F-111D Aardvark Diorama

Hey everyone this is my F-111D. Its the Hobbyboss 1/48 kit along with the Hasegawa ground crew kit and even some parts from the Academy F-86 kit. This was completed almost two years prior to my F-14A that is posted on here. I learned a TON while building this kit and I had a lot of fun doing it as well. Thanks for the views and comments!

20130210_184317.jpg

20130210_184159.jpg

20130210_184140.jpg

20130210_184037.jpg

20130210_184014.jpg

Nice!

Just a stupid question and by no means a critique, but didn't they fly the "E" model at Upper Heyford ? Always tought that the D models stayed in the US at Cannon AFB ?

Edited by 31Tiger

Im not sure. The kit said this marking scheme was for the "D" though. Ill have to look it up.

Don't worry, there is not that much external difference between those two different models anyway and certainly not in 1/48

• 3 months later...

First, wonderful build. You did an excellent job! I thought, as an ex-F-111 crewchief, you might want to make a few corrections, none of the mistakes are your fault. HobbyBoss went out of their way to create mistakes on this kit that need correcting. This should be no problem for you as you're obviuosly an accomplished builder.

First, change the placard you have to an F-111E. It's not a "D". It is marked as an F-111E from the 20th TFW at Upper Heyford, England, though some E's were assigned to Cannon before the D's arrived...

Next, the radomes on 111's had four latches, two on top and two on the bottom. The radome would slide forward slightly and was hinged to swing to the right. Easy fix.

Next, and I have no idea what they were thinking at HB, but the large weapons bay door, hinged to the fuselage, should be split on the engraved panel line, the inside piece of which, glued to the "hinged" part at the appropriate angle (The extra inner door in the kit just doesn't have a reason to exist.) and attached to the fuselage so no light can be seen between the door and the fuselage. The smaller, inner door should be level with the ground when open. This was a very streamlined design. The four, small triangle shaped doors at the front of the bay should be hinged upward, into the bay, unseen from the outside. Can't tell from the pics if you've done this. Go to the walkaround section here in ARC and you'll se what I mean.

Again, not a critisism! I just thought you may want to make these pretty simple fixes. You did such a beatiful job on the kit, I think these few corrections would make it that much better.

Hope this helps, and fixed or not, really nice work!

DET 1

Edited by DET 1