aircraft display stand (in flight)

has anyone made there own aircraft display stand? I made a primitive stand to start, but had a hard time getting the plane secured to the dowel. it now looks like its trailing gobs of glue. has anyone else made there own? would it be worth it to buy an airfix stand and mold and cast it? I dont really want to buy a bunch of stands because that could get expensive quickly, the cheapest one i could find was $10 and to be honest, my work is not quite at that level yet.

Thanks, Dave

Many things can be used. My favorite is camera stands that used to be a the dollar store. Wish they still sold these.

I have also used a banana holder, different hang on the wall coat hooks, a stand that used to hold one of my daughters Barbie dolls. Lots of things around the house if you look. Just a matter of securing the model to the stand.

Many things can be used. My favorite is camera stands that used to be a the dollar store. Wish they still sold these.

I have also used a banana holder, different hang on the wall coat hooks, a stand that used to hold one of my daughters Barbie dolls. Lots of things around the house if you look. Just a matter of securing the model to the stand.

That must be my problem then, just figuring out how to secure them

My all time favorite in-flight stand was by someone on here quite a while back. He mounted I believe it was an f-104. He printed a blurred run-way (did it in photoshop I believe) on a wooden plaque for the base and I think used a small acrylic rod to mount the plane like it was doing a low high-speed pass. It was very very effective and gave great motion to an otherwise static model. I want to attempt to do one like it one of these days.

Bill

Some of the OKC IPMS guys have been building heavy duty magnets into the planes and the stands and just keep them up there by magnatizm

do you know how they fastened the magnets in their planes? i think that would be pretty cool, especially if you mounted the one on an angle, then you could even turn the model to give you the ability to change the pitch and rotation. I'm just guessing that they used glue, but what kind, and would earth magnets be to powerful?

David

You really didn't specify the type of A/C you plan to mount, each type will have a different approach on how to mount,the easiest being a single engine Jet, Prop's are a bit different as there are no real natural orifices to mount in to.

I mounted this A-7 through the exhaust, I used acrylic rod, and a styrene tube that fit sung around the rod, I can remove and bank the model in what ever position I chose. If you have a Plastic supply shop around (the one I found was about 60 miles away) you can buy a 6 foot length of 1/2 dia. for roughly $6.

Curt

100_62462.jpg

100_62532.jpg

100_62552.jpg

do you know how they fastened the magnets in their planes? i think that would be pretty cool, especially if you mounted the one on an angle, then you could even turn the model to give you the ability to change the pitch and rotation. I'm just guessing that they used glue, but what kind, and would earth magnets be to powerful?

David

David the modeler is Greg Rose in Oklahoma his email is garose02ATearthlink.net That way you're getting it straight from the source

Tell him Solinski sent you

100_62462.jpg

How did you get the acrylic to bend? did you heat it and form it?

David the modeler is Greg Rose in Oklahoma his email is garose02ATearthlink.net That way you're getting it straight from the source

Tell him Solinski sent you

Awesome thank you so much!!!

Like Dave I use acrylic rod (1/4") on my 1/72 jets and like him if it is single engine then the rod goes into the exhaust; if a twin then the rod goes into a recpticale made from a piece of acrylic attached to the bottom of the aircraft as you can see on this F-15I. The base is resin and I use one of three different masters depending on how large the model is. The rod is bent using an industral hot air gun but you can probably use a good hair dryer and I have a "jig" that I use so they all come out about the same.

Regards

Jim Barr

f15i03r60rs7.jpg

• 5 months later...

I made the universal stand you can see here out of balsa and thin foam. This type of stand is good because you can keep your plane in tact and you can rotate new planes onto the stand or onto your ceiling. You don't have to drill any holes or bend any acrylic to make my stand.

2013-06-24162119_zps4e21fdad.jpg

http://s362974870.onlinehome.us/forums/air/index.php?showtopic=265874&st=0&p=2521994&fromsearch=1entry2521994

Edited by Exhausted

Here is a couple I built recently:

This one is just a basic base with an aerial photo of a city glued to it with a hole drilled for a plastic rod:

IMG_2704_zps4d716964.jpg

And this one was made from a photo frame, gravel from the driveway, a bit of filler, some woodland scenics realistic water and a brass rod. the rod was just wedged between the frame and the gravel and glued in place:

IMG_2846_zpsf4bd8c1f.jpg

IMG_2847_zps3062be3b.jpg

Something a little more interesting than a plain base with not much more effort

G'Day Dave.

There are 2 approaches I use:

1) I impale the model onto a vertical stick of brass or clear acrylic rod. The rod in stuck vertically, into a piece of wood. Naturally, you have to drill a hole into the belly of the model - preferably under it's center of gravity/balance point. The rod touched the top of the fuselage inside the model. A tube with an inside diameter equal to the diameter of the rod can be glued or embedded in a large blob of Milliput, inside the fuselage. is is particularly useful for models that are large, or with one wing lower than the other.

2) I impale the jet model onto a horizontal piece of clear acrylic rod inserted into it's tailpipe/s. To get the horizontal part, I either mount the rod into the wall of a 3-sided box (back, floor and a side wall), or bend the rod. This is pretty easy. I use the household oven at 180-degrees and a tin can of suitable diameter. Heat the rod in the oven till it bends under its own weight, then lay it on the horizontal can and draw the ends downwards till they form a 'C'. Have the ends parallel (for a model in level flight), or less (for a model climbing). Drill a deep horizontal in a wooden base and insert the lower end of the C. Mount the model on the other end (wings level?). I look for rod that is the same diameter as the inside of the jet's tail-pipe.

I do not like great mechanical mounting things hanging under the model. Nor do I like models mounted on rare-earth magnets because do not like mounting models onto steel or iron. If I was to use rare-earth magnets, I would hold them against the inside of the fuselage with A) 2-part epoxy glue, AND an overlying blob of Milliput. Rare-earths from forcefield.com.

Good luck with whatever method you select - and have fun. George, out...............

• 3 weeks later...

I've tried the "impale" approach as well as the "tailpipe" approach, and they're fairly straightforward- I just can't stand to drill a big hole in an aircraft I worked hard on...so I have tried the rare earth magnets and have found that they do work if you over-engineer the holding capacity and imbed them in a substantial glob of 2-part epoxy inside the a/c- then getting the other magnet attached to the "pole" becomes the hard part if you're using acrylic rod or wood. It's a little more work but I like the end result.

Jeff

• 10 years later...

I bought a length of clear rigid plastic tubing, and another piece that slipped inside.

This is best done before assembly, but can be retro-fitted. Measure and dry-fit everything before glueing.

Make/drill a hole at the balance point to take the narrower tube, pre-measured and cut to emerge from the fuselage to the 'ground'  (say half to one inch) but not so long to prevent the model from standing on its wheels. Glob some superglue on it and shove into the plane, at a slight angle if you wish.

I used a small wooden cheese serving board as the base, already smooth and rounded. These can be bought cheap in sets from discount stores or online. Or make your own.

Drill a hole to take the wider tube (at an angle if you wish, and tilting from one end of the board), cut tube to the desired length, secure in the hole, and place your plane on top. Hey Presto !  Do not glue the tubes together, so you can dismantle for transport.

If one/both tubes are hollow, you can run electric wires down inside if you want to motorise or light your model. Or create a diorama on the base.

If I had the knowledge, I would upload a pic of my 1/48 Ventura nicely mounted as per above, 12 inches off the ground.

3 hours ago, habu2 said:

Hmmm.......

Yeah///but it IS good info. Lets hope its a real new member and not another spam bot.

But yeah, has me wondering too.

Edited by phantom