1:72 Airfix Consolidated PBY-5A catalina

Thanks guys,

Well I couldn't resist, I had to do some more painting. I added one more coat of blue but still got some greys to go on tomorrow, then I'll have to make a start on the engines before the washes and pigments go on.

IMG_2326_zpsab1935e2.jpg

IMG_2328_zps403fc833.jpg

IMG_2329_zps033558c7.jpg

IMG_2331_zpse16b010b.jpg

Added the dark blue for the leading edge of the wings:

IMG_2333_zps650f1cce.jpg

IMG_2334_zps110c833b.jpg

Added two more shades of grey to help with the faded look:

IMG_2335_zpsfc9e0dfe.jpg

IMG_2336_zps86ba1d7c.jpg

I used the hairspray technique for the leading edge and wore the blue down:

IMG_2337_zps0dc2f5e6.jpg

IMG_2342_zps2df8b61d.jpg

IMG_2343_zpsde46fad2.jpg

It's really starting to come together nicely now:

IMG_2346_zps37a8ef43.jpg

I've been at work the last 4 days so haven't got much done but decided to make a start on the base. I was going to start a thread on how to make undulating terrain for the sand but came across this stuff totally by chance while I was buying the cork board for the base:

IMG_2347_zpsa8d1b40b.jpg

It's working really well so far, I'm just waiting for it to dry over night:

IMG_2348_zps63a4c89d.jpg

IMG_2349_zps00bcb5e1.jpg

It doesn't look like it in the photos but it's not all flat. I was just going to cover it in white glue and sprinkle sand all over it but then came across this:

IMG_2351_zps5da70bdd.jpg

It says on the tube it drys to a coarse sandy texture so I'll see how it goes and it might only need painting. I've ordered some Woodland Scenics Realistic Water for the pools in the corners so that'll be here in the next couple of days.

I'm on my days off now so I'll get stuck in to the engines and get them finished.

man this build is great, I might to follow suit with a derelict P-61 I've had in m ind for years and years. I cant wait to see how you trick out the engines.

Go for it! It's great fun, after the first few steps you can throw the instructions away and go for gold. This is the second one I've done now, (the first being a crashed Blackhawk) and I must say it's the best way to learn and try out new techniques. And once it's all done you end up with something different that no one else has rather than just a another plain old grey jet.

Cheers

Dean

Well the coarse gel wasn't bad but I wasn't happy with the way it looked over the base layer. Imagine a very badly plastered wall complete with all the trowel marks that need a weeks sanding to get smooth and that's what I had. It would be good to build up shapes on a base but not as a final layer. In the end I just covered the whole thing with white glue, which is self levelling, hiding all the lumps and bumps in the base, then covered the whole thing in a few differing grades of sand.

Came out pretty good:

IMG_2353_zpsef886847.jpg

IMG_2352_zps839dd9fe.jpg

Once the water goes in, hopefully tomorrow, it'll look a lot better.

I finally made a start on the engines.

The resin engines are made for the Academy kit and my cowls have the engines already molded into them. To show some of the engine through the missing panels and to add extra detail I glued the resin engine to the back of the molded in one. Once the framework, exhausts and pipes go on it'll fill the gaps up nicely.

IMG_2355_zpsa8976864.jpg

IMG_2357_zps712558cc.jpg

IMG_2358_zps2eb1811e.jpg

IMG_2359_zps72e7beee.jpg

And a pic of it sitting on the base to tease myself with until it's finished:

IMG_2360_zps5d552026.jpg

I did some more work on the engines today but haven't got too much to show for it yet:

IMG_2389_zpsd767e7e4.jpg

Just painted, dry bushed and washed with dark dirt wash for now. Most of the weathering on the cowls will be done with paint and washes so they don't look much different for now.

I Got the main gear as good as done, The kit parts were to model the kit with the gear either down or up, but i needed them half way. The easiest way I found was to cut the main part of the strut off and glue it back on upside down to make them look semi retracted:

IMG_2367_zpsd4c9b18e.jpg

The one on the right is the original part.

Both done, one extended more than the other:

IMG_2368_zps2bd14e41.jpg

Now for some rust, I followed one of the tutorials on here and I'm fairly happy with how it turned out for my first attempt:

Base of brown paint

IMG_2372_zpsc7850399.jpg

A couple of shades of mig pigments:

IMG_2373_zps88074f66.jpg

Top coat of silver:

IMG_2374_zpsa1845231.jpg

Finished part:

IMG_2380_zps716919f4.jpg

IMG_2388_zps2b02c9a8.jpg

Then I started on the wheels, the True Details resin wheel set looked pretty good but the Port main gear is missing it's tyre so I had to grind it off:

IMG_2370_zpse4956a30.jpg

My next issue is going to be getting the detail in the other tyre where it is joined to the casting block. The Starboard tyre is in the air so It wont have a flat bottom and will need the tread engraved in it.

Thanks for looking

Really superb but oh so eerie. :( I've read about this poor old girl before, you're capturing it beautifully but the whole story is one of so much waste. I'll be looking forweard to the end result.

Steve.

Thanks guys,

Those new photos are great, you can never have enough reference pics.

I'm between my night shifts today but managed to get some more engine detail done. She's almost complete, I've added some pipes to the engines and have still got some wires to add, then clean it all up before adding the last of the cowling ( which is either missing or hanging off ).

I also did some detail painting on the fuselage and wings, painted some metallic grey on the frame work that shows through the damage and accentuated the bullet holes with some chipping. It all stands out now but the pigments and washes will tone it down.

IMG_2390_zps3f1389b0.jpg

IMG_2391_zpsfcbfa95d.jpg

IMG_2392_zps72f1db2f.jpg

IMG_2393_zpsa462c53e.jpg

IMG_2394_zpsedd0a428.jpg

IMG_2395_zpsbdd7e85e.jpg

IMG_2399_zps57dfe0de.jpg

The engines are only dry fitted at the moment so aren't sitting quite right yet.

Thanks for looking

Thanks guys,

Well she's as good as finished. To be honest I'm quite surprised at the amount of interest there's been in it. Over 2000 views for a little Airfix Catalina. I'm pretty happy with how it's turned out. I've just glued it to the base so I've still got some final weathering to go once it's dry so hopefully I'll be able to get some photos up in the display case later on tonight.

Thanks for following along and for all the positive comments

Dean

G'Day Dean

A great build illustrating the sad end of a great aircraft. If you havn't seen it, the full story of N5593V, complete with before, after , and interior pictures is covered in Warbirds International megazine for May / June 2012. Once again ,this is my favourite area in aviation, ex. millitary aircraft put to other uses after WWII as these can often be the basis of today's "Warbird". In this case perhaps not!.

Trev. (vh-bob)