1/48 F-14 Jolly Rogers

So, my next project is probably going to be an F-14A, and my buddy wants me to do the Jolly Rogers' scheme. A bit cliche, I know, but I've secretly wanted to do it for a while, too. Heh. In any case, I can't find any decals, and I *cannot* believe that no one is producing any. Who/what/where am I missing?

TIA

Jeff Ital

The standard Hasegawa F-14A Atlanic Fleet Squadrons boxing of the kit comes with VF-84 decals. They also released another boxing dedicated to the Jolly Rogers which features markings from just after ODS.

Afterburner Decals did do a VF-84 sheet but that is out of production and out of stock almost everywhere.

Mark

A while ago I tried to get decals for an early VF-84 (hi viz) F-14A (the decals in my Hasegawa kit had yellowed too much) but found none, too.

I finally wrote to the Italeri distributor here in Germany for a sheet belonging to their F-14 and got one inkl. instructions for an adequate amount of Euros.

May be this is an option for you.

Ingo

We, FIGHTERTOWN DECALS, have done several VF-84 F-14 sheets but they are all sold out. Working on a new sheet for the no too distant release. But, ITMT, I just saw a few copies of our 48049 ODS VF-84 (1998-1992) at the Hobby Expo in Petaluma. Ed of Warbird Decals has them for sale.

Email him at warbirddecals@aol.com

FTD48049_profiles.jpg

Btw, he also has VFA-103, F/A-18F 48047 sheets.

thanks,

brian

Jeff, unfortunately you're right. No decal company is producing VF-84 decals no more. I can't help you too much so at least I will share with you the list of all the VF-84 sets that were ever created by the various decal manufacturers in 1:48 scale.

I'm an F-14 decal collector and I own every one of them. Not trying to show off or anything but I started my collection just 2 years ago and I managed to find 99% of all F-14 decal sets ever developed. My point is that if you dedicate some time to look for them you will find them, at least some. They are becoming harder and harder to find but it was not that different 2 years ago.

My advice is look for them on eBay and forums like this. I got around 60% of my collection from ARC members like you and me. Here you will find outstanding modelers that will help you find one or more set. I'm pretty sure about it so good luck on your hunt !!!!

The only downside about this is that you have to be prepared to spend some bucks on either one of these decals. Sets like Afterburner 48-069 and Aeromaster 48-588 can go as high as $60 when they show up on eBay. Maybe I was very lucky but the highest I paid for one decal set was $35 (and it was the very coveted and extremely hard to find Aeromaster SP48-14 - USS Nimitz CVN-68 Carrier Air Wing Eight 1977/78)

On the other hand, Mark's comment is spot on. Hasegawa kits 07019 (older version) and 07246 (newer one) include markings for this squadron. They are not the most accurate and tend to yellow like Ingo says but they are a very good option and easier to get. Finding theses kits on eBay its pretty easy, in fact 07246 is available right now but again.....you must be willing to shoot over $70 for it.

The sets produced were:

- Aeromaster 48-522 - Anytime Babe!! Part V (VF-84, VF-111)

- Aeromaster 48-588 - Colorful Tomcats (VF-41, VF-84) - (The only set with accurate markings for 1977-78 CAG & CO gray over white paint scheme)

- Aeromaster 48-793 - Tomcats Supreme Part 2 (VF-84, VF-111, VF-154)

- Aeromaster SP48-14 - USS Nimitz CVN-68 Carrier Air Wing Eight 1977/78 (VF-41, VF-84)

- Afterburner 48-069 - VF-84 Victory Cats (Fully recommended)

- CAM Decals 48-062 - VF-51, VF-84

- CrossDelta 48002 - The Last Days of VF-84 Jolly Rogers (excellent decal set but dry transfer)

- Fightertown 48006 - VF-84 Bones of Desert Storm Homecoming

- Fightertown 48013 - VF-41, VF-84 Desert Storm Nose Art

- Fightertown 48049 - VF-84 Victory In The Storm (Fully recommended)

- Microscale 48-057 - VF-84, VF-213

- Microscale 48-327 - VF-1, VF-84, VX-4

- SB Decals 48-003 - VF-41, VF-84, VF-213 Feisty Felines Part 1

- Superscale 48-438 - VF-41, VF-84

- Superscale 48-512 - VF-84, VF-102

- Superscale 48-850 - VF-84

- Superscale 48-1039 - VF-84, VF-101

- VF Decals 48/72-84_103 - VF-84, VF-103

Good luck on the hunt buddy !!!!

