I started building the what if Sherman over the last week.

The Cyberhobby M4A3E8 is a real gem and the upper hull has really gone together quickly with very little fuss. So far I've only replaced the molded on hatch handles with twist tie wire.

Heres my progress so far.

100_2360_zpse4abced8.jpg

100_2359_zps76db4439.jpg

100_2358_zps3b74452e.jpg

100_2357_zpsb0a2255a.jpg

I added sprue sections to spread the lower hull to meet the upper hull and make the fit a tad better

100_2361_zps923ffa89.jpg

And last was the first of the suspension bogies, theres six of them, each with 27 parts........the first one was almost a nightmare.

100_2362_zpsf0e7a963.jpg

And just out of curiousity, what do you guys use to bend photo-etched fenders? I got the front section for the left side bent but the middle (long) has brought me to a stopping point as far as bening it goes. I'd appreciate suggestions if you guys have any

Thanks for looking, more to follow

Edited by USMC6094

Nice start.

You do realize this isn't a "What If" tank. One was actually built, the Pershing and Sherman had turret rings of the same diameter.

I use a steel ruler for bending long pieces. I tape it to a smooth flat surface, place the PE under the edge, then us a single edge razor blade to bend the edge. I don't try to form the crease at this point though. Once I get the bend started along the entire length, I use another ruler to finish it.

G

I got majority of the turret assembled. I used a mix of Testors liquid glue and Tamiya putty to give the turret a more appropriate cast look.

Then I used parts from the kit, the commanders cupola, sighting vane and the light on the turret roof ( atleast I think its a light), the 50 cal pedestal mount and gun.

I also noticed that when compared to the Dragon/Cyberhobby parts of the same type kit, the Hobbyboss details are much softer and have less relief.

Pictures to follow over the weekend

made lots of progress in the last week or so.

I got the turret complteted, assembly wise and have just about got the painting complete. Assembly was great, the Hobbyboss kit went together as easily anything I've ever built. The only area I was concerned about was the long light gun barrel. I stiffened it up with a piece of sprue back near the breech end and a round tooth pick near the muzzle. I restored the scribed detail with an exacto razor saw and then added the muzzle brake.

I finished bending the PE fenders and attached them last night as well as the intake trunking assembly for the engine compartment. Assembly continued with the driver and co-drvers hatches as well as attaching the lower to the upper hull.

Now my biggest worry is adding some tone to the dull OD camo. Anyone got any ideas or helpful hints there?

hatches

100_2369_zps271d1159.jpg

intake trunking

100_2368_zpsb3020c42.jpg

100_2367_zps6e3e6b2d.jpg

Edited by USMC6094
  • 3 weeks later...

made some more headway, I got one run of track assembled, each track has 79 seperate guide teeth, yippee!!!!

The hull and turret are more or less complete assembly wise, now its the road wheels and return rollers that are getting all my attention.

pictures to follow.

Not too much to report today, this thing is really drawing out. I'm so close to the end of it that I can see it done in my minds eye, but Lord all Mighty, Cyber Hobby has made some of the Sherman parts WAY TOO COMPLICATED(alot of its on detail you cant even see in the end).............

I dont ever remember kits as in depth when I built years ago, hell this Sherman chassis has me looking for and buying old school Tamiya kits just for thier simplicity.

Now dont take my ranting as bad mouthing either Dragon or Cyber Hobby, but this tanks chassis is going to be upwards of 500 parts at the conclusion of assembly, I'm honestly getting burnt out on the assembly but I'm gutting it out, slowly but surely.

I'll post some pictures this weekend.

Thanks for listening to my rant......

Edited by USMC6094

Thanks for the encouragement Holmes, here are some pictures of the last progress.....

100_2394_zps0e7261ac.jpg

100_2391_zpsbec12d28.jpg

for the commanders vision blocks I used testors silver coated with tamiya clear blue.

100_2390_zps5135edb7.jpg

100_2389_zpsbf45d2f5.jpg

Edited by USMC6094

and I have a quick about the color of the steel cheveron T80 ( I think style tracks) tracks, whats a good base color for them? I'm not going to weather this model very much so I dont want to have it looking like it just came from the proving ground lol

• 4 weeks later...

no new pictures of late, I havent been able to get myself to work on anything in the last three weeks, but I hope to get the other run of tracks completed this weekend and work on the all the tires for the road wheels.

• 1 month later...

This is a most interesting project. It makes the IDF Super Shermans look a bit weak. Indy link tracks are quite the PITA to do. And some of the more involved ones like for the HVSS suspension with seperate end connectors and center guide teeth are overkill. No wonder you're going bnkers. Good luck and I look forward to the next installment here.

• 1 month later...

I went to my local model clubs contest about a three weeks ago and bought an already built up but not painted Tamiya M51 Sherman and after giving the 51 a good looking over and decided I had wasted my money, so I tokk a close look at the running gear and decided use the road wheels from the Tamiya kit on this build.

I had to open up the Cyberhobby axle holes but otherwise it wasnt too bad.

Here she is on road wheels for the first time.

100_2601_zpscb160796.jpg

100_2603_zps2b8a78e3.jpg

100_2602_zps4772096b.jpg

I'm leaning toward using the Tamiya tracks as well since they fit the Cyberhobby drive sprockets.

More to follow

Edited by USMC6094

Canning the parts from the other Sherman really kicked started my desire to get this one finished, so I've been working like crazy the last few days as youve seen from the pictures I posted yesterday.

Anyway, yesterday I got the pioneer tools, as they were called, finished and installed.

This is them in place before the paint.

100_2604_zpsd6b6a424.jpg

And after paint and permanently installed.

100_2605_zps669b0191.jpg

Next is the outer road wheels. These were kind of tedious, I had to hand paint the rubber portions after airbrushing the hubs. This is a picture of either side before I'd completed the rubber portions, all twelve are finished now.

100_2606_zpsb968d86d.jpg

100_2607_zpsb812ea9e.jpg

And last is the rear deck, theres a folding shelf I still have to paint that goes over this part, I believe it was a crank handle for an inertia starter.

100_2608_zps3fa14cb1.jpg

Other progress I havent taken a picture of is the two radio antennas for the turret have been built up using the kit supplied bases and some wire I have just for the purpose of making antennas, and the bow machine gun has been painted and is ready yto install, as well as the inner road wheels are in the process of being completed.

More to follow

Edited by USMC6094

I didnt any work of substance last night, but I did put the track runs on just to see what would be involved later when I put them on for good.

Heres some pictures of her on her feet, just remember that the tracks have yet to be painted and I still have some work to do overall.

100_2609_zps8366e712.jpg

100_2610_zpsfeeb6d24.jpg

100_2611_zpsafe608ec.jpg

Edited by USMC6094