This is a Revell 1/48 scale F-4C Phantom representing the aircraft that was responsible for the first MIG Kill by a USAF aircraft. On July 10, 1965, FJ-693 flown by Captain Kenneth E. Holcombe and Reo Arthur C. Clarke became the fist USAF Phantom MIG KILLER aircraft of the Vietnam war. Assigned to the 45th TFS out of Ubon, Thailand, they downed a Mig-17 with an AIM-9 Sidewinder missile.

163_zpsd0f541c3.jpg

161_zps68efd522.jpg

162_zpsb29120f3.jpg

167_zps30e9a679.jpg

176_zps660d9d89.jpg

168_zps8bc1d879.jpg

173_zps6b1eaefa.jpg

165_zps6a97e7a6.jpg

Edited by Cap'n Chaos

Nice Phantom :thumbsup:/>/>

You may want to check your references. It looks like your afterburner nozzle are not in all the way.

Steven L :wave:/>/>

Thank you for saying it's nice but I have to disagree concerning the afterburner cans. I know I am far from perfect but I am usually pretty clear on my Phantom builds. Maybe these will help clear up your confusion. Note the picture clearly shows the can extending to the arresting hook.

f-4c_19_of_37.jpg

Great job! Those USAF F-4's looked great in that scheme. One minor point, though. In the early days of the F-4C, they still carried the USN style inner wing pylons. These were more angular than the later USAF style pylons.

Great job! Those USAF F-4's looked great in that scheme. One minor point, though. In the early days of the F-4C, they still carried the USN style inner wing pylons. These were more angular than the later USAF style pylons.

Pete, thanks for the nice comment on the Phantom but your post has brought something to my mind and this is not directed towards you or any one individual in particular. Since this was built OOB as are 99% of my builds, I guess I have to say, Sometimes ya just gotta go with what ya got! As a matter of fact folks, it really does get old after while to see people's builds, mine included,get broke down and analyzed for tid-bits of accuracy. I am quite confident in my abilities as to not be offended even if a person hates my build and says it sucks. Not everyone may be that confident or is just beginning or returning to a new world of building after many years away and the little, petty things should not matter so much. If a persons build has a gaping seam line,or they used the wrong colors,I don't mind telling someone in a constructive manor what my thoughts are. I appreciate critiques of my work but I just want to point out that mine and many other peoples builds are done for fun and personal enjoyment. I am not an aeronautical engineer nor an expert in all things aviation nor do I always give a flying fajita about the small things. I am human and I do make mistakes like the wrong reference date, right missile wrong variant. I strive for realism over accuracy in my builds. If I was entering my build in the IPMS nationals or something, then I would most likely dig deep in my pocket buy up all the aftermarket crap that I could for it, spend countless hours to make sure it was 100% historically accurate and probably tear my hair out when anything went wrong during the build.

I love to take a cheap(older)20.00 kit and try to make it look as good or in some cases, even better than the 50.00 to 100.00 kits. I would take a 1/72 scale Revell Phantom for quality over an over engineered Hasegawa Phantom any day of the week and have an extra 40 or 50 bucks to boot. I guess it makes some people feel good or maybe even superior to point out these small details and I realize some are just trying to help fill in the gaps, but man, it really gets old after awhile. At least to me it does! I have seen people gripe over the rivets being too large or too small or too deep etc., over an extremely nice build. How is this the builders fault, he/she worked hard, turned out a nice build and then has their effort diminished by what wasn't right about what was provided in the box. I am just pointing out here folks that it is easy to become a bit anal over accuracy and lose site of the overall build. If a build stinks, it stinks. Just say nice job or say nothing at all. I don't understand why or how a good build or even a great build can benefit from being told about accuracy short comings after the fact and especially when a build is OOB. What is the point? Is it for the benefit of the builder or too boost the ego or reputation of the person pointing out the inadequacies? This Modeller just wants to have fun!

Edited by Cap'n Chaos

Joe thanks for the nice comment on the Phantom but your post has brought something to my mind and this is not directed towards you or any one individual in particular.

