of wings and so forth. The main blade on the scriber works really well when drug lightly backwards. I can make very small radius curves with the blade that way. It doesnt cut very deep when drug backwards either. I really like my scriber and scribe everything free hand. Its a bit harder to do but mistakes can be cleaned up pretty easily. I also have yet to sharpen my scriber I think it is perfectly sharp from the factory. Just my 2 cents though.

after scribing I often find that there are still little bits of plastic in the scribed line, and the edge is very sharp. When I try and remove the bits of plastic by running the scribing tool along it gently, it just makes the edge sharper. I then sand it gently to treat the edge, only to find I've put more dust into the scribed line!!

Have you any tips on how to finish the scribing so that you avoid dust and rough / sharp edges?

Edited by lesthegringo

I just use sand paper. Only sand enough to get the sharp edge off then I use a can of compressed air to blow the new panel lines out with. Another hing I have found is if you tilt the scriber a little to the left or right the blade will make a light stepped edge in the plastic and not leave a sharp ridge.

Normaly I use the straight edge of the scriber to make my initial light pass then run the hooked end down the panel line to dig it out to my preference. Depending on how far you lay the scriber down against the model while you pull will depend also on how bad the sharp edge shows up as well. I will post pics when I can get to my computer.

Since dymo tape is less and less available

Really? I just saw a whole bunch at my local Walmart yesterday, and I'm pretty sure you can still find it online everywhere.

How to you scribe small-radius arcs, as you might find in an access panel?

Here is a video showing how to do this:

Really? I just saw a whole bunch at my local Walmart yesterday, and I'm pretty sure you can still find it online everywhere.

Thanks for the pointer!

I've been looking in all the wrong places--Office Depot, OfficeMax, & Staples.

after scribing I often find that there are still little bits of plastic in the scribed line, and the edge is very sharp. When I try and remove the bits of plastic by running the scribing tool along it gently, it just makes the edge sharper. I then sand it gently to treat the edge, only to find I've put more dust into the scribed line!!

Have you any tips on how to finish the scribing so that you avoid dust and rough / sharp edges?

Hi, lesthegringo. Try running some very little liquid cement into the groove after you scribed. This will smoothen the edges nicely. It also makes removing dust easier after you sand.