metalizer trouble

Hi fella's

Does anyone know when I'm supposed to apply the sealer on MM metalizers? should i wait 24 Hrs or 10 minutes or so after i buff the buff-able stuff. also, apparently i screwed up & sprayed the metalizer first. now i need to paint the yellow stripe around the fuselage and the nose of my F-86. Anyone have a suggestion for masking this stuff without messing it all up?

Thanks, Kurt

I don't recomend the sealer, it changes the appearance of the Metalizer, but you will naturally apply it after you spray the Metalizer, there is no waiting period as Metalizer is dry almost immediately, and since you've already buffed it then I'd say it's done.

As for masking over it, you might leave a mark with the tape, I recommend Parafilm if you have it, you can stretch it over and around the area to be painted, trim away with a "Curved" blade Xacto knife.

Curt

i have used model master metalizers for several years now. first thing i do is spray 1-2 light coats of metalizer, then wait 30 minutes to dry. then assuming your using the buffing type, buff it out. then seal it to preserve its shine. although it seems dry almost instantly its not. lastly shoot 1 coat of sealer.the sealer may give it a tonal change but looks great. as far as the masking goes i agree with netz.. hope this helps ;)

Edited by f14 tomcat freak

I only have used the sealer once, the very first time I used Metalizer, It gave it a glossy finish and killed the natural metal look, but this was when the paint first came out, I don't know but they may have changed the formula.

I do clear cote, then decal, but my final clear cote will be simi gloss/flat, it will restore the metallic look.

Curt

IMHO, any clear coat, including the Metalizor sealer, changes the look of a NMF and results in a surface that looks less like metal. The Metalizor sealer does go on thin, and it makes a pretty good simulation of a clear lacquer overcoat as might be applied, for example, to a MiG-15.

Having just completed a NMF paint job on an F-86D using six or seven different shades of Alclad applied to various masked panels, I can't imagine trying to do the same thing with Metalizor -- it's just too fragile.

Pip

I too spray a coat of future over metalizer(and let dry overnight) before I mask on top of it.

StevenL :wave:/>

to each his own, I don't like the glossy shine Future adds over natural metal. For replicating painted aluminum lacquer I think it looks the part.

I like to spray the metalizer or Aclad and than not touch it, looks great that way. In some cases you need to decal over and thus a clear coat may be required. I personally find Metalizer sealer to be the best option in this case.