AZ Models 72nd Bell AH-1G....

I've been waiting for a G since failed attempts to do anything with the ancient Monogram kit.It's amazing it's taken this long.

John the Bladerunner at Scaleworx was working up a conversion/new kit of the G but it was pushed to one side. I think we may have lots this one!

Hi all, can somebody post here, or drop it to me via e-mail, what is the difference between G and Q (I know - ATMs), especially in the cockpits? Many thanks

In a nutshell, the Q-model is a G equipped with the TOW missile system. As such, it has the Telescopic Sight Unit (TSU) on the nose with the Optical Relay Tube (ORT)in the front cockpit. I believe it may have also had the updated pilot's gunsight. So the cockpits in a Q look essentially the same as an AH-1S(Mod)

In a nutshell, the Q-model is a G equipped with the TOW missile system. As such, it has the Telescopic Sight Unit (TSU) on the nose with the Optical Relay Tube (ORT)in the front cockpit. I believe it may have also had the updated pilot's gunsight. So the cockpits in a Q look essentially the same as an AH-1S(Mod)

Yes, I agree with this, I knew it, but is anywhere picture of cockpits of G and Q to see really the difference? I was not succesful on The Net...

• 2 weeks later...

Because AZ model is going to release AH-1G and AH-1Q... Since I found some pictures of oldie G, little younger Q is missing on the Net and also in Squadron Signal Cobra books...

You can send them also to my e-mail, if better for you. Many thanks in advance.

jaroslav

hinds.spacek@post.cz

Because AZ model is going to release AH-1G and AH-1Q... Since I found some pictures of oldie G, little younger Q is missing on the Net and also in Squadron Signal Cobra books...

You can send them also to my e-mail, if better for you. Many thanks in advance.

jaroslav

hinds.spacek@post.cz

Jaroslav,

If you have the question, I'm sure others do as well, so here are a few pics that should answer your questions.

First Here's an AH-1Q, the first one in fact:

AH-1q3.jpg

most AH-1Q's did not have the black nose.

Now here's a Colorado National Guard AH-1S:

AH-1S.jpg

You'll notice the only big differences are the presence of the WSP (Wire Strike Protection) system on the AH-1S, APR 39 blisters on the AH-1S, skid fairings on the AH-1Q and the two bumps on the nose of the Q.

Now here are some cockpit shots:

AH-1S

PICT7470.jpg

PICT7463.jpg

PICT7453.jpg

PICT7452.jpg

AH-1Q

CobraTOW00110AH-1Qwithlaserrangefinderpilotcockpitonly_zpsa3936489.jpg

CobraTOW00094bracingforTSUmountingpoint_zps72ba70bd.jpg

CobraTOW00117_zps1b5fd47d.jpg

CobraTOW00116_zpsc0f7dbaa.jpg

AH-1S pics were taken by me at Ft Rucker but the Q pics are from back in the day as no Q's exist anymore. Big difference I see is the Q has the interior gray of the AH-1G while the AH-1S would have been painted all black for NVG work in the early 80's. HTH

Ray

Edited by rotorwash

Many thanks Ray, this explains a lot. BTW - I am former Hind pilot (2500 hours) and and had a chance to fly TAH-1P, which is owned by my Friend in Czech republic. very nice experience... http://www.airliners.net/photo/Bell-TAH-1P-Cobra/2162417/L/&sid=f3c2e4856af180ebf4beebbef99d217b

Glad I could help. WOW, I need friends like yours!

Ray

Jaroslav,

If you have the question, I'm sure others do as well, so here are a few pics that should answer your questions.

First Here's an AH-1Q, the first one in fact:

AH-1q3.jpg

most AH-1Q's did not have the black nose.

Now here's a Colorado National Guard AH-1S:

AH-1S.jpg

You'll notice the only big differences are the presence of the WSP (Wire Strike Protection) system on the AH-1S, APR 39 blisters on the AH-1S, skid fairings on the AH-1Q and the two bumps on the nose of the Q.

Now here are some cockpit shots:

AH-1S

PICT7470.jpg

PICT7463.jpg

PICT7453.jpg

PICT7452.jpg

AH-1Q

CobraTOW00110AH-1Qwithlaserrangefinderpilotcockpitonly_zpsa3936489.jpg

CobraTOW00094bracingforTSUmountingpoint_zps72ba70bd.jpg

CobraTOW00117_zps1b5fd47d.jpg

CobraTOW00116_zpsc0f7dbaa.jpg

AH-1S pics were taken by me at Ft Rucker but the Q pics are from back in the day as no Q's exist anymore. Big difference I see is the Q has the interior gray of the AH-1G while the AH-1S would have been painted all black for NVG work in the early 80's. HTH

Ray

I'd say the biggest difference was the addition of the Tractor T/R... moving it from the Left side on the G to the Right side on subsequent models. Few Q's were made, and in Germany I belive circa 1986-87 we in D 3/8 CAV received our first Mod S's.

Cheers, GT

I'd say the biggest difference was the addition of the Tractor T/R... moving it from the Left side on the G to the Right side on subsequent models. Few Q's were made, and in Germany I belive circa 1986-87 we in D 3/8 CAV received our first Mod S's.

Cheers, GT

GT,

A lot of G's got the tractor rotor as well. Your point about the number of Q's is well taken though and I'd probably be more likely to build an AH-1S instead as there are many more options.

Ray

Here's a TH-1G at Rucker with a tractor tail rotor:

AH-10089_1280x871.jpg

You might recognize this dashing young snake driver of Blue Maxx fame with his tractor rotor bird:

IronButterflysmall_zps32838e0d.jpg

Edited by rotorwash

GT,

A lot of G's got the tractor rotor as well. Your point about the number of Q's is well taken though and I'd probably be more likely to build an AH-1S instead as there are many more options.

Ray

Here's a TH-1G at Rucker with a tractor tail rotor:

AH-10089_1280x871.jpg

You might recognize this dashing young snake driver of Blue Maxx fame with his tractor rotor bird:

IronButterflysmall_zps32838e0d.jpg

In hind sight, I suppose you are most correct. Maybe the old memories are fading, but not the friendships!

Ah yes, Iron Butterfly... "In-A-Gadda-Da-Vida"

Reforger 1974.

REFORGER74-3_zps65182290.jpg

Kazakhstan 2007

KazakhstanDec07051_zpseab5ffe0.jpg

Edited by AH6C-SIP

In hind sight, I suppose you are most correct. Maybe the old memories are fading, but not the friendships!

Ah yes, Iron Butterfly... "In-A-Gadda-Da-Vida"

That's why I have 200,000 helo pics, cause I can't remember anything anymore! By the way, I assume you know but Mac painted Iron Butterfly as well as several other famous Blue Maxx birds. I only wish I had known you two back in the day. We have pulled this thread quite far afield, but I will end with my personal favorite pic of our mutual friend. Why is it my favorite? Cause I was enjoying the ride in the back seat!

Ray

DSC_0310-1_zpsef043d4c.jpg

Edited by rotorwash