CD72093 - 1/72 C-46 Commando

• 4 months later...

I thought that it might be one of the four ANG Air Commando Squadrons (129th CA, 130th WV, 135th MD, & 143rd RI), but the badges don't correlate. From the Wiki entry, the 10th AF controlled Reserve and ANG units from 1950 to 1960, so the possibility still remains.  It almost looks like a minuteman running with his rifle.  Let me check my pubs. 

Wiki: Quote

In addition to the command and control of the active Air Force interceptor and radar units in its region, it also became the command organization for the Air Force Reserve and state Air National Guard units. By 1949 with the establishment of the Western Air Defense Force (WADF) and Eastern Air Defense Force (EADF), the air defense mission of the command was transferred to WADF, leaving Tenth AF free to focus on its reserve training tasks.

Moved to Selfridge AFB, Michigan, 16 January 1950 where for the next decade it concentrated on air reserve training throughout the decade. On 1 July 1960, the Fifth Air Force Reserve Region was formed at Selfridge AFB. The Fifth Air Force Reserve Region was one of five Reserve regions and became operational on 1 September 1960, under the control of Continental Air Command (CAC), as a result, Tenth Air Force was discontinued, and inactivated, on 1 September 1960.

Unquote.

Edited by Dutch

From the Wiki article on Air Resupply & Communication Service

"Air National GuardEdit

The Air National Guard's introduction to the world of special operations began when MATS began phasing out its Air Resupply units. Despite the decision, there was still a need to maintain a limited number of crews and aircraft to support unconventional warfare missions. After lengthy deliberations, the Air Force decided in 1955 to establish four special air warfare units within the Air National Guard:

Equipped with hand-me-down equipment from the inactivated ARCS (minus the B-29s), these Air National Guard units trained in Air Commando tactics. During the early 1960s, these units were re-designated first as Air Commando units, then as Special Operations in 1968. After the end of the Vietnam War in 1975, these units were converted to other missions."

I will keep checking my other sources for a patch or Sqn/Grp logo.

K/r,

Dutch

After checking my USAF "Air Force Combat Wings: Lineage and Honors Histories, 1947-1977," I can find only one wing badge that is close: the 437th Military Airlift Wing.  The circular logo design might be an early design for current shield badge that has become standard in the Air Force. Both have the white fan design behind the dark blue minuteman, though.  Here is a link to the Wiki article.  BTW, the wing was initailly a Reserve component unit, was activated for Korea 1951-52, and flew C-46, C-47 & C-119 aircraft. The article even has a photo of a couple of C-46s, one OD & one silver. Both aircraft have "437th" at a slant, followed by a long horizontal arrow, with "Troop Carrier Wing" underneath on the nose.

download.png.ed950853c1ebc4a7ff81798bd6bfffbb.pngC-46D_437th_TCW_in_Korea_c1951.thumb.jpg.9a699016c563e30da98fd67d1f3acf8d.jpg

Edited by Dutch
corrections

According to the book, the 437th was attached to the FEAF Combat Cargo Command, 314th Air Division from 1 Dec 1950 - 24 Jan 1951, then transferred to the 315th Air Division (Combat Cargo) from 25 Jan 1951 - 10 Jun 1952, whereupon it returned to Reserve status and was assigned to the Tenth Air Force during 15 Jun 1952- 16 Nov 1957.  So most likely your C-46 photo is after the Korean conflict during this latter period.

Btw, the tail tip, nose and badge disk all appear to be the same color.  Perhaps yellow? 

Edited by Dutch
Add detail.

Almost done fitting 14 USAAF / USAF interesting options on this sheet for the forgotten hero of WWII and Korea - I will post profiles as soon as I am done with the current packing/shipping frenzy that has been going on for two weeks.

• 2 weeks later...

