P-51D Airfix New Tooling 1/72

Hi everyone!

I'm asking opinions about this new tooling. Looking at the sprues pictures over the net looks quite impressive! It even has separate flaps.. better than the fantastic Tamiya kit.

But did anyone actually build it?

How is the shape/overall accuracy? How about the clear parts? The fitting?

I tried to search but I found nothing at all. Thank you guys! :thumbsup:/>

Edited by oldcrow

Old Crow, for the record i HATE the p-51D, but i'm obligated to build one because the Navy did test one aboard USS SHANGRI-LA for carrier compatibility trials.

That being said, a couple of people have finished it over on the 72nd scale Aircraft website, and Drewe Manton did a fairly extensive online build, and got it to the painting stage before the next "Bright Shiny Object" came out and distracted him from completing it.

Drewes build can be found at: www.drewemanton.com.

Check em out, and draw your own conclusions. Myself, i like it. The separate flaps are a huge improvement over previous mustang kits and IMHO Airfix did a pretty good job at getting the basic shapes right. Maybe a little too much sweepback in the windscreen, but it doesn't bug me too much.

-d-

I have it. I consider it good value for money and a nice kit. Get it. I don't think you'll be disappointed. The panel lines are a little on the heavier side compared to Hase & Tamiya, but to me that's not a problem. The basic boxing is basic (Just one marking option), while the F-51D has two decals options and additional parts.

It is an excellent kit. The shapes are very accurate, has an adequate interior and it's one of the only Mustang kits available in any scale that has the wheel wells right. The dropped flaps are also accurate. The panel lines might be a tad heavy, but much better than some of the earlier Airfix 1/72 releases. One thing to watch out for is the balance weights on the elvators are not scribed in...shouldn't have happened but it's a simple fix that takes a couple of minutes. Also some of the kits have a tiny short-shot around the tail wheel which again can be easily fixed but shouldn't have been a problem.

Overall it's excellent value for money and will easily stand beside the Tamiya and Hasegawa, which although somewhat finer have some inaccuracies that are a pain to fix (shallow Hasegawa wheel wells and Tamiya wheel well shape).

Buy it, you won't be disappointed.

Richard

It is a best Mustang in competention quality/price. (Here cost a 5USD). I think it is a second or third best "Pony" on the market, first editon have a few problems with mould (error on rear gear bay)but i hope a new eerie is without problem... (?) I bought a five pieces :) It is a bit under quality of Tamiya but overall it is a nice kit for few bucks...

Just finished building one. It's a superb kit and builds up well. Toss a Quickboost 1/72 P-51D seat into it and the cockpit is adequate (although I'm not a huge fan of decals for instrument panels). I have a couple of gripes, the plastic is soft. It glues well, but the main landing gear is fairly bendy and subject to warping. The canopies were very clear, but when you glue the rear canopy to the lower frame, the rear canopy doesn't fit open very well. The thickness of the lower frame part also is noticeable. I replaced the rear canopy with a Squadron vac part. Also, before you paint, take some time to work on the fit of the front canopy.

For it's price point you can't beat it. The only 1/72 P-51D that I'd rank over it is the Tamiya kit.

I'm building it these days (airframe completed, today I'm closing the canopy and probably tomorrow I will start painting).

I like the kit, although Tamiya is much better in details, panel lines and fit accuracy. On the other hand, Airfix is the only P-51 in 1/72 with correct shape of wheel bays. I have the "Red Tails" version, but I cut the dorsal fillet (there is enough plastic inside, so I didn't cut a hole doing it) and I will paint it DG/MSG as the "Passion Wagon". Dark camouflage should make the heavy panels less visible. BTW, I removed most of wing panel lines and the ones on the fabric covered elevators.

I had no significant problems with the build. Just the wing-fuselage fit was a bit too tight. However, I'm going to change the way the propeller is mounted in the fuselage, because the Airfix' method means that the propeller should be mounted between the fuselage halves (I hate this) or it will not rotate. Tamiya's idea is better here.

I have one Tamiya P-51D completed and two in stash. The "Passion Wagon" is the only Airfix P-51D I'm going to build, but I will recommend the kit to my kids when they grow up a little more and will like to build a Mustang.

