Apologies to Tide fans, but this is too funny!

I was reading an article about the 4 Alabama players that beat up and robbed two people. Usually the comments section is filled with stupid comments. However, one caught my eye, and I'll use it from now on.

PaROLE Tide!

On a serious note, it boggles my mind that these four have only been charged with robbery and falsely using a credit card. They beat two people unconscious, and those are the only charges brought? What about assault/battery? A case could even be made for attempted murder, since it was premeditated. I guess football trumps justice. What a sad statement about our society.

The PaROLE Tide joke isn't really all that different from the jokes made about the FSU players a couple decades ago getting into all sorts of trouble and all they were getting was a little slap on the wrist. So people were calling them the Florida State CRIMINOLES. ;)

On a serious note, it boggles my mind that these four have only been charged with robbery and falsely using a credit card. They beat two people unconscious, and those are the only charges brought? What about assault/battery? A case could even be made for attempted murder, since it was premeditated. I guess football trumps justice. What a sad statement about our society.

While if differs a bit from state to state, the defination of Robbery involves the use of force to take something from someone. Robbery in the second degree, which is what these miscreants were charged with, runs the gamut from: I shove you and take your wallet to: I beat you bloody and take your wallet.

Use of a weapon, or the implication of it's use, constitutes Robbery First Degree.

Now it could be argued at some point that these guys are weapons in and of themselves. That will fly if say it can be proved a person is proficient in mixed martial arts, martial arts and or boxing. Just being a bad azz football player is, under the law, a stretch.

Where I'm from it would be be Robbery Second, and Fraudulent Use of a Credit Device.

Key phrase here is that the assault, regardless of severity, is a "lesser included offense" of the charge of robbery.

So endeth the law lesson from the retired homicide sergeant.

G

The PaROLE Tide joke isn't really all that different from the jokes made about the FSU players a couple decades ago getting into all sorts of trouble and all they were getting was a little slap on the wrist. So people were calling them the Florida State CRIMINOLES. ;)/>

Don't forget the old classic: Free Shoes University...

While if differs a bit from state to state, the defination of Robbery involves the use of force to take something from someone. Robbery in the second degree, which is what these miscreants were charged with, runs the gamut from: I shove you and take your wallet to: I beat you bloody and take your wallet.

Use of a weapon, or the implication of it's use, constitutes Robbery First Degree.

Now it could be argued at some point that these guys are weapons in and of themselves. That will fly if say it can be proved a person is proficient in mixed martial arts, martial arts and or boxing. Just being a bad azz football player is, under the law, a stretch.

Where I'm from it would be be Robbery Second, and Fraudulent Use of a Credit Device.

Key phrase here is that the assault, regardless of severity, is a "lesser included offense" of the charge of robbery.

So endeth the law lesson from the retired homicide sergeant.

G

Thanks for the input. That was very informative. The question is, will they do jail time?

Let's not forget, one of them(Eddie Williams) was out on parole from the previous night with an arrest of possessing a concealed weapon without a permit. As a proud alumnus, I can assure you that EVERYONE I have talked to is embarrassed and ashamed. The minimum sentence for their crime is 2 years with a max of 10. I wouldn't be surprised to see some additional charges added including assault. No excuse for this, and I am 100% sure at least 3 of them will serve some jail time.