This sheet is coming in the February/March batch of releases. There are two additonal separate sheets (not shown) for national insignia and black markings (serial numbers etc.) . WWII era CBI "Hump" aircraft (including an amazing "sharkmouth" one), one from Operation Varsity, postwar/Korean War era aircraft, two ANG , USN Blue Angels, and one Air America C-46. Full set of C-46 specific Curtiss serial number digits in both yellow and black.

cd72093.jpg

Edited by KursadA
  • KursadA changed the title to CD72093 - 1/72 C-46 Commando

I received some questions about the look of the Curtiss factory serial number digits on the decal sheet - hopefully this photo will clarify this. These digits seem to be specific to the C-46 and all Commandos seem to be delivered with serial numbers painted in this style; in yellow on OD/Neutral Gray aircraft and in black on natural metal airframes; all the way until the end of the war. 

Modern 45-deg corner lettering start to appear right at the end of the  war was war-weary airframes were repainted at the unit and depot level, and most of the postwar options on the sheet have serials on this style; all of them on the black insert I have not shown you yet.

curtiss_digits.jpg

Edited by KursadA

Rhode Island (44-77687) and Pennsylvania(44-77715). Probably too late to add/change anything - sorry.

The Air America option on the sheet is "B-858". Going by the photos in the excellent Wings article on the subject, I am pretty sure the B-858 on the tail and wings were black. I am not sure about the "Air America" logo itself - it is blue on the draft I posted above, but I am inclined to believe it was also black and I will change it in the final artwork before it goes to print.

Edited by KursadA

Hmm. Nice!

1050487956_C-46D_44-77715_140thAeroMedEvacSqn_PAANG_1956.JPG.3c3385d371772abbb640b5a677795d2d.JPG

C-46D 44-77715 of the 140th Aeromedical Transportation Squadron, Pennsylvania ANG, Reading Airport, circa 1957. (* Markings provided in the Platz 1/144 kit #PD-26.)

277487714_C-46D_44-77687_143rdARS_RIANG_1957.JPG.60abc7b6cd417c96cbfcd64d356c3f0e.JPG

C-46D 44-77687 "BALOFIA" of the 143rd Aeromedical Transportation group, Rhode Island ANG, Provincetown Airport, RI circa 1957

Edited by Dutch
add photos & link.
  • 2 weeks later...
  • 2 weeks later...
On 3/26/2021 at 11:27 PM, Charlie D. said:

Well....Valom just announced a new tool 1/72 C-46 kit! Maybe a sheet for those as well!

I saw on a Kitlinx email newsletter (Jan 28, 2022) they listed the Valom 1/72 Curtiss C-46A Commando "The Hump USAAF" listed for $126.85.  My question is and 

I have no experience with this manufacturer, this seems a bit much. I Know its new so I have to give it the benefit of the doubt as to what is in the box to justify the cost other 

then its a new tool kit and that maybe the reason plus cost of production.  Anybody know more as to what is in the box?

Steve Sliger

Greenwell Springs, LA

2 minutes ago, Bo105flyer said:

I saw on a Kitlinx email newsletter (Jan 28, 2022) they listed the Valom 1/72 Curtiss C-46A Commando "The Hump USAAF" listed for $126.85.  My question is and 

I have no experience with this manufacturer, this seems a bit much. I Know its new so I have to give it the benefit of the doubt as to what is in the box to justify the cost other 

then its a new tool kit and that maybe the reason plus cost of production.  Anybody know more as to what is in the box?

Steve Sliger

Greenwell Springs, LA

That's insane. Get it off Ebay for about $60 + $15-$20 in shipping from Europe. Lots of them on Ebay, you can see pics there of all the sprues. 

I loved Great Models, but Loic needs to check out some of his pricing, and fix his shipping calculator. I recently put a kit in the cart there, and it quoted me $15.65 Priority Mail for a 2 lb box. You know what I get when I calculate a 2 lb box priority at the retail counter rate from his zip to mine? $10.70. I don't mind paying a fair price for shipping, but I'm not going to get gouged for it. I ship enough stuff I know what it costs to ship a kit, and I'm sure a business like his is getting a shipping discount on rates. 

10 minutes ago, Bo105flyer said:

Steve Sliger

Greenwell Springs, LA

you might find this more reasonable, reliable SoCal seller too.

https://www.ebay.com/itm/Valom-Models-1-72-CURTISS-C-46A-COMMANDO-Over-the-Hump-/133972836752?mkcid=16&mkevt=1&_trksid=p2349624.m46890.l49286&mkrid=711-127632-2357-0