The enamel sponge of death!! What do I do?

Every once in awhile, but all too often, I open up a bottle of enamel that has had very little use, still fairly new, and discover that the paint has coagulated into a spongy blob that is impossible to re-thin. I'm not talking about normal thickening that occurs with age and use and can be resurrected with a little thinner, but this strange indestructible glop that ends up in the trash can. I even tried adding a little laquer thinner tonight (what did I have to lose?) and it had no effect. Does anybody know what this is and most important, is there a cure? I really needed my yellow paint tonight!!

:bandhead2:

Any ideas?

if you add the thiner to the bottle before, it is normal to be a blob... so, always thin your paint outside the bottle and never put the thined paint back to bottle.... sometimes a newly cleaned paint brush with a little lefrover thinner is enough to kill your paint...

I've had some semi-gloss MM enamels do this to me on their own without having ever been thinned at all. I think the differences in the varnishes and paints themselves have a lot to do with it. I have some colors that were and still are almost water consistency six months later after much use, and others that thicken up quick. As was stated...try not to reintroduce anything from outside the bottle. I transfer paints from the bottle by using an old paint brush that I clean after every use, just like my airbrush. This is good for two reasons. It prevents overpour / waste that often forces some to try to pour back into the container, and it also prevents messes around the rim of the jar / bottle that can also be a big part of the "goop" problem. I thin everything within the confines of my airbrush, and since I use so little (little drop on the end of a regular brush) then I have the option to use more or less as needed without wasting, or making a mess.

Probably some useless info but before opening a new tin of my favourite Humbrol, I always take a needle file and make a gouge on the lid-rim and a corresponding gouge on the tin-rim. When I close the tin again it will be aligned as before. I also wipe the lid thoroughly with a tissue before closing. never had drying paint problems since.

Regards

Pierre