Cyber Warfighters/Warriors

http://bigstory.ap.org/article/pentagon-creates-new-medal-cyber-drone-wars

WASHINGTON (AP) — They fight the war from computer consoles and video screens.

But the troops that launch the drone strikes and direct the cyberattacks that can kill or disable an enemy may never set foot in the combat zone. Now their battlefield contributions may be recognized.

Defense Secretary Leon Panetta announced Wednesday that for the first time the Pentagon is creating a medal that can be awarded to troops who have a direct impact on combat operations, but do it from afar.

"I've seen firsthand how modern tools, like remotely piloted platforms and cyber systems, have changed the way wars are fought," Panetta said. "And they've given our men and women the ability to engage the enemy and change the course of battle, even from afar."

The work they do "does contribute to the success of combat operations, particularly when they remove the enemy from the field of battle, even if those actions are physically removed from the fight," he said.

The new blue, red and white-ribboned Distinguished Warfare Medal will be awarded to individuals for "extraordinary achievement" related to a military operation that occurred after Sept. 11, 2001. But unlike other combat medals, it does not require the recipient risk his or her life to get it.

Officials said the new medal will be the first combat-related award to be created since the Bronze Star in 1944.

A recognition of the evolving 21st Century warfare, the medal will be considered a bit higher in ranking than the Bronze Star, but is lower than the Silver Star, defense officials said.

The Bronze Star is the fourth highest combat decoration and rewards meritorious service in battle, while the Silver Star is the third highest combat award given for bravery. Several other awards, including the Defense Distinguished Service Medal, are also ranked higher, but are not awarded for combat.

Over the last decade of war, remotely-piloted Predators and Reapers have become a critical weapon to both gather intelligence and conduct airstrikes against terrorist or insurgents around the world. They have been used extensively on the battlefields in Iraq and Afghanistan, as well as in strikes in Pakistan, Yemen and northern Africa.

Over the same time, cyberattacks have become a growing national security threat, with Panetta and others warning that the next Pearl Harbor could well be a computer-based assault.

The Pentagon does not publicly discuss its offensive cyber operations or acts of cyberwarfare. Considering that secrecy, it's not clear how public such awards might be in the future. The federal government, for example, launched a broad leak investigation after reports surfaced that the U.S. and Israel may have been responsible for the Stuxnet computer virus that attacked computers in Iran's main nuclear enrichment facilities.

According to the Pentagon criteria, the medal gives the military a way to recognize a single act that directly affects a combat operation, doesn't involve an act of valor, and warrants an award higher than the Bronze Star.

"The extraordinary achievement must have resulted in an accomplishment so exceptional and outstanding as to clearly set the individual apart from comrades or from other persons in similar situations," according to the Pentagon's list of criteria for the medal. It could include the "hands-on" but remote launching of a weapon and could specifically include efforts in space or cyberspace.

The medal is a brass pendant, nearly two inches tall, with a laurel wreath that circles a globe. There is an eagle in the center. The ribbon has blue, red and white stripes.

Heck the Air Farce gives bronze stars for folks who don't even deploy. Three types of folks with medals/ribbons....those who deploy and don't do crap, those who deploy and based on rank are awarded such and such, and then you have the folks who got in the **** and did some pretty badass stuff. At least in the Army....we all know who falls into which category.

While I don't discredit the job that they do, I think we are nuts as a whole to make up yet another award...good grief, enough, we have enough awards to cover any situation...sure, maybe a distinguishing device, but a whole new medal...not necessary...

Heck the Air Farce gives bronze stars for folks who don't even deploy. Three types of folks with medals/ribbons....those who deploy and don't do crap, those who deploy and based on rank are awarded such and such, and then you have the folks who got in the **** and did some pretty badass stuff. At least in the Army....we all know who falls into which category.

really.... you know this how?? I didn't see you when I was deployed..

really.... you know this how?? I didn't see you when I was deployed..

I'll vouch for Brian, He was out where the bullets were flying. Luckily this is looking like a thread where we can all whip our DD214s and compare. Here is a what Brian was talking about:

527115_479369522090603_1198171986_n.jpg

Accurately allocated operation funds...

Luckily this new award is considered above the Bronze Star. (so you can be more hard corps than the USAF Comptroller above) Its become quite the joke:

haAJS.jpg

Edited by TaiidanTomcat

Good God... The comptroller being awarded a bronze star for paper pushing? Even if she is the bestest paper pusher in military history I can't see where that is worthy of a bronze star. Give her a STEP promotion, for Chrissake!!!

Good God... The comptroller being awarded a bronze star for paper pushing? Even if she is the bestest paper pusher in military history I can't see where that is worthy of a bronze star. Give her a STEP promotion, for Chrissake!!!

Or at the very least a new Comptroller medal!

