I've been back building models...slowly, but at least I'm back at it. So, I love modern Russian fighters and that brings me to Academy's SU-27UB, specifically the two seater. In quite a few of the picturs I've seen, there looks to be some sort of 'Roll Bar' over the rear seat coming from the back and it looks to connect to the Console in front of the rear seater. Does anyone, first off, know what I'm talking about and second (even better) have any good close-up pictures of the bar?

Steven

Hello Steven, in Britmodeller there is a topic about: http://www.britmodeller.com/forums/index.php?/topic/75354-su-27-question/

I think i Have read it is for a curtain, since the UB is a training plane, the student goes in front seat, and the curtain is used for IFR missions (whatever that means)

Hope it is useful

Alfredo

Hello Steven, in Britmodeller there is a topic about: http://www.britmodeller.com/forums/index.php?/topic/75354-su-27-question/

I think i Have read it is for a curtain, since the UB is a training plane, the student goes in front seat, and the curtain is used for IFR missions (whatever that means)

Hope it is useful

Alfredo

IFR= Instrument Flight Rules

VFR= Visual Flight Rules.

Curtain is used to block the student's view outside to make students use and trust their instruments when there is no visibility--dark night over water, bad weather, etc. VFR conditions means clear weather, good flying weather, IFR conditions means only pilots rated for IFR should go flying.

Its a blind flying hood - a curtain that goes over the front-seat students cockpit to make him fly on instruments alone .....

I took this from the back seat of the Ukrainian Su-27UB that was at RAF Fairford a coulpe of years ago....

flanker hood.jpg

There are other photos out there....

Ken

• 2 weeks later...

Its a blind flying hood - a curtain that goes over the front-seat students cockpit to make him fly on instruments alone .....

I took this from the back seat of the Ukrainian Su-27UB that was at RAF Fairford a coulpe of years ago....

flanker hood.jpg

There are other photos out there....

Ken

And I just thought it was some cool top-secret roll-bar...