Custom decals/Generic stencils

So, I'm building the Academy F-4B with VMFA-531 markings in honor of a buddy who was a pilot in Vietnam. I'd like to put his name/call sign under the canopy... does anyone know where to get 1/48 generic letter stencils or custom decals for that purpose?

Further, he can't remember his tail number, is there an online database somewhere that I could look something like that up?

Where would I get decal paper? Wouldn't the ink run as soon as you dip it in water?

Lots of companies sell it. I like the one from Bare Metal Foil. For what you want to do you need the clear paper. And get the right one for your printer (ink jet or laser).

To prevent the ink from running, you spray it after printing with something waterproof. Testors makes a decal cover spray (which smells and behaves suspiciously like their Glosscote).

I don't know if VMFA-531 is still in existence or has anyone taking care of its history, but it's likely someone, somewhere, has records of who flew what and when. I know that I was able to specifically identify some of the different SBD Dauntlesses my neighbor was a rear gunner for when he flew off the CV-2 Lexington up until the Battle of the Coral Sea from record and log books.

I'm not having any luck. He did crash his F4 sometime around '66 or '67 in NC when he was at Cherry Point and jacked his back up when he ejected. I found a list of ejections online, but many of them don't have any info other than the date, etc.... would there be any official records of that kept somewhere that I'm just not finding?