Micro Set/Sol and future

Hi guys

on my last 2 models ive been getting some what look like residue after applying my decals with Micro Sol/Set over my future.

It looks kinda like glue left over or maybe a bad reaction with the future but on my gloss black finish its a PITA !!

Anyone know how to clean this ?? On normal enamel clear i would use 70% alcohol but that stuff eats future! on my previous built i tried water and dish sop and didnt seam to work that great

Thanks for the help

Cheers

Neo

Hi guys

on my last 2 models ive been getting some what look like residue after applying my decals with Micro Sol/Set over my future.

It looks kinda like glue left over or maybe a bad reaction with the future but on my gloss black finish its a PITA !!

Anyone know how to clean this ?? On normal enamel clear i would use 70% alcohol but that stuff eats future! on my previous built i tried water and dish sop and didnt seam to work that great

Thanks for the help

Cheers

Neo

Well, this will not help you with your current issue, but could help you in the future. No pun intended.

I generally don't use Future under decals. I just use regular Testors Glosscote. It goes on easy with an airbrush and doesn't run unless you use very poor technique. There are never issues with decal solvents. After decaling, I will