Hot Dogs for Superbowl Party

Hi all,

An Aussie here throwing a Superbowl party and would like to serve up some authentic US style dogs. I have the dogs, I have the buns, I have the mustard, now what else do you put on them? Yes I know that there are many variations throughout the US. Would like some ideas of what your favourute toppings are. And when you say chili? What do you mean? The spice or the meat mixture with beans?

Thanks all and Go Niners!

Tony

The chili would be the meat mix with beans.....topped with shredded cheese. As for normal condiments, you listed mustard, but failed to list ketchup or relish. Some people are also known to put diced onions on their dogs.

And, yes, GO NINERS!

Keep your dogs. I like a good Bratwurst. Boil them in beer then put em on the BBQ, get them on the bun and put what ever your heart desires on top. I like to put catchup, mayo, mustard and last but not least, Jalapeños. The spicier the better. Oh yeah dont forget about the beer. LOL go Ravens. Just because my Steelers got taken out so early.

You can top them with mustard, yellow or spicey brown, or do relish and mustard or

ketchup or mustard, relish and chopped onions. How bout a "shrimp on the barbie"

I much prefer your shrimp to our dogs!---John

OOOPPPPSSSS! Almost forgot the sauer kraut! :bandhead2:

Edited by john53

Saurekraut is also hugely delicious on dogs.

Hot dogs are the kitchen sink of food items. If you can think of it it probably tastes good on a hot dog.

My faves

Chili n cheese

Sauerkraut n spicy mustard

Sautéed peppers and regular yellow mustard.

Hotdogs are regional so you will get lots of answers.

This might help

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Hot_dog_variations

The wiki article attributes California style with some rather unusual add ons. From my experience the "standard" California style condements would be ketchup, mustard, onions and relish with jalapenos, tomatos, chopped pickles, grated chedder cheese and sourcrout being common extras.

Where chili is concerned I've seen it done with or without beans (the purists will insist chili is a meat sauce without beans). Chili dogs usually offer the option of chedder cheese and chopped onions.

Hi all,

An Aussie here throwing a Superbowl party and would like to serve up some authentic US style dogs. I have the dogs, I have the buns, I have the mustard, now what else do you put on them? Yes I know that there are many variations throughout the US. Would like some ideas of what your favourute toppings are. And when you say chili? What do you mean? The spice or the meat mixture with beans?

Thanks all and Go Niners!

Tony

Tony, the relish the guys refer to is difficult to find in Aus. It is actually what you would call a Gherkin Relish. It is really nice and a hot dog is nothing without it.Look for sweet gherkin relish in the supermarket. This would be close enough.

Tony, the relish the guys refer to is difficult to find in Aus. It is actually what you would call a Gherkin Relish. It is really nice and a hot dog is nothing without it.Look for sweet gherkin relish in the supermarket. This would be close enough.

Cheers Mate. Will do.

I Like my Hotdogs with only mustard and onions on them..... Once in a while I'll have a Chilidog. Sausages are a totally different story....

Or you can localize it by adding Vegemite.... :rofl:

While I'm not American, I'll toss in that I love grilled hot dogs with just barbecue sauce on them (toast the buns on the grill too of course). Canadian Club Honey Smoke or mostly anything made by Bullseye is awesome on a hot dog. Other toppings are optional (mustard goes well).

Jerry's Wood Fired Dogs serve the best hot dogs, and they're here the OC (Orange County, CA).

Here's what they will put on yer dog:

Mustard, Dijon Mustard, Spicy Brown Mustard, Cleveland Stadium Mustard, Ketchup, Mayonnaise, Chipotle Mayo, BBQ Sauce, Teriyaki Sauce, Tapatio Hot Sauce, Tabasco Sauce

Grilled Onions, Bright Green Relish, Red/White Onions, Sweet Relish, Grilled Peppers, Cole Slaw, Jalapeño Peppers, Sauerkraut, Sport Peppers, Tomatoes, Pepperoncinis, Lettuce, Pickle Slices, Cucumbers, Pickle Spears

Celery Salt, Garlic Salt, Bacon Bits, Black Olives

They'll also do chili dogs, chicago dogs, bacon dogs, &etc.