IRIAF Tomcat loadouts

Hmmm ... So one could assume that the picture in the Wiki-link in post No. 8 on the first page, which shows the Tomcat in the background with one Hawk and an AIM-54 on the port pylon but without belly rails, basically shows a "fake - looky looky what I got here - but actually it's not working"-config, right?

Hmmm ... So one could assume that the picture in the Wiki-link in post No. 8 on the first page, which shows the Tomcat in the background with one Hawk and an AIM-54 on the port pylon but without belly rails, basically shows a "fake - looky looky what I got here - but actually it's not working"-config, right?

The Iranians certainly aren't above disinformation attempts like this - msee the recent brouhahaha over their monkeysized stealth fighter...

Cheers,

Andre

Based on what I've read, the I-Hawk was tested, but never implemented operationally as the results weren't all that great. As for testing, it would surprise me at all to have a Phoenix on the second pylon in order to weight balance the aircraft (or perhaps for testing to see if the Hawk's designator was operating about the same as the Phoenix's). Part of the reason why the Iranians tried this is the Hawk SAM apparently operated on a similar radar wavelength to that of the Phoenix and somebody wanted to see if it could take targeting information from an AWG-9 radar since the Iranians had plenty of Hawk missiles still around thanks to the Shah's military buildup.

Hi - nice to see an Ali-Cat underway!

A couple of things for you:

1:Good Luck with the Hi-Decal sheets. My experience with that product in 1/72 has been less than stellar. Just FYI but be careful..

2:The Fujimi kit instructions may assist you somewhat: http://www.1999.co.jp/eng/10055833 (Full instructions are here)

3: Loadout: AIM-54A, AIM-9P, cleared for AIM-7F, but used AIM-7E-2 and AIM-7E-4.

Even better if you do the "Asis Minor" scheme. One note on an error in the Fujimi instructions - the first F-14 kill was by an IAF machine in 9/1980 using 20mm cannon to destroy an Iraqi Mig-25. Three days later was the next kill of a Iraqi Mig-21 with AIM-9P.

Good Luck.

Adam

The Iranians certainly aren't above disinformation attempts like this - msee the recent brouhahaha over their monkeysized stealth fighter...

Cheers,

Andre

You certainly got that right...they were using FSHAMA's models of his Iranian F-14's as propoganda at one time or another. I saw it advertised several places (on-line and in an issue of Combat Aircraft i think), and even saw it in a briefing as well..I laughed hysterically.

Hi - nice to see an Ali-Cat underway!

A couple of things for you:

1:Good Luck with the Hi-Decal sheets. My experience with that product in 1/72 has been less than stellar. Just FYI but be careful..

Hoof! Really? That's worrisome. I had good luck with their IRIAF F-5E sheet (I'm on a bit of an IRIAF kick right now) and was thinking of getting their F-18 sheet with the hi-viz RAAF markings on it, but now I'm less sure. Which sheets have you had problems with?

I am doing the "Asia Minor" scheme, for sure, as it allows me to re-use the F-5E paints (and, in the future, the same paints will also adorn a lucky F-4E).

Hoof! Really? That's worrisome. I had good luck with their IRIAF F-5E sheet (I'm on a bit of an IRIAF kick right now) and was thinking of getting their F-18 sheet with the hi-viz RAAF markings on it, but now I'm less sure. Which sheets have you had problems with?

I am doing the "Asia Minor" scheme, for sure, as it allows me to re-use the F-5E paints (and, in the future, the same paints will also adorn a lucky F-4E).

• 1 month later...

I've used about a dozen of Diego's sheet, and just about the only problem I've had with any of them is that I didn't buy more. wink.gif

Cheers,

Andre

My experience with his sheets has been excellent. Never a problem yet. Figure I have used at least 10 sheets so far.

• 4 weeks later...

Since all the other perfectly airworthy Cat's have been chopped into pieces at AMARG, these are all that are left. Let's hope they keep on flying for many years to come, perhaps under more peacefull circumstances.

Not all of them, I know a few which are airworthy (if serviced)

1. 161134 - F-14A at Titusville FL

2. 161159 - F-14D at Pensacola FL

Not all of them, I know a few which are airworthy (if serviced)

1. 161134 - F-14A at Titusville FL

2. 161159 - F-14D at Pensacola FL

I'll wager you $20 that those two birds couldn't make much more than a towed trip across a parking lot without something falling off of them- serviced or not. They will never fly again.

