1/48 HH-3F Pelican How To ?

Hi Gents,

To the best of my knowledge, no kit exists for a 1/48 scale HH-3F Pelican. While I have seen some 1/72 scale versions crafted with kits avaiable in that scale, I was wondering if anyone here had built/kitbashed one in 1/48? If so, what kits did you use? Any assistance would be greatly appreciated! Thanks.

David

A few years back an outfit named Attic released a 1/48 resin conversion for the Hasegawa SH-3 kits, but it's junk. The resin is bad, bad, bad. Badly warped, lots of bubbles, very thick, hard and brittle. I don't get buyer's remorse often, but that conversion's an exception.

I thought I had seen a thread here of some one doing their own conversion. Ring any bells?

I was thinking the same thing as I had used it as a reference on a conversion of my own. It used 2 hasegawa kits to make a fuselage long enough for the pelican.

The two avenues are spelled out, the Attic kit or scratch your own. Cobrahistorian scratched his own in similar fashion as shown by the gent from Italy. I have the Attic kit which I am blending in to the Hasegawa kit, it saves all that scratch building time. While the Attic resin casting is mediocre to poor, it's easy to rework into good pieces. Granted, it takes two Hasegawa kits to do this but I found them at shows with missing pieces or decals for dirt cheap.

Chris M

Hi Guys,

It is hard to tell from photos of the kit, but could you take the tail end of the CH-53E SUPER SEA STALLION USMC 1/48 12209 kit and graft it onto the Hasegawa front? The modifcations to the front length, doors and windows would still need to be done as in the Italian modeler's build above, but it appears that it might work... Any thoughts?

David

Hi Guys,

It is hard to tell from photos of the kit, but could you take the tail end of the CH-53E SUPER SEA STALLION USMC 1/48 12209 kit and graft it onto the Hasegawa front? The modifcations to the front length, doors and windows would still need to be done as in the Italian modeler's build above, but it appears that it might work... Any thoughts?

David

Too big me thinks!

That Italian build is sick... To even dream about having that kind of patience... Not me!

As far as using the CH-53 front, nah, not even the same kind. not even close.

You would have to use 2 SH-3 fuselages and all the other mods as per the italian job, or use the Attic conversion.

Cheers

H.

I went through the Italian guys build thread and I think he tacled it in the correct manner as he saw it. Look at he tail cone and tailrotor pylon it sat in a box atop the fuselage, good thinking. The forward cabin extension was handled just as 'easily', with the scored and bent plasticard, The the rear fusealge, not many other ways you could haev tackled that bit. Most importantly was he gave it a go, because if you want something badly enougth you will find a way to make it. Isn't that what our hobby is all about?