Danny

We, FIGHTERTOWN DECALS, have done several VF-84 F-14 sheets but they are all sold out. Working on a new sheet for the no too distant release. But, ITMT, I just saw a few copies of our 48049 ODS VF-84 (1998-1992) at the Hobby Expo in Petaluma. Ed of Warbird Decals has them for sale.

thanks,

brian

As I posted just a few minutes ago....this set is OUSTANDING !!!!!!!

You did an awesome job on these decals Brian. Its a shame there are sold out. Have you considered a reprint? I think you have potential out there considering all of the VF-84 lovers like jeff.

Hope your new release is as good as this one.

keep on the good work my friend !!

• 2 weeks later...

So, my next project is probably going to be an F-14A, and my buddy wants me to do the Jolly Rogers' scheme. A bit cliche, I know, but I've secretly wanted to do it for a while, too. Heh. In any case, I can't find any decals, and I *cannot* believe that no one is producing any. Who/what/where am I missing?

TIA

Jeff Ital

CAM Decals has 1/32 VF-84 HI/VIZ F-14 decal;s available as CAM PRO Decals P32-008. They are supposed to be releasing that decal in 1/48 and 1/72 later this year.

If you want to do the early markings ('77-'78)...

I'd recommend Superscale 48-850. They're more accurate than the Aeromaster version, although you might want to source some new nose MODEX numbers from somewhere, since they're not quite right (too italicised).

Re. the Aeromaster sheet (48-588 / SP48-14D)... the skull and bones is the most accurate of all, but the yellow arrows in the nose stripe are much too pointy. Also, the text "VF-84" on the ventral fins is solid where it should be outlined. The yellow is a bit too orange. MODEX is good.

Re. the CAM sheet (48-062)... the arrows in the nose stripe are too small, the nose MODEX is too big and too italicised, the text "USS NIMITZ" has some weird spacing (and the "M" is the wrong style). Both my sheets are a little out of register, with white showing up under the yellow.

Good luck!

Edited by Richard J

If you want to do the early markings ('77-'78)...

I'd recommend Superscale 48-850. They're more accurate than the Aeromaster version, although you might want to source some new nose MODEX numbers from somewhere, since they're not quite right (too italicised).

Re. the Aeromaster sheet (48-588 / SP48-14D)... the skull and bones is the most accurate of all, but the yellow arrows in the nose stripe are much too pointy. Also, the text "VF-84" on the ventral fins is solid where it should be outlined. The yellow is a bit too orange. MODEX is good.

Re. the CAM sheet (48-062)... the arrows in the nose stripe are too small, the nose MODEX is too big and too italicised, the text "USS NIMITZ" has some weird spacing (and the "M" is the wrong style). Both my sheets are a little out of register, with white showing up under the yellow.

Good luck!

Have you contacted CAM Decals about the errors on their sheet? All of the OLD CAM Decals were produced prior to the new owner buying the company. I know that he is actively working on updating the old decals in preparation for re-printing most of them. I know that any help would be greatly appreciated. You can contact him at: camdecals@gmail.com

Edited by riggerray

FTD48049_profiles.jpg

thanks,

brian

I like to occasionally (read: often) show myself as an ignorant dumb idiot. So...what's involved in just printing off more copies of decals you have already done the artwork for? And I mean a whole new run, not just a one-off for any random poster at any random forum.

I mean this in all honesty and respect. I love Fightertown Decals and I've dealt with Brian personally at SoCal shows. Much respect. (I was eager to show him pics of the aggressor/adversary Viper which I made from a kit purchased from him that came with his decal set.)

