AW101 "Skyfall" from Italeri

Was browsing Hannant's site looking for an Agusta A109 when I found this:

http://www.hannants.co.uk/product/IT1332

I had honestly never heard of it before, and I'm wondering what exactly is in the box - about the only thing I can tell from the photo is that it has the ramp fuselage and four side windows, like the Cormorant and VH-71. Can anyone tell me more about this?

In the box is the standard Italeri Merlin HC1/2 and probably a new set of markigns for the movie.

Be careful!

I've just done some research on all the existing Merlin kits today. The all differ somehow in detail. Of course there ist this issue with single or double tyred main gear, with different noses, cargo ramp or not ...

But the most prominent differences are in the window arrangement on the cabin sidewall parts.

have a look at the Italeri web page, they offer sprue shots as well as other review sites.

Be careful!

I've just done some research on all the existing Merlin kits today. The all differ somehow in detail. Of course there ist this issue with single or double tyred main gear, with different noses, cargo ramp or not ...

But the most prominent differences are in the window arrangement on the cabin sidewall parts.

have a look at the Italeri web page, they offer sprue shots as well as other review sites.

I was always under the impression that the different window lay out came with the utility vs. the asw- type (apologies if I get these names wrong, I'm not really into naval models): the utility EH/AW101, with the ramp that is, has more side windows, while the naval type, with the "straight" ramp- less tail is the one with the fewer side windows. Or am I missing something here? I've built a few 1:72 EH101 Heliliners, and needed two kits for every build, because the Heliliner has the third option: the straight tail with more side windows...

Afaik, only kits of the utility type are in the current Italeri and Revell catalogues (the Skyfall helo being one of them)...?

I was always under the impression that the different window lay out came with the utility vs. the asw- type (apologies if I get these names wrong, I'm not really into naval models): the utility EH/AW101, with the ramp that is, has more side windows, while the naval type, with the "straight" ramp- less tail is the one with the fewer side windows. Or am I missing something here? I've built a few 1:72 EH101 Heliliners, and needed two kits for every build, because the Heliliner has the third option: the straight tail with more side windows...

Afaik, only kits of the utility type are in the current Italeri and Revell catalogues (the Skyfall helo being one of them)...?

Merlin HC.3: 3 full flat windows + big crew entry door window on port side. 3 big flat windows + big window in sliding door on starbord side

Skyfall version: 5 full flat windows + small window on door on port side. 2 flat windows + 1 sliding door window + bubble on starbord side

Marina Militare version: 4 full flat windows + big window in crew door on port side. 3 big flat windows on satbord side + small sliding door window

VH-71: 5 full flat windows + small entry window on port side. 3 full flat windows + big sliding door window on starbord side

CH-149: 5 full flat windows + small entry window on port side. 3 full flat windows + big sliding door window on starbord side

Keep in mind that there are two bubble windows missing in the cormorant kit and this one has as well as the VH-71 only the single wheel main gear. Some of the different cabin parts may have recessed cut-out-fields for additional windows, but there will be the the outher weatherstrip be missing then

therefore, to build a Danish Merlin for example, the best option is to choose the Cormorant or VH-71 version and to convert the main gear, sponson wheel well and crew entry door..

Edited by troschi

Whoah, never knew there were so many different versions! Just looked on the Italeri site and yes: more than the two window configurations I had noticed until now.

Thanks for pointing it out!

Gertjan

Edited by GeejeeZ

Merlin HC.3: 3 full flat windows + big crew entry door window on port side. 3 big flat windows + big window in sliding door on starbord side

Skyfall version: 5 full flat windows + small window on door on port side. 2 flat windows + 1 sliding door window + bubble on starbord side

Marina Militare version: 4 full flat windows + big window in crew door on port side. 3 big flat windows on satbord side + small sliding door window

VH-71: 5 full flat windows + small entry window on port side. 3 full flat windows + big sliding door window on starbord side

CH-149: 5 full flat windows + small entry window on port side. 3 full flat windows + big sliding door window on starbord side

Keep in mind that there are two bubble windows missing in the cormorant kit and this one has as well as the VH-71 only the single wheel main gear. Some of the different cabin parts may have recessed cut-out-fields for additional windows, but there will be the the outher weatherstrip be missing then

therefore, to build a Danish Merlin for example, the best option is to choose the Cormorant or VH-71 version and to convert the main gear, sponson wheel well and crew entry door..

Can you comment on the 1/48 Airfix Merlin and what would need to be done to convert it to a Canadian Comorant. I hear it would require a new fuselage.

• 2 weeks later...

I now have this kit in my hands, and have been looking through the box contents. From some of the details I've found, it looks like the helicopter used in the movie was one of the prototypes - the instructions have you blanking off the smallest of the cockpit windows, you're supposed to sand off the flotation devices below said windows, and while the kit comes with twin-wheel main gear, you're supposed to cut one of the wheels off...

The cabin window layout is also not one I remember seeing before, what with the dome window just aft of the starboard cabin door.

I'm unsure if I'll build it according to the instructions or if I'll do some cross-kitting with the other merlin-family kits I've got on order for next week (a TTI and a HC.3)

I've gotten a few pieces put together now (and, I've taken the time to see the movie...) and it appears they have fixed some of the issues with the kit - most prominently, the side panels now actually fit, without settling too deep in their recesses. A very welcome surprise. I can also tell you to ignore the kit instructions to use only single main wheels - the helicopter in the film has twins, which is what the kit supplies and how it's shown in the built-up photos on the box.

Can you comment on the 1/48 Airfix Merlin and what would need to be done to convert it to a Canadian Comorant. I hear it would require a new fuselage.

Good question, that is what I want to build too.

If you go the the-blueprinter.com there are lots of scale drawings, you'll probably find the Comorant there and then you can compare them to the kit. I think some new PE window surrounds and windows might be the easiest route to take. The forward fuselage and rear are depending on the role are all similar (ie, ramp or no ramp).

Having just received my Merlin kit, which incidently is a beauty as good if not better than the Lynx. To convert it to anything but a version with the ramp is going to be a mission. Then even the ramp version depending upon the window layout will require major surgery, as it will entail modifying the cabin internals too.

I believe there may be a Royal Naval conversion available sometime later in the year, most of the major componants of the kit require extensive re-engineering.

I'd suggest waiting to see if Airfix (or for that matter anyone else) will release a Cormorant - as has already been said, restructuring the interior is one of those things where by the time you're half way through, there'll be a kit out...

Consider the Cobra company Seahawk conversions, they basically had to supply a new fuselage in its entirety...