I bought today a new F-51D box. I think - a mould is litle improved, first production of P-51D have a little errors with tail gear bay. F-51 have on first look this part OK. It is here a new frame with HVAR, bombs and new propeller. Price of F-51 is highest as price P-51D - difference is 1Dolar (One Dollar). When you can choose between P-51D and F-51 buy F-51D. Decals are for one Pony from korean war with great shark mouth and one dominican airplane with striking camouflage from early eighties ! (1984 !!!!)

I`d like to find out how excactly one goes about spotting an "improper" wheel bay. Is it really that obvious? I am referring to the "horrible" Tamiya kit...well maybe the Hasegawa kit as well. Maybe i need to scavenge a couple of Airfix kits so i can upgrade my Tamiya Mustangs?! Sincerely the scale model authority :bobby:/>

I`d like to find out how excactly one goes about spotting an "improper" wheel bay. Is it really that obvious?

i don't know if "clearly visible" is "obvious enough" for you. It is about the rear wall of wheel bay in the outer part of it. The wall is the front side of the wing spar and should be straight as is in Airfix kit. The spar should "disappear" deep inside the wing as it goes near the leg. Tamiya made it along the edge of the wing skin where it is clearly visible when you look inside the wheel bay.

I am referring to the "horrible" Tamiya kit...

Who says Tamiya is horrible?

Maybe i need to scavenge a couple of Airfix kits so i can upgrade my Tamiya Mustangs?!

I don't think so. Airfix is better in shape of MLG bay and that's all. Tamiya is still better in details of the bay.

Why upgraded Tamiya ? Build Tamiya OOB and "Fix" OOB too. This kit is cheapest as Tamiya but not too worse as Tamiya. Tamiya is of 200% expensive as N.T. Airfix but quality of Airfix P/F-51 is very good. Here you have two builds from experienced czech modelers: http://www.modelarovo.cz/wp-content/uploads/2012/08/P51DAngel_end4a.jpg http://www.modelarovo.cz/p51d-mustang-airfix-172/ I think - this Mustang is a gem - from few bucks a lot of music ! Yes, Tamiya is bit better - but this is problem - a bit - and very very expensive with competition with Airfix. And the cockpit area is my opinion better in Airfix. Academy, Italeri are a dead mens, Hasegawa is too pricy... I have only one problem - a few after market decals :)/>

BTW: Main part of gear bay is in actual aircraft on parking closed...

Edited by AlCZ

i don't know if "clearly visible" is "obvious enough" for you. It is about the rear wall of wheel bay in the outer part of it. The wall is the front side of the wing spar and should be straight as is in Airfix kit. The spar should "disappear" deep inside the wing as it goes near the leg. Tamiya made it along the edge of the wing skin where it is clearly visible when you look inside the wheel bay.

Who says Tamiya is horrible?

The "horrible" expression is merely a figure of speech. Not to be taken very seriously. Anyway i have a couple of Aires P-51 D wheel bay resin sets. Lets hope they will do. If not i will shoot myself.

I don't think so. Airfix is better in shape of MLG bay and that's all. Tamiya is still better in details of the bay.

Why upgraded Tamiya ? Build Tamiya OOB and "Fix" OOB too. This kit is cheapest as Tamiya but not too worse as Tamiya. Tamiya is of 200% expensive as N.T. Airfix but quality of Airfix P/F-51 is very good. Here you have two builds from experienced czech modelers: http://www.modelarovo.cz/wp-content/uploads/2012/08/P51DAngel_end4a.jpg http://www.modelarovo.cz/p51d-mustang-airfix-172/ I think - this Mustang is a gem - from few bucks a lot of music ! Yes, Tamiya is bit better - but this is problem - a bit - and very very expensive with competition with Airfix. And the cockpit area is my opinion better in Airfix. Academy, Italeri are a dead mens, Hasegawa is too pricy... I have only one problem - a few after market decals :)/>/>

BTW: Main part of gear bay is in actual aircraft on parking closed...