And you didn't see me, still wouldn't take long to figure you out as would me if you were in the Army. Been doing this for awhile.

I'm sorry! I may poke fun at my fellow service member's by calling them swabbie, jarhead and the like but I would never denigrate anothers service and that's what you did by calling the United States Air Force the Air Farce. I thank you for your service!! I am glad that we were on the same team that the jets I maintained were able to help the guys on the gound.

A bronze star for a comptroller?!

That makes me sick to my stomach, considering my grandfather got two bronze stars in WWII for combat related actions, you know actually putting his life on the line and all that testosterone driven nonsense. But hey, we all have to feel special and valuable as members of the armed services, right? We don't want to hurt anybody's self esteem and all that. Bronze star for storming a machine gun nest in WWII is the same as getting one for saving the government some cash, right?

It's part of the reason I had to wear that stupid beret for several years when I had perfectly serviceable soft caps in my possession. Everybody had to feel "elite" in the Army. Why should Rangers be so special? Everybody can wear a beret since the entire US Army is "elite", right? Rangers aren't any more elite than your average soldier, right?

These types of things are simply emblematic of our society as a whole. In the name of acceptance and leveling the playing field as they put it. Get a good look my friends your country as you know it is going down the drain and there isn't jack you can do about it, you're just along for the ride now.......

At first read, I was going to jump in with a snide comment about the AF dronnies but others have beaten me to the punch.

However, after thinking about this issue, I feel there is more to it. A guy that sits in a conex box in Nevada and goes home every night to wife and kids may actually be responsible for dozens of bad guy kills in the course of his assignment (maybe hundreds). A grunt may deploy to Afghanistan and depending on his assigned area, may never fire his weapon in anger his entire deployment, let alone get a kill.

The only difference between Lt Jimmy in his air-conditioned conex box and our 11 bravo is that the grunt lives in the sh*t and runs the risk of being killed or wounded every second he is deployed. But at the end of the day, who has inflicted more harm on the bad guys? Like it or not, this is the face of modern combat and is only going to be more common in the future. I think there needs to be some award to recognize the drone guys but something more akin to an administrative award (like the Army's ARCOM). Certainly not one that trumps an award given for valor in direct combat.

Just my $0.02

When I first saw this posted on FB by a buddy of mine, I seriously thought it was satire, something pulled off the "Duffle Blog" (which is hilarious btw...).

I agree their role is important. End of story.

They should be recognized for a job well done like any other but it cheapens the merit of the Bronze Star (...and btw, what the heck is with the Comptroller getting a Bronze Star?! Someone must've uttered that they were tired of her "BS" and the admin weenies thought they meant something else. Honestly, if that chick even wears that thing...). I think there are already plenty of awards already in place that would suffice, Commendation Medal comes to mind.

I think with all the social media stink about this, it will be lowered in the order of presedence before it's all said and done.

A thought on the "guys in the conex boxes" out there in NV, I saw an iterview with one of the operators, he was pretty matter of fact about the job. It is stressful no doubt. From a purely psychological point of view it's got to be strange to go home and have your wife or friends, neighbor etc. squawk about how their day went...in this day of modern communication I'm sure many of us here on this board have gotten back from a mission and called the ol' lady to hear her go on about something irrelivent while you're sitting there in the phone cubicle wishing she'd just tell you about how she cant wait to ***** your brains out when you get home...at any rate, the guy went on to say how he was thankful for the long drive alone across the desert from Creech AFB at the end of the day that allowed him to "come down" and deflate...they didn't stick them way out in the mifddle of nowhere by accident.

Edited by 82Whitey51

At first read, I was going to jump in with a snide comment about the AF dronnies but others have beaten me to the punch.

However, after thinking about this issue, I feel there is more to it. A guy that sits in a conex box in Nevada and goes home every night to wife and kids may actually be responsible for dozens of bad guy kills in the course of his assignment (maybe hundreds). A grunt may deploy to Afghanistan and depending on his assigned area, may never fire his weapon in anger his entire deployment, let alone get a kill.

The only difference between Lt Jimmy in his air-conditioned conex box and our 11 bravo is that the grunt lives in the sh*t and runs the risk of being killed or wounded every second he is deployed. But at the end of the day, who has inflicted more harm on the bad guys? Like it or not, this is the face of modern combat and is only going to be more common in the future. I think there needs to be some award to recognize the drone guys but something more akin to an administrative award (like the Army's ARCOM). Certainly not one that trumps an award given for valor in direct combat.

Just my $0.02

I don't disagree with needing to recognize these guys. I am all for recognizing the guy who sits in Colorado and wipes out bad guys with a drone firing Hellfires, my major issue is the way they are proposing to do it with this new award.

