Grumman Iron Works Group Build Proposal

57 members have voted

1. 1. What say you to a Grumman Iron Works GB?

• Count me in!
    • No. What can I say, I just don't get it

Who's interested in a Grumman group build?

I have strong interest in the aircraft from when I worked there from 84-89. I was an engineer in Bethpage, and did some analyses of the EA6, F14, and E2C. I have very fond memories of working there and met some outstanding people--including my wife :)/>/>/>

We have a truly amzing selection of kits, PE, resin, and decals. Widely available kits include F4Fs, F6Fs, and F14s, in all of their many forms. Among the many others are the F9F, A6, EA6, E2C, C2, TBF, the about-to-be-released HU-16, and OV-1. There are even some rare ones, like the Duck, Widgeon, F5F, and X-29. Not sure there's an AgCat though... Scales range from 1/32 to 1/144. We even have some simple kits for kids.

We could leave it open to anything, including the LEM. Or, we could limit it to just military aircraft or perhaps a specific era. Personally, I'm leaning to anything that was built and identified as Grumman. Let us know in the comments.

Since I have zero experience moderating a group build, I would hope somebody that does have experience will moderate too.

Edited by David N Lombard

Think this one is a good idea. Tons of airframes (and postal trucks) could be done for this one. Suggest you make a "poll" to see how many people might joing up. Gives the GB mods an idea of if the idea is a winner or not.

This is outstanding! Keep those votes coming!

Looks like there's an overwhelming tide for anything Grumman! From the LEM, (when I was there, many of the old timers would wax poetic about "the LEM days") to the canoe. Trucks included the Grumman Olsen vans, a common regional sight, the Postal truck, and fire trucks. There were also civil aircraft, including the Gulfstream line of corporate aircraft, Grumman American light aircraft, Ag-cats, and the "Gulfhawk II" variant of the F3F.

Time to start the template.

Name: Grumman Iron Works GB

Dates: July 13 - Dec '13

Mods: David Lombard (me), and others yet to volunteer

Link to planning thread

Description: A celebration of all things Grumman. Aircraft, spacecraft, trucks, and boats. Must have been built, at least as a prototype, and must have carried the Grumman name (Northrup-Grumman and Flxible Bus are off-topic).

The start date is a guess, so far only 2 are listed starting in July v. 3 in March. I also showed the standard 6 month duration, but personally, I'd prefer a little longer, like 9 months.

I really want to focus on Grumman v. the current Northrup-Grumman. The Wikipedia entry is mostly complete (they don't list the Gulfhawk II explicitly, but it is listed under the F3F entry). Having written that, I do have my reservations about Flxible Bus. Hey, I just saw the the Grumman/Piccard PX-15 Ben Franklin submersible for the first time--that would be cool!

How say you, the participants in this party?!

Edited to exclude Northrup-Grumman and Flxible

Edited by David N Lombard

Personally I'd end it in 1994 when Northrop bought Grumman. That is similar to the way the Boeing GB handled it although the situations are reversed.

That's the way I would do it.

Mee too! Sounds interesting.. maybe I'll be in with an Intruder!