Mike Todd

Edited by dedalus

I like to occasionally (read: often) show myself as an ignorant dumb idiot. So...what's involved in just printing off more copies of decals you have already done the artwork for? And I mean a whole new run, not just a one-off for any random poster at any random forum.

I mean this in all honesty and respect. I love Fightertown Decals and I've dealt with Brian personally at SoCal shows. Much respect. (I was eager to show him pics of the aggressor/adversary Viper which I made from a kit purchased from him that came with his decal set.)

Mike Todd

I've never been involved in a decal business but it has been stated more than once that decal printing companies (microscale, cartograph etc) have minimums for each run somewhere in the 500 to 1000 range. So a decal manufacturer has to weigh the potential sales of a reprint vs cost of reprinting. It is also (mostly) about capital, most decal producers like FTD are small companies. They need to make choices about where they invest their limited resources. If they spend $ on a reprint it prevents them from releasing other new sets. That's why most decal manufacturers only do reprints of sheets with a very high probability of success.

ok my turn. so i am also a jolly rogers fan weather its VF-84 or VF-103 some tomcat decals i would love to see are the tomcats used in the movie the final countdown from the 8o's and the tomcats used in the film Executive Decision and the VF-103 tomcats used in bosnia cuz i love the black and white markings there so cool

There's also this scheme from 1996 which is sort of low vis in the front, high vis in the back (kind of a mullet scheme, if you will!)

f14b103ao.jpg

Lucky for you this markings has been offered in several decal sets in 1:48 scale:

- Aeromaster 48-511 Anytime Babe!! Part IV (AA-101)

- Aeromaster 48-792 Tomcats Supreme Part 1 (AA-101)

- CAM Decals 48-058 (AA-212)

- Fightertown 48016 (AA-103)

- Hasegawa 1/48 09335 kit (AA-103 & AA-201 1996 Santa Cat)

- Hobby Boss 1/48 80367 (AA-103 2000 Santa Cat) - Available on eBay

- Jasmin Model 148005 (AA-103 2000 Santa Cat) - Available on eBay

- Superscale 48-1022 (AA-103) - Available on eBay

- Tiger Wings 48-110A (AA-103 & AA-201 1996 Santa Cat)

- VF Decals 48/72-84_103 (AA-103 including 2000 Santa Cat)

Most are very hard to find but NOT impossible.

Edited by #1 Tomcat Fan

Think you have it bad. Try finding VF-84 high Vis decals in the Grey over white scheme in 32 scale. Most of the kit decals now have yellowed over time. I am also building one for a friend. I'm a VF-1 type of guy myself as I once spent a week with them in 1985 at Miramar.

Edited by Yuri61
  • 2 weeks later...

Lucky for you this markings has been offered in several decal sets in 1:48 scale:

- Aeromaster 48-511 Anytime Babe!! Part IV (AA-101)

- Aeromaster 48-792 Tomcats Supreme Part 1 (AA-101)

- CAM Decals 48-058 (AA-212)

- Fightertown 48016 (AA-103)

- Hasegawa 1/48 09335 kit (AA-103 & AA-201 1996 Santa Cat)

- Hobby Boss 1/48 80367 (AA-103 2000 Santa Cat) - Available on eBay

- Jasmin Model 148005 (AA-103 2000 Santa Cat) - Available on eBay

- Superscale 48-1022 (AA-103) - Available on eBay

- Tiger Wings 48-110A (AA-103 & AA-201 1996 Santa Cat)

- VF Decals 48/72-84_103 (AA-103 including 2000 Santa Cat)

Most are very hard to find but NOT impossible.

Check it again, this one is different, the stripe is not black with white arrows, but more like the low vis one, but in black. Also, look at the tank markings-unique.

Edited by kozlok
  • 3 weeks later...

If you want to wait until May/June timeframe, Fightertown Decals have 2 new Jolly Rogers sheets getting close to print. Something of a 70th Anniversary celebration covering some 'history' of 103/84...

-brian

Brian,

As a VF-84 fan that is great news to hear. I can't wait to see what you have in the works.

WRT 48049 "Victory in the Storm" I would be up to buying a sheet or two if you reprint it.

Cheers,

Denis