Some nice builds, but looking at the huge "seam" where the clear bubbletop canopy is attached to the canopy frame and how the glue shows on the edges of the parts, convinces me that using a Squadron vac canopy on mine was a prudent choice.

Here are both the Airfix and Tamiya kit built as the Mustang Mk IV. I think the Airfix kit is a great value and holds its own against the Tamiya kit, the flaps and wheel wells are a bonus

http://z15.invisionfree.com/72nd_Aircraft/index.php?showtopic=2974

Edited by feddawg

I've just finished one and went straight out and bought two more.

In Australia, the three Airfix kits cost me less than the one tamiya kit I've built.

And the Airfix kit went together better, represents the wheel wells better, fits so well that I three times forgot that I hadn't actually glued parts in (flaps, tailplanes, undercarriage legs, and has repeatedly been mistaken for the Tamiya kit anyway. Plus the Airfix kit decals are superbly printed (pity the cheap boxing only gives one choice)

the only place I think that the Tamiya kit comes out in front in is cockpit detail, and that not by much, unless you count the "Tamiya Mystique" factor.

Shane

Ok...so what's the new kit #? is it 01004 or a14001 or 14001a or what?

The Series 1 kit is A01004 (The P-51D boxing, with just one decal option)

In the starter set A55107 (As a Mustang IV, so with RAF decals)

The Series 2 kit is A02047 (The F-51, with post war decals and extra parts - bombs, rockets, prop)

I've only built the kit A01004, but at A$8 it's extremely good value for money

Shane

(pity the cheap boxing only gives one choice)

That's why it's cheap, of course.

Personally I like Airfix's strategy - you can choose between the basic kit with one decal option if you're going to use alternative decals anyway, or you can get the "luxury" boxing with more decal options and some more parts.

Cheers,

Andre

The Series 1 kit is A01004 (The P-51D boxing, with just one decal option)

In the starter set A55107 (As a Mustang IV, so with RAF decals)

The Series 2 kit is A02047 (The F-51, with post war decals and extra parts - bombs, rockets, prop)

I've only built the kit A01004, but at A$8 it's extremely good value for money

Shane

Ah now I know exactly what to look for. I had an inkling those were the new kits based on the boxart...

Difference in price is one dolar or one euro. Airfix first relase a basic edition - and later extended edition. P-51D "Red Tail" was relased in summer 2012. F-51 "Post War" was released now. Bf- 109E-4 "Von Werra" was released in spring 2012, Bf-109E "Trop" in autumn 2012, first Spitfire Mk. I, second is Spitfire MK. I/IIa "Early". But another types was relased in extended edition - and haven't an basic - Spitfire Mk. IXc.... Or have an decals version of the same kit without upgrade (Sabre "the Huff" vs. Canadair "Shark Mouth". ) Im very pleased with choice of markings - first was an popular marking -and second was an exotic... Yugoslavian and italian F-86 , bulgarian Bf 109E, dominican F-51D, or (con)version - the early Spitfire with flat top canopy and two blade propeller with "modern" roundels...

But another types was relased in extended edition - and haven't an basic - Spitfire Mk. IXc.... Or have an decals version of the same kit without upgrade (Sabre "the Huff" vs. Canadair "Shark Mouth". )

There's even another variation - their new tool 1/72nd Bf 110 was first released as a C-2/4 with two decal options, and somewhat later as an E-2/E-2 Trop with two decal options and an added sprue.

Cheers,

Andre

If you go for A55107 112 Squadron boxing it has a few "issues" not really any big ones. The colour pattern is wrong, it should be in the so called "firewall" scheme. The spinner should probably be a sky type colour

not black or red. Colours may have been olive drab & grey (something around Humbrol 27) This a/c had the louvres on the underside of the cowling and an Aero Products prop (it isn't in this box) Possibly the upperwing roundels are the wrong type as well (should prob be 3 colour ones as on the u/s). There's also no stencilling & no serial no on the decal sheet. That said it will build up nice from the box supposing all this is ignored.

The instructions call for the undercarrige, wells & inside doors to be painted the same colour as the u/s, would this be right?

-----------------------------