F-16A Kansas Air National Guard

Small update. I had to do some paint touch ups and when I did, the colors didn't exactly match. So, I finally got around to touching up my touch ups :wacko: I also painted the landing gear, wheel wells, and intake. For the intake, I tried the "pour white paint in the intake" technique. This seemed to work out well...until I realized the white paint was leaking out the nose gear attachment point. I was able to wipe away most of the white before it dried; a few spots needed a little touch up. With all that said and done, I think I am now ready to start decaling...

cb2c2a56-895c-4c94-aa36-ef74ece97581_zps0519422d.jpg

John

Decals!!!

I was able to get a few of the decals on this evening. They look good so long as you're not up close. The decals are clearly Alps printed and are somewhat pixelated...and unfortunately, Revell doesn't give you the stencils you need because all they include is one decal choice <_<

2013-05-09_220850_zpsf2f6eaa3.jpg

I should be able to get the rest of the decals on over the weekend.

John

• 2 weeks later...

Slight weathering and a clear matte coat applied.

DSCN6207_zps9962e9a5.jpg

I also added the vertical strut in the intake...a little too big for 1/144th but not having anything was bugging me.

DSCN6209_zpsa03ab55e.jpg

I may need to sand and polish the canopy as it looks like there are little "pits" or dust specks on it :bandhead2:

Cheers,

John

• 2 weeks later...

Unfortunately, it looks like the specs are on the inside.

Here's a quick update...almost finished. I just need to cut off the kit's pitot tube and add a new one, add the AIM-9s, and scratch build the nose landing gear support member.

DSCN6212_zps3f3d1431.jpg

DSCN6215_zps646024f5.jpg

I also can't forget to paint the beacon on top of the vertical stab. The camera really highlights the weathering...it doesn't look that bad in person.

John

Well, I'm calling this one finished. Not my best effort, but I learend some things about the kit that will help when I build another one.

DSCN6223_zps7f0888eb.jpg

More pictures in the "Group Build Finish Line."

John

Nice job John. I think those 1/144 scale kits would be the life of me since I have trouble seeing stuff on the 1/72 scale ones. I either have to get glasses or have to get a larger house so I can switch to larger scale kits.

Thanks guys. It's not one of Revell's better kits in terms of finesse and fit, but it is years ahead of the Dragon kit and it does offer a few options (various parts for various F-16 blocks). There were some good lessons learned with this kit, which will help me with the next one I build. Most of these lessons learned dealt with the fit, but others include things such as the omission of the vertical structure in the air intake and the omission of the nose landing gear "support brace," both of which I scratch built. It's also worth noting that even though the Zactomodels ACES II seat is super nice, under the Revell canopy, I don't think there would be much visual difference between it and the kit's seat, so I will use the kit seat next time.

John