Eduard 1/32 BF-109 E over balkan peninsula

So first post on a scale modelling forum as well as my first build that I am 'publishing'..... so be gentle.

I am relatively new to the modelling scene having (re)taken up the hobby a couple of years ago after having done it as a kid. I am now officially hooked and have really enjoyed learning in the last few builds having just found the extra details available from photo-etch parts and resin. In fact this is the first build where i am using photo-etch extensively and my first time ever with some resin.

As a relatively inexperienced builder i welcome any comments and advice to take my skills to the next level, i am after all a bit of a perfectionist :P

Here's what I'm using:

Eduard 1/32 BF-109E over the Balkan peninsula- An excellent kit with the added bonus of having some of eduards brassin stuff thrown in.

Eduard 1/32 Bf-109E photoetch detail set

Aber's Brass E4 armnament set

Aires quickboost resin exhausts

Cockpit photos:

rightsidecockpit.jpg

leftsidecockpit.jpg

cockpitexploded.jpg

As you can see I went a bit crazy with the wash and it got a bit screwed however the effect when it is closed looks ok. Besides I am focussing more on the engine as i will be leaving cowling open. Was going to buy the Brassin DB601 but decided to stick with the OOB and just add to it. It's nearly complete so will post soon.

I am sure i will have some questions along the way and as i said any comments/feedback will be appreciated.

Taa

looking good so far man! it's like you never left!! i have the e3 kit so im curious to see how you work on this mofo.

nice touch with the internal piping, too! my only suggestion would be to dry brush the panel a little bit with something dark then a light touch of something lighter...just to get it to blend in a bit more with the rest. it's really bright and purple!! keep it up!

What I see in your cockpit is exactly why I hate Eduard's prepainted PE parts - obviously Emils had RLM02 painted cockpits yet Eduard guys decided to print RLM66 like colour on their metal parts... go figure...

but nice work in the pit nevertheless.

I quite like the prepainted parts. yes it is true that they are a bit off colour but the details are quite crisp.

Will definitely be dry brushing them just to make them blend in a bit, thanks for the suggestion.

Hope to have the engine block/gun mount finished by today so should post some more photos.

Nice work Molecular and welcome aboard. I would n't know a BF-109E if it ran over my foot so I can't comment on colours or accuracy but you have created a "well lived-in" look to your cockpit which I like.

I look forward to seeing how the engine turns out.

Most important of all,.......have fun doing it and build what makes you happy.

Cheers.

:cheers:

What I see in your cockpit is exactly why I hate Eduard's prepainted PE parts - obviously Emils had RLM02 painted cockpits yet Eduard guys decided to print RLM66 like colour on their metal parts... go figure...

but nice work in the pit nevertheless.

RLM66 was used for the instrunment panel for most (if not all) Emil series. The Eduard panel is not incorrect.

Furhtermore the Emil series saw a transition to completely RLM66 later in their production run.

Edited by toadwbg

Thanks for the encouragement guys.

Well i have finally finished(ish) the engine. There are a few areas to touch up and i made a few mistakes along the way but hey.... you learn most from your mistakes eh ;)/>.

The section has just had a coat of Klear so i will give certain areas a matt finish but intend to keep the block itself more glossy. Also, i really like the Aber barrels;

843111_10151504131706495_2002857984_o.jpg

856780_10151504132031495_20567345_o.jpg

as you can see the eduard styrene is not too shabby but the Aber mg's just add another touch.

Anyway, here is the DB601 and mg mount.

812626_10151504126341495_618142261_o.jpg

841212_10151504125846495_1550820746_o.jpg

859979_10151504124986495_1562651660_o.jpg

860338_10151504125386495_1070154453_o.jpg

I spent quite a while researching the cabling but it was difficult to find photo's of the engine in place with all the wires visible. some of the wire positions are guesses from some DB605 images i found but overall i am quite pleased with the effect. Some of the blemishes/mistakes do grind on me but as i said, it's a learning process.

once again thanks for the advice and encouragement and hope to post some more pics in the near future. :woo:

• 1 month later...

Ok, well it has been a while since my last post. I have still been working the the Emil, however i have realised that considering i started this topic not really to show off but rather to get comments and advice i have been going about it the wrong way. I should be adding more WIP photos that really show the mistakes and successes i have had.

As it stands i have sealed the engine and pit in the frame and have finished the majority of the painting of the main fuselage. I had some fit issues along the way partly my fault but also partly with the design of the pit once it has all the photoetch in it (got quite frustrated at times) and i found it very fiddly. I am MOSTLY happy with the progress so far, not 100% but considering that this is only the second mid-range model that i am building i am treating this as more of a learning build than a show and tell.

