Am i the only one?

SO my modeling friends wont stop teasing me, just as my father would always tell me when I was young.

Finish the one your working on before your start an other model!

I have a small stash as stashed go, maybe 30 to 40 kits, and half of them are in various stages of build progress.

some I know I will never finish, and some I pick up from time to time, sand something or cement something or clean up a part and put it back in its place.

I like to think I build for the pleasure of building and having a finished model is only a bonus.

am I the only one that works this way? do I need to stop and just finish whatever I have started?

the mere idea terrifies me!

Nope, you're not the only one. I have more than I probably know about in some stage of work. It's pretty common I believe. I do finish them sometimes...but the building is just as much fun as finishing so I don't worry about if they get done. Otherwise I would just buy pre-built kits or die cast toys.

Bill

Yeah that's the norm for me. There are projects I pick up and work from start to finish but often I set things aside and then pick another one up. Often my more complex builds get set aside to avoid frustration. They sit for awhile and then I come back and feel better about the project and I start it back up again. This seems to prevent burnout on projects for me.

I mean heck if all I wanted was to look at the markings, I have plenty of books with profiles in them....

Zach

No your not the only one. I get teased by my modeling buddires as well as my wife, because I have serveral kits built up and only need to be painted, decaled and weathered. I enjoy building the most, so when it comes time to start the painting portion, I tend to slack off and start another kit. But what I have a habit of doing is collecting all the models that are going to use most of the same color, for intance olive drab for American armor, I start painting several at 1 time.

Robert

Your friend is such a jerk. Tell him to mind his own business and if you damn well please to not finish your builds then it is none of his business. He sounds like a bully and an *** if you ask me! Tell him to go to hell! JERK. How dare he tell you what to do with your builds. When he is living your life in your shoes then he can talk. There is enough challenges and diversity in our lives that we do not need to be mocked for doing the hobby we love. Personally I have about 6 planes unbuilt and you know what I will probably never finish them either out of respect for you! Some friend he is! With friends like him who needs enemies! *******!

I feel like the weird one now. I've only got two in progress and one (yes one :taunt: ) waiting to be built. I won't buy another one till I finish the current two and start the third one. It's my self imposed rule and it's a heck of a thing to go into the hobby store, drool, and leave sans new kit.

I struggle with this one - I like to have completed models but sometimes I just get mired in the finishing that I long for new construction! Right now I am finishing up 2 but on the shelf are 4 in various states of completeness.

I do pretty much the same, but I was still buying! So I now have ceased buying

and have a couple dozen anywhere from just started to almost done. When I tire

of an airliner I move on to a WWII prop then a 50's jet then maybe a piece of

armor or a car. I have told myself they will get done but doing more than one and

more than one subject keeps it interesting. It seems to be working, the boxes are

slowly going in to the trash, once my project is finished the box goes, the stash

LOOKS smaller and all is well with the world. Now if I can hold out and keep my

promise not to buy anymore before these are done! :whistle: ---John

Edited by john53

No, you're not. Add me to the list of those that have a bit of trouble actually finishing a build. I enjoy the construction phase the most, painting, decaling, & finishing- not so much. Out of 55 to 60 kits I have 8 or 9 either half built or ready for paint. I am at my self-imposed unfinished limit though. I'll still buy more kits, but won't start any more untill I finish a few.

I did manage to finish 4 planes last year, which is a personal best for me.

BW

Must be one of the few. Unless I start a commission build I seldom have more then one on the go.

Normally one, but on rare occasion two IF the paint scheme is similar or the same colours, just to save money in airbrush waste.

I made a bit of a resolution to finish more when I once had seven on the go, and I now manage to keep it down to three or four. Trouble is, I use acrylics, and when you spray these they tend to need two or three days curing before you can safely handle them to mask up for the next colour.

So I have another one on the go, then I get to gluing a bit that needs time, to set, so need something else to keep occupied. I also try and keep things at various stages, so if I get fed up with painting I can do some building or sanding for a change. And like one the guys above, I tend to spray more than one model when I've got an airbrush with some colour in.

Ultimately, you will find what you are comfortable with, and don't let anyone else tell you that's the "wrong" way to do it.

Edited by MikeC

I'm also one who starts a kit puts it down and then starts another. It seems we may have scaled polystyrene form of ADS :lol: .

I seem to lose interest / focus and start something new which gets me all enthused about the hobby. I should definitely start focusing and get something finished before ripping the inner sealed bags of another kit.

I guess we all have that in common out of my 100+ stash I seem to always have atleast 10 incompletes at all times,if i feel like decaling than i have one or two at that stage, feel like doing some fiddle bits have one of those, bottom line its my hobby and i do what i enjoy at that moment even if the wife calls me looney. I do however end up completing them even if it takes a year or so....so happy modeling all.

Scott

Must be one of the few. Unless I start a commission build I seldom have more then one on the go.

Normally one, but on rare occasion two IF the paint scheme is similar or the same colours, just to save money in airbrush waste.

Considering your models seem to build themselves as they come out of the box, I'm not surprised you are a one at a time kind of builder. :cheers:

I have modeller ADD in the worst way. I just counted the models that I have in various stages of completion...46 models. These are out side the box. I can't even remember when last finished a model.

Edited by skidbuggy