An exterior look at the EP-3E variant of the P-3 orion.

IMG_1402_zpsfc795f4a.jpg

IMG_2919_zps91cccf9d.jpg

IMG_4203_zps99a4f041.jpg

IMG_4241_zps331ee688.jpg

IMG_4254_zps89299c10.jpg

Flap area. With the new resin flaps by CMR on the market, this will give you a look at the area for painting ref.

IMG_7809_zps66a23908.jpg

Wing tip antenna. These are included in all the Revell/Hasegawa P-3 releases as the CP-140 has a similar set up.

IMG_9048_zpsf225e291.jpg

IMG_9049_zpsbacec01f.jpg

Edited by 82Whitey51

The first pic is of Bu # 156511, which is the EP-3E that was downed by a ChiCom Finback at Hainan Island. Is this a pic before, or after, the forced landing in China? IIRC, 511 was cut up and brought back to CONUS aboard a Antonov AN-124.

The first pic is of Bu # 156511, which is the EP-3E that was downed by a ChiCom Finback at Hainan Island. Is this a pic before, or after, the forced landing in China? IIRC, 511 was cut up and brought back to CONUS aboard a Antonov AN-124.

Well after. That was taken in Nov 2011. The wings got scrapped upon return from China. The wing box (P-3 wings are all one piece...sort of like the models) was bent. So, they replaced them with wings from a boneyard bird. The fuselage of the EP is obviously where the big differences are, both externally and internally, so that was why the whole aircraft wasn't scrapped. They aren't building/converting anymore and they are used extensively.

Alot of people thought 511 was brought back to flying condition as a gesture of "We'll show them! Fly again she will!". BS. Bottomline is they needed the bird back.

Edited by 82Whitey51

Well after. That was taken in Nov 2011. The wings got scrapped upon return from China. The wing box (P-3 wings are all one piece...sort of like the models) was bent. So, they replaced them with wings from a boneyard bird. The fuselage of the EP is obviously where the big differences are, both externally and internally, so that was why the whole aircraft wasn't scrapped. They aren't building/converting anymore and they are used extensively.

Alot of people thought 511 was brought back to flying condition as a gesture of "We'll show them! Fly again she will!". BS. Bottomline is they needed the bird back.

Interesting.... I just assumed the aircraft was scrapped upon return. Any idea what kind of shape the interior was in upon delivery back to the US?

Also - is that small upper radome, just behind the cockpit, a new addition? Don't recall seeing that in earlier pictures.

Interesting.... I just assumed the aircraft was scrapped upon return. Any idea what kind of shape the interior was in upon delivery back to the US?

Also - is that small upper radome, just behind the cockpit, a new addition? Don't recall seeing that in earlier pictures.

The interior was pretty banged up. The crew smashed up as much as it could before opening up the crew door.

The small dome on top is new, you'll see it on the P-3C as well.

Had to add one to my recent build. This was a commission job for a former crewman I flew with.

DSC_0008.jpg

DSC_0012.jpg

DSC_0017.jpg

DSC_0016-1.jpg

Edited by 82Whitey51

First class work on that EP-3 model. I really like the subdued weathering, that is pretty hard to pull off on the classic white / gull grey scheme.

I'd love to see a model of one of my favorite spook Orions, A VPU-1 bird flying out of NAS Brunswick back in the day.

Edited by 11bee
  • 6 years later...
22 hours ago, habu2 said:

Is that an LSRS canoe on the ventral of your build ?

No, LSRS is a whole different animal. I feel OK posting these pics now because the item is no longer sight classified (all pics from the interwebs so...) . I conjured up the drawing as a plan of building one for myself.

161126p-3clsrspode.jpg

6db39ae2-0701-4338-b5a4-843583a01550.jpg

b0183406-2333347.jpg

IMG-4758.jpg

LSRS_Pod_Scale_-_Ht._Corr.jpg