I have to say that the model is fantastic!! Having built a 1/32 revell 109 when i was getting into SM the details on this kit are outstanding in comparison (i was very proud of that build when i had done it, jeez i feel i have come far :rolleyes:/>/> ). Added with Eduards Photoetch for the kit and the Brassin wheels this is truly an excellent kit.

Anyway enough with the talk.

906661_10151588654971495_1053559634_o.jpg

As i mentioned there were some fit issues with the main fuselage caused by some of the bulk heads interfering with the instrument panels. got it to fit after a little surgery but unfortunately it did mess up a little (sorry no photos).

901981_10151588652066495_1581079188_o.jpg

Bought some cheap primer which took a couple of days to properly dry, it did the job in the end but the Tamiya stuff is far superior.

901745_10151588652391495_1966691729_o.jpg

902374_10151588653261495_170627627_o.jpg

I am painting the model in the scheme of "Black 10" III./JG 77 the camo pattern is quite complex and i had a go at doing it freehand with my Iwata CR but i had issues with splatter. I ended up just cutting out some stencils but the lines have quite a hard edge in places. I considered redoing it but i did not want to add another layer of paint and risk losing some detail (already had a few coats of RLM 65 to cover up my freehand attempts). If anyone has any good advice of how to do nice mottling effects i would love to hear it. I think my problem was that i had not thinned the paint down enough.

Anyway, i have just started work on the undercarriage and i promise i will post more shots so that i can get some proper advice.

Till then, Thanks.

Thanks, it's very far from the real thing but as i said it was a bit over my patience grade at the moment though part of me still wants to go back and fix it.

The colours are as you said RLM 65/70/71 and a mixture of enamels (70/71) and acrylics. Trying to run down my stock of enamels to move mostly over to acrylics (grown to really like working with the tamiya stuff).

Nice work so far! With regards to the camouflage, the splinter scheme on the wings and fuselage is supposed to be hard edged. Mottling on the fuselage sides should be soft edged. The mottling can be achieved with thinner than normal paint being sprayed at low psi very close to the model. Soft edged mottling on my 1/48 Tamiya Fw-190D-9. Sprayed with Model Master Acryl.100_4472.jpgAaron

100_4469.jpg

Edited by jester292
  • 1 month later...

Hello again,

Well it has been a long time since i posted anything and it seems that this WiP thread has not been very comprehensive. I have now basically finished the build (99% just some touches and cowling to finish) and i am quite pleased with the result, although there was a bit of an accident at one point when one of the cats knocked the model and the wing root and seam got cracked.

I have some photos that are just taken on my phone and will attempt to take some proper photos with my SLR at some point when im finished.

As always all comments are welcome.

IMG_20130511_123859.jpg

I was not happy with the camo pattern that i had done previously as it was too hard edged (on the fuselage) so i repainted it freehand this time and although it is not perfect i was much happier with the results

IMG_20130511_164236.jpg

IMG_20130511_164116.jpg

I have always struggled to get the weathering right but this time i'm pleased. i'm not saying its good, but it is the best i have done so far. in this light the footmarks by the cockpit look quite pronounced but they appear more subtle in natural light. panel lines were washed with raw omber oil paint thinned with white spirit and the paint chipping was done with a combination of revell aluminium and tamiya metallic brown. Streaks from the cannon are some artists chalk pastels.

IMG_20130511_164431.jpg

IMG_20130511_164021.jpg

IMG_20130511_164200.jpg

IMG_20130511_124326.jpg

IMG_20130511_124127.jpg

IMG_20130511_165806.jpg

One thing i wish someone would do is to make a good tutorial on handling photo-etch. i don't mean trimming and bending i mean getting those tiny pieces in position safely it what i suck most at. especially worrying when considering my next project.

IMG_20130409_141016.jpg

:jaw-dropping:/>/> :jaw-dropping:/>/>

Thanks for having a look.

Adam

Adam,

after you having such a tough time(whatever) with that painting of the camo...it turned out awesome!! Absolutley great job on the topsides. Glad you went through the extra time to make it look right, but man, you did it! Great blending.

-Jim

Thanks Jim, it feels good to make progress. I built this Emil for a couple of reasons, mainly as i love the plane but also as i built the revell kit a couple of years ago. That was only my second proper build (this is my sixth) and looking back at how proud i was of that one i can say that i have made a lot of progress as a modeller. I just hope to one day be able to emulate some of the outstanding work found here and on other sites.... there is always room for improvement ;)

Adam