I simply don't agree with creating a BS medal and inserting it into the order of precedence ABOVE the Bronze Star and just below the Silver Star. Like you, I think it should be something like an ARCOM or something, definitely not above an award routinely handed out for valor and bravery on the battlefield.

Heck, I don't even disagree with recognizing the odd AF comptroller, but a Bronze Star for project management and budget paperwork?

The DOD has gone off the tracks with the award system. It is so watered down now as to not even be worth the paper the commendations are printed on.

Heck, I don't even disagree with recognizing the odd AF comptroller, but a Bronze Star for project management and budget paperwork?

The DOD has gone off the tracks with the award system. It is so watered down now as to not even be worth the paper the commendations are printed on.

I saw a patch worn by a Navy pilot assigned to desk duty. Instead of the typical "100 Traps" patches these pilots usually had stuck on their flight suits, this guy had "500 .PPT's" (powerpoint presentations) with the Windows logo underneath. I thought that was pretty funny.

Given the military's obsession with these (even required in combat zones), in a few years the number of .ppt's will probably be used as part of an officer's evaluation process. They'll probably be awarding something for outstanding powerpoint skills in the near future.

When I first saw this posted on FB by a buddy of mine, I seriously thought it was satire, something pulled off the "Duffle Blog" (which is hilarious btw...).

I triple checked for just that reason :woot.gif:/>

in a few years the number of .ppt's will probably be used as part of an officer's evaluation process.

officially they're not. unofficially....

Edited by TaiidanTomcat

I don't disagree with needing to recognize these guys. I am all for recognizing the guy who sits in Colorado and wipes out bad guys with a drone firing Hellfires, my major issue is the way they are proposing to do it with this new award.

I simply don't agree with creating a BS medal and inserting it into the order of precedence ABOVE the Bronze Star and just below the Silver Star. Like you, I think it should be something like an ARCOM or something, definitely not above an award routinely handed out for valor and bravery on the battlefield.

Wholeheartedly agree...especially your final statement. I remember listening to an award being read for a DK3 (Navy Disbursing Clerk 3rd Class, E-4 (gone now, rolled into all the other personnel support ratings) that stated "processed over 50,000 pay record updates with a 90% error-free rate"...doesn't that mean that 5000 pay records that this guy handled were screwed up by him? Is that really acceptable? Talk to those 5000 people whose pay records had to be fixed and I am sure that they were not happy. Granted it was only for an Achievement Medal, but I think I am even more bothered (and prove JasonW's final statement) by the fact that I just wrote "it was only for an Achievement Medal" and further denigrated an award.

Yes, the drone controllers and cyber guys deserve awards for their actions, but we already have them... AAMs, AFCOMs, MSMs for drone controllers, COMs, MSMs for cyber guys... there is stuff out there...don't need something new.

Cheers,

Dave

Wholeheartedly agree...especially your final statement. I remember listening to an award being read for a DK3 (Navy Disbursing Clerk 3rd Class, E-4 (gone now, rolled into all the other personnel support ratings) that stated "processed over 50,000 pay record updates with a 90% error-free rate"...doesn't that mean that 5000 pay records that this guy handled were screwed up by him? Is that really acceptable? Talk to those 5000 people whose pay records had to be fixed and I am sure that they were not happy. Granted it was only for an Achievement Medal, but I think I am even more bothered (and prove JasonW's final statement) by the fact that I just wrote "it was only for an Achievement Medal" and further denigrated an award.

Yes, the drone controllers and cyber guys deserve awards for their actions, but we already have them... AAMs, AFCOMs, MSMs for drone controllers, COMs, MSMs for cyber guys... there is stuff out there...don't need something new.

Cheers,

Dave

I just think the whole thing is bizarre, You are giving a medal for a job, rather than an action or even completion (congrats on your battle of basic training award)

Whats to stop me from inventing a Submariner medal for Parche? And does it mean more or less than the Avaition medal? or the Nuclear Reactor tech medal? (which is kind of vitally important too)

Its strange.

Edited by TaiidanTomcat

Interesting quote I read in an article that a friend forwarded to me this AM:

And in the latest effort to diminish the heroic achievements of those who risk their life and limb in combat on behalf of our nation and its citizens, the Pentagon is creating a new medal for cyber and drone wars. While I believe those who operate drone strikes in support of combat operations should be recognized, I cannot understand presenting an award ranked higher than a Bronze Star for someone who never sets foot in a combat zone, where no personal risk is involved. We’re just making up medals now. This is not kids’ t-ball where you get a ribbon for just showing up. This is warfare. Remember the proposed “Combat Restraint Medal” for troops in combat that did not engage the enemy? We are losing our collective minds and are blazing a trial to our nation’s surrender and eventual demise.
I just can't fathom feeling the need to create a special award for this, but more importantly where they want to have this medal fall in the US military award order of precedence. Edited by JasonW