CD72093 - 1/72 C-46 Commando

Just what you need, more decal suggestions!!! :rolleyes: I know you have a lot on your plate decal project wise, but I just got the new Platz 1/144 kit and it's nice. Would you consider doing some ANG Commandos? Maybe Air America too??

thanks again for all your great artwork!

Corey

Edited by KursadA

I just ordered a kit to take a look- thanks for the suggestion, Corey! I have been mulling some 144 scale sheets (starting with transport aircraft like C-130 and others), but some sheets for kits like the new F-16 are not out of the question either.

How about some Japanese marking for the William's C-46. Now that would be cool. I had a kit many years ago but sold it due to lack of marking that interested me. Now with some JASDF or even IAF markings......

I just ordered a kit to take a look- thanks for the suggestion, Corey! I have been mulling some 144 scale sheets (starting with transport aircraft like C-130 and others), but some sheets for kits like the new F-16 are not out of the question either.

C-130 decals would be most welcomed! I've got a long list of mainstream kits that could benefit from aftermarket decals. If you ever did do some 1/144th decals, I really like the idea of multiple aircraft (C-130, F-16, B-36, etc.) all on one sheet (similar to what Wolfpak did).

John

Hi Kursad,

I hope not to derail this thread, but since it is about the C-46...

Given the Ice Pilots series on TV with their vintage C-46, DC-3, DC-4 and L-188 Electra aircraft - all available models in 144th scale - would there be a chance of a Buffalo Airways sheet covering its main fleet types? Besides the question of interest that such a subject would or would not generate among modellers and decal producer, do you think that in this particular case there would be an issue of copyright? I mean Buffalo has some own merchandise on sale as far as I understood and...

Bottom line: I would love such a sheet! Or some separate ones for those four types :)

Thanks for considering the C-46! I have to agree, the KC-97 and C-130 would be nice too!!!

Corey

• 7 years later...
On 2/5/2013 at 11:35 AM, niki4703 said:

Hi Kursad,

I hope not to derail this thread, but since it is about the C-46...

Given the Ice Pilots series on TV with their vintage C-46, DC-3, DC-4 and L-188 Electra aircraft - all available models in 144th scale - would there be a chance of a Buffalo Airways sheet covering its main fleet types? Besides the question of interest that such a subject would or would not generate among modellers and decal producer, do you think that in this particular case there would be an issue of copyright? I mean Buffalo has some own merchandise on sale as far as I understood and...

Bottom line: I would love such a sheet! Or some separate ones for those four types 🙂

Big fan of Ice Pilots as well.  I'm actually building Buffalo's C-46 C-FAVO...or trying to at least.  The challenge is trying to match the Buffalo green color from photos.  Sometimes it looks more aqua, in others it looks more minty.  I emailed Mikey McBryan a couple of times over the last six months trying to get an actual paint color to no avail.  I think that I'm close to just picking something that looks about right to me and spraying it.

Cameron

Edited by Cameron Lynch
  • 4 months later...

I finally got a reply from Buffalo Airways about the color they use on their aircraft.  They sent me this and said, "Closest to the actual thing would probably be what you can see here (as a good guess):  Something between forest green and jade on this scheme."  They then attached this:

green-colour-names-1.thumb.png.f295dada30133e302a5601ebb61e046e.png

• 4 months later...
  • 2 weeks later...

Well I took the plunge and ordered three.  Now, waiting for Kursad to print the decals.  Air America for sure, and I like those Air Resupply Squadron markings for California, Maryland, Rhode Island & West Virginia.

Air_America_C-46_d.JPG.4fc26516a6151ba4628b49954710f6b5.JPG

Bild-01.jpg.659e42d2dab36e8c4e5eb6bb663d71b4.jpg

Edited by Dutch
  • 1 month later...
48 minutes ago, Charlie D. said:

Well....Valom just announced a new tool 1/72 C-46 kit! Maybe a sheet for those as well!

It has been on the list for years - really close to being finished after I gave up hope on finding details of a Burma nose-art bird.

• 2 weeks later...
  • 1 month later...

Woohoo! My Hobby Search Japan box arrived yesterday with the three Platz 1/144 C-46D kits. That order only took 90 days, start to finish.  It is a little jewel of a kit. Kursad, let me know if you need to borrow one for the 1/144 scale C-46 decals.  

• KursadA changed the title to CD72093 - 1/72 C-46 Commando