None of the jets that went to museums or static displays are airworthy or will ever be again, no matter how hard anyone wishes for it.

Based on what I've read, the I-Hawk was tested, but never implemented operationally as the results weren't all that great. As for testing, it would surprise me at all to have a Phoenix on the second pylon in order to weight balance the aircraft (or perhaps for testing to see if the Hawk's designator was operating about the same as the Phoenix's). Part of the reason why the Iranians tried this is the Hawk SAM apparently operated on a similar radar wavelength to that of the Phoenix and somebody wanted to see if it could take targeting information from an AWG-9 radar since the Iranians had plenty of Hawk missiles still around thanks to the Shah's military buildup.

They actually used them a few times, but I believe they only once ever hit what they were aiming at. The physical missile was in and of itself more than up to the task, but the stores management system had to read it as an AIM-54... which it evidently sometimes could or could not do. Also, the missile had a hard time reading the AWG-9 signal. Under certain circumstances the missile would track, but more often than not the missile would go dumb at the slightest change in aircraft attitude in relation to the target. It also had a very limited employment envelope in terms of both range and altitude, and the target had to be within a separate set of defined limited parameters. The missile also had no boresight capability. The AIM-54 could be boresighted (even if it were a criminal and expensive waste of missile capability... VF-24 recorded the first boresight Phoenix kill against a QF-4 in the late 1970s). Iran still claims to have a number of MIM-23C "Sedjil"s in the active Tomcat weapon inventory, but those were probably from the initial production batch, as I don't think they ever found the need to build more. They've since claimed the ability to manufacture their own home-brew AIM-54As (the AIM-54A+ "Fakkur"), which would negate the need for more MIM-23Cs if it were true.

They received a number of AIM-7E-4s (which were tailor-built to work with the AWG-9), and had been a constant user of the AIM-7E-2 ever since they first became a F-4 Phantom user. As part of the modernization program, F-14AMs are compatible with the R-73E/AA-11 "Archer" short range IR missile.

You certainly got that right...they were using FSHAMA's models of his Iranian F-14's as propoganda at one time or another. I saw it advertised several places (on-line and in an issue of Combat Aircraft i think), and even saw it in a briefing as well..I laughed hysterically.

Its a serious credit to his builds and photography skills... he does amazing work :)

Like Skull pointed out, it's not hard to consider that the I-Hawks were probably conceived to counter the problem in lack of supply for the AIM-54s - now that they can produce their own 54s, who needs the problems of rewiring the MIM-23 to fly with the 14?

Now something that could also be done if one wanted to make an Alicat with some differences, is that the Russians offered the AL-31 to re-engine the Alicats, so the replacement of the burner cans with AL-31s could give it a little extra flair.

They've since claimed the ability to manufacture their own home-brew AIM-54As (the AIM-54A+ "Fakkur"), which would negate the need for more MIM-23Cs if it were true.

Then again, Iran also claims earthquakes are caused by any woman not dressed as a walking tent. ;)

Cheers,

Andre

IRIAF have been very good at reverse engineering. Following IranGate, it's no wonder. After all, how could they otherwise continue with the same engine in the Tomcat?

Any nation pressed as Iran is, would see to it that they are well self-sufficient.

• 3 years later...

Thanks Niels.You are absolutely correct & professional.

I share some picture from IRIAF F-14A .

22-2-.jpg

IRIAF F-14A Loads Howk missile .

photo-2016-05-28-13-51-32.jpg

IRIAF F-14A plus with reverse engineering .

376497-249369595196730-2054821858-n.jpg

eomskm7w00q1o759f57i.jpg

IRIAF F-14A bombcat

344832-421.jpg

IRIAF F-14A launch sporrow missile.

Hi, very nice pictures!

I share some picture from IRIAF F-14A .

photo-2016-05-28-13-51-32.jpg

IRIAF F-14A plus with reverse engineering .

Do you have anymore pictures of this one? Especially the camouflage from the top & side? It will be a future model project. I might use the Fujimi F-14A

http://www.toremmodellismo.it/images/MIEI%20KIT/AEREI/FUJIMI/133_3385.JPG

Thank you :cheers:

Looks like Iranian tomcats didn't have chaff/ flare dispensers in the tail.

They possess the same chaff/flare dispenser buckets that all standard Block 95 Tomcats had coming off the line... what caused you to think that?