The post you quoted was not mine. I've edited my post, as I appear to have offended you. Sorry.

Couldn't agree more with you Cap't Chaos. Top of the board does say NO CRITIQUEING! I think thats one sweet looking phantom no matter who made it, or how few rivets short of the real thing it is.Point is its not REAL. Just plastic that will collect dust.Looks real enough to me.Great job on a classic kit! :thumbsup:

Pete, thanks for the nice comment on the Phantom but your post has brought something to my mind and this is not directed towards you or any one individual in particular. Since this was built OOB as are 99% of my builds, I guess I have to say, Sometimes ya just gotta go with what ya got! As a matter of fact folks, it really does get old after while to see people's builds, mine included,get broke down and analyzed for tid-bits of accuracy. I am quite confident in my abilities as to not be offended even if a person hates my build and says it sucks. Not everyone may be that confident or is just beginning or returning to a new world of building after many years away and the little, petty things should not matter so much. If a persons build has a gaping seam line,or they used the wrong colors,I don't mind telling someone in a constructive manor what my thoughts are. I appreciate critiques of my work but I just want to point out that mine and many other peoples builds are done for fun and personal enjoyment. I am not an aeronautical engineer nor an expert in all things aviation nor do I always give a flying fajita about the small things. I am human and I do make mistakes like the wrong reference date, right missile wrong variant. I strive for realism over accuracy in my builds. If I was entering my build in the IPMS nationals or something, then I would most likely dig deep in my pocket buy up all the aftermarket crap that I could for it, spend countless hours to make sure it was 100% historically accurate and probably tear my hair out when anything went wrong during the build.

I love to take a cheap(older)20.00 kit and try to make it look as good or in some cases, even better than the 50.00 to 100.00 kits. I would take a 1/72 scale Revell Phantom for quality over an over engineered Hasegawa Phantom any day of the week and have an extra 40 or 50 bucks to boot. I guess it makes some people feel good or maybe even superior to point out these small details and I realize some are just trying to help fill in the gaps, but man, it really gets old after awhile. At least to me it does! I have seen people gripe over the rivets being too large or too small or too deep etc., over an extremely nice build. How is this the builders fault, he/she worked hard, turned out a nice build and then has their effort diminished by what wasn't right about what was provided in the box. I am just pointing out here folks that it is easy to become a bit anal over accuracy and lose site of the overall build. If a build stinks, it stinks. Just say nice job or say nothing at all. I don't understand why or how a good build or even a great build can benefit from being told about accuracy short comings after the fact and especially when a build is OOB. What is the point? Is it for the benefit of the builder or too boost the ego or reputation of the person pointing out the inadequacies? This Modeller just wants to have fun!

First of all, that's a great looking build. Congrats :)

Secondly, although this is the "Display Case" forum and there is "no crtiqueing" (maybe they should have sent a PM), I think Pete had good intentions in his post as I think he was trying to point out something you may not have known. Granted, we all build for fun at the end of it, but many modelers have a certain level of accuracy they want to achieve like having the correct ordnance or ... pylons. That kind of accuracy isn't rivet counting in my opinion. Realism go hand in hand with accuracy, would it be realistic if I hung a B61 nuclear weapon on my Vietnam F-4D?

Having said that, it sounds like you had fun with this build and are happy with the results, that's great and that is what is most important. Personally, I never bring my models to shows; if I'm happy with it, good enough.

What decals did you use? Don't see many grey F-4C's.....love it! 

The stencils are a culmination of several leftover decals from other Phantom kits and the Markings for the 45th TFS are AeroMaster decals of Early Vietnam Phantoms which I believe are now discontinued. I was able to find this set on Ebay.

Alright, I guess I owe you an apology.

First of all, I really think you did a great job on that kit.

You put your model in the Display Case section, which is purely for our viewing pleasure, and not for criticizing builds. I broke that rule, and for that, I am sorry. If I post a build here on ARC, I post it in the Display Case too and I don't look for people to criticize (constructive or not) my build either.

