1/32 Revell F-14A Tomcat VF-84

Finally I am able to get started with the Revell F-14A. I will be building it in VF-84 Jolly Rogers in 1978ish with markings from the Tamiya Cat I have in the stash. This is my first 1/32 scale plane and I want to use this as a learning build before I tackle the Tamiya cat which I will convert to an F-14B.

The kit came to me via another ARC member, can't remember who, and was previously started, but mostly brought back to point zero.

First off here is the kit parts laid out with the box:

100_9860_zps6384768b.jpg

Now here is the forward fuselage and cockpit as I received it. I will be painting over with Light Grey:

100_9861_zpsf7231264.jpg

And now the state of the cockpit parts after painting.

100_9878_zps5add755e.jpg

That's all for now. I hope to get more done by tomorrow night.

Happy Modelling,

Denis

Denis

Nice to see you finally joining the "go big or go home" club. :thumbsup:

This will be a great practice build in prep for your Tamiya kit. I know how much you love Tomcats - you'll really enjoy the opportunity to detail this one, and especially the Tamiya one.

ALF

Thanks everyone for all your comments. Small update tonight. I got the tub masked off and sprayed MM Acryl Flat Black on the instrument panels as well as sprayed the kit ejection seats. I also put one of the seats from the Tamiya Cat since I will be using AM ones for that to see which ones would be better. So far I am undecided. I also handpainted the pilot and RIO IPs and gave them a little dry brushing with white. That's it so far. I will drybrush the tub and pick out the some colours tomorrow after the black dries.

100_9880_zps72bec91d.jpg

100_9881_zpsee721875.jpg

Kit Seats!

100_9882_zps822303cc.jpg

Tamiya Seat!

100_9883_zps350d1eb6.jpg

Comparison shots:

100_9884_zps851977a6.jpg

100_9885_zps2623dbb1.jpg

TTFN,

Denis

I remember building this kit with my dad probably 16 years ago or so. I tackled the cockpit and small things and he did the major assembly. I remember it was horribly warped and was a b to get together. I don't think we had any weapons either so or went naked. Ill try n take an inspiration pic this Sunday. The bird has lived at our friends house ever since. A true Tomcat fan.

All right, I've been able to get some detail painting in and have the cockpit done and ready to install. The only delema I am facing now is that the forward fuselage can't be closed up until I have the nose gear bay done. However, the NGB is molded in one huge piece and will be difficult to spice up AND it is very boring for detail. Now I am thinking to either detail it as best I can as it is, cut it apart and detail it or follow the ALF principle and leave it alone and only allow pretty women with low cut tops to look underneath the model. :D/>

Here are some pics.

100_9886_zps7d8286f0.jpg

100_9887_zpsb8ad2b61.jpg

100_9888_zpsf11f78f5.jpg

100_9889_zpse18e00f0.jpg

100_9892_zps469a175d.jpg

100_9893_zps423afcbf.jpg

100_9894_zpsda4a8957.jpg

100_9895_zps7580f3f2.jpg

100_9896_zps9703f14e.jpg

100_9898_zps97f0693f.jpg

Happy Modelling,

Denis

Denis

I love those front displays. How did you make them glow green like that?

As for the gear bay - the ALF principle! :woot.gif:/>

ALF

Thanks ALF,

The displays were painted with Tamiya Clear Green, a trick I have been using on all my modern jets. Usually I paint some lines in white first but this time I tried painting a layer of gun metal first. I think next time I will try dark grey as an under coat and see how that looks to soften the green a bit.

Denis

• 2 months later...

Been a while but I now have some progess to report. Now that I am feeling better since my surgery I am able to get back to the workbench and press forward with this project.

The main sticking point for me was the cockpit. I was not happy with the stock IP shrouds and since I don't need the ones from my Tamiya Cat I decided try and graft them onto the Revell.

Here is what the Revell looked like before I cut it up.

100_9907_zps66252b3e.jpg

100_9909_zps5b5217e6.jpg

Test fit of the Tamiya parts:

100_9912_zps75da674c.jpg

Then I put some plastic card to support the new shrouds:

100_9931_zps0fa6a2c0.jpg

100_9932_zpsee4f10fe.jpg

Finally I glued on the Tamiya parts. Here is what they looked like before I glued them. I painted the insides black then glued them on.

100_9933_zps13701dbc.jpg

100_9934_zps0cc5aaf7.jpg

I am happy with the results and am now waiting for putty to dry on the seams. Tomorrow I will look at what next to tackle.

TTFN,

Denis

You've turned a so-so cockpit into one with much more WOW factor. Looks good.

ALF

Thanks ALF. I'm just glad to be back at the bench and at this build. I'll probably start some other sub-assemblies tomorrow before thinking about the main fuselage.

Denis

Nice work, Denis. Are your going to give the cockpit a bit of a wash to dirty it up a bit? Sorry to hear of your visit under the knife but glad to hear you're feeling better.

Good luck with your build. I'll be checking in for updates.

Mike

Nice work, Denis. Are your going to give the cockpit a bit of a wash to dirty it up a bit? Sorry to hear of your visit under the knife but glad to hear you're feeling better.

Good luck with your build. I'll be checking in for updates.

Mike

Thanks Mike. I can almost eat normally again!

I hadn't thought about applying a wash to the pit. I might after I paint the IP covers to bring out the detail there. But it won't be too dirty as this is going to be a 1978-79 VF-84 Bird. Still having the fresh new plane smell.

Denis

But it won't be too dirty as this is going to be a 1978-79 VF-84 Bird. Still having the fresh new plane smell.

Roger! Speak to ALF. I think he tried to patent that fresh, new cockpit smell in one of his builds over in the Living History thread. :rolleyes:

Roger! Speak to ALF. I think he tried to patent that fresh, new cockpit smell in one of his builds over in the Living History thread. :rolleyes:/>

Good suggestion, Mike.

Denis, if you want tips on obtaining that new cockpit smell, just invite me over for one of your patented lattés - I'd love to see that build in person.

ALF