metalizer trouble

Hi fella's

Does anyone know when I'm supposed to apply the sealer on MM metalizers? should i wait 24 Hrs or 10 minutes or so after i buff the buff-able stuff. also, apparently i screwed up & sprayed the metalizer first. now i need to paint the yellow stripe around the fuselage and the nose of my F-86. Anyone have a suggestion for masking this stuff without messing it all up?

Thanks, Kurt

Blast a light coat of future on it. It works to seal it well and adds a bit more to the shine

I don't think so. Seal or no seal, the Metalizer will cling very tenously to plastic. The old school gang would be using Post It Notes, damp newspaper, etc, i.e., masking media that is really,really, really lo-tack

I'll add one more "really."

Added: I'm not sure what you mean by a yellow stripe, but could you use yellow decal striping. In other words, get a sheet of solid yellow and cut out the size of stripe that you need. If the strip isn't too wide, it may work. Good Luck.

Edited by balls47

I've tried future and metalizer sealer over metalizer in both instances the finish was marred when using anything with an adhesive to mask it. Like balls47 suggested I'd go with the yellow decal striping or be prepare to refinish it completely.

Funny, I am going though almost exactly the same problem, with an F-86.

The way I got around the yellow nose masking was to paint the yellow before the metal finish, as it sticks well. You can then mask this off with no problems

However, I am trying to do various shades of metal finish, and after using Future over a (revell) silver lacquer, this doesn't seal properly because all that happens is that the masking tape pulls the future away from the metallic finish. I am really stuck with what I have as I can't get stuff like Alclad (not permitted to ship to here) so I need to find a way of either removing the 'loose' metallic coat before applying the future, or getting a sealing coat that bonds the whole lot together better.

One alternative I may try is to use 'frisket' film, which is a low tack masking medium used by airbrush artists, however this is only any good for flat or single curvature surfaces.

If anyone else has any suggestions, please let me know!

Les