Hi everyone I need some help. I am not new to modeling ships or models in general but I am alittle stumped here. I have a request to build the USS Randolph and I would like to do it in 1/350 scale but I am having some troubles finding a Essex class Carrier model kit from the 1960's can you help me out. How do I go about building this carrier.

thanks Andrew

Hi everyone I need some help. I am not new to modeling ships or models in general but I am alittle stumped here. I have a request to build the USS Randolph and I would like to do it in 1/350 scale but I am having some troubles finding a Essex class Carrier model kit from the 1960's can you help me out. How do I go about building this carrier.

thanks Andrew

Andrew, are you talking about a angledeck Essex in plastic 1/350?

• 3 months later...

Hi!

Topic got my attention--my Father was aboard on '57-'58 cruise flying AJs.

Not the right scale but I modified Revell's kit (using a Lex boxing) that turned out well. Many faults in the basic have been described in various sources but I felt the result was quite acceptable for the scale.

As for 1/350, unless someone replies who has done this already it seems the only way to know for sure is to get the kit of the WWII configuration, evaluate its basic accuracy for the period, then evaluate what would be required for mods.

I have not seen that kit in-the-box or completed so can't comment on that.

But the changes for any kit would be considerable. I liken it to finding an airplane kit missing parts and as long as the curvy fuselage is there, the rest can be scratchbuilt.

The bow obviously needs a lot of work and the island needs replacement entirely. The forward elevator is bigger and a different shape. The aft elavator was removed and a new one added to starboard. The port elevator is modified. Catapults are different. Along the flight deck edge the netting, passages, and equipment are different. The five inch guns are different and the smaller caliber guns are replaced by open 3" mounts in different positions.

So the comparison with the airplane this is this: you don't have to build a hull.

I think it would be a great project, if the time allows.

Are you thinking of making some resin replacements and selling copies?

Rich

Looking at the posted photos again reminds me:

the hull openings are completely different even on the starboard side and other hull changes were made.

So there's more than just using the Trumpeter hull.

Also, in using references, note that the modified Essex ships varied. Number of guns, gun locations, antennas, and other variations indicate that only Randoo ***** refs should be used.

Also also, there were changes when she went to CVS but those would probably be minor for a model.

Most important for refs: get pictures for the specific time to be represented.

With your modeling experience, this may seem like pretty basic advice but the key point is that it is appropriate and important for a mod like this.

Rich