It was never my intention to bash your model to bits. If I wanted to, I could find a few more points, even. I merely spotted something you might not know, and maybe were interested in it. Clearly you don't care too much for minor things, which I think is actually great. Pursuing the greatest accuracy on a model can sometimes even take the fun of building and finishing a model away. I know it does for me. Modeling should be fun in the first place. And I agree making a good model out of an older, simpler and cheaper kit might be more satisfying than a modern, expensive, shake and bake kit.

But, for me, just saying "nice job" on a build is a bit too easy, and if done too often, becomes a bit meaningless to me. And just looking at someone's build and then move on without a reply is not fair either. I must admit I do that too often, too.

So, I'm sorry if I took a bit of the fun away. It was not my intention.

Now,what's next on your workbench? :)

Really nice!! You almost never see a USAF F-4 in that scheme. One tiny observation if I may - those are AIM-9L/M's, which date from the late 1970s. It should probably have AIM-9B's at the time of that kill.

Really nice!! You almost never see a USAF F-4 in that scheme. One tiny observation if I may - those are AIM-9L/M's, which date from the late 1970s. It should probably have AIM-9B's at the time of that kill.

read some of the comments above.

Alright, I guess I owe you an apology.

First of all, I really think you did a great job on that kit.

You put your model in the Display Case section, which is purely for our viewing pleasure, and not for criticizing builds. I broke that rule, and for that, I am sorry. If I post a build here on ARC, I post it in the Display Case too and I don't look for people to criticize (constructive or not) my build either.

It was never my intention to bash your model to bits. If I wanted to, I could find a few more points, even. I merely spotted something you might not know, and maybe were interested in it. Clearly you don't care too much for minor things, which I think is actually great. Pursuing the greatest accuracy on a model can sometimes even take the fun of building and finishing a model away. I know it does for me. Modeling should be fun in the first place. And I agree making a good model out of an older, simpler and cheaper kit might be more satisfying than a modern, expensive, shake and bake kit.

But, for me, just saying "nice job" on a build is a bit too easy, and if done too often, becomes a bit meaningless to me. And just looking at someone's build and then move on without a reply is not fair either. I must admit I do that too often, too.

So, I'm sorry if I took a bit of the fun away. It was not my intention.

Now,what's next on your workbench? :)/>

Hello Pete, like I said in my post, it was not to be solely directed at you. Actually this build has been picked apart on another web site as well, for the same issues of Missiles, Pylons, and Burner cans. I can honestly say I blew it on the missiles and just wasn't thinking. I guess and used the wrong set from the kit etc. Perhaps I was having a bad morning at the time, I can't remember. I did not post my little rant to defend myself or my build as I feel adequate enough in my skills not to have too. I was frustrated at the time because it kept being pointed out and I was thinking about people that may be new to modeling, or returning to all the new things that modelling has to offer or just perhaps a lower skill level. If they think a build is good and then have all the little things pointed out, it may deter them from posting their own because they feel it would never be good enough. I myself do not like to just say nice job and move on, especially if I am not being truthful. That is the only way people learn is to let them know in a constructive manor.I guess I focus more on issues like construction, seam lines, color, weathering etc. but I guess too that could hurt someones feelings if taken the wrong way. Like I stated, your post only reminded me of this and was not the cause of what I felt compelled to write. Unless given to me, I very, very seldom use aftermarket parts in my builds and should have pointed out better that these were the pylons in the box so these were the pylons I used. That is what I mean when I say the little things I don't worry about. Some folks can get crazy because the nose cone of something is a millimeter too long etc. I am sure every one knows at least one person in every forum like that. Pete, I would also be glad to hear some of the other points you feel you could tell me about this build as I am very interested in knowing what they are. Feel free to PM me if you like.No feelings hurt here guys and I look forward to posting more builds in the near future. Working on 72 Mustang and 48 Sabre Dog at the moment.

Ray

• 2 weeks later...

Nice job on the Phantom.

What decals did you use? Don't see many grey F-4C's.....love it!

http://modelingmadne...ero/am48763.htm

I picked up a set and part two not that long ago from an online hobby shop so they are out there. The place I got mine are out of stock now but they are out there.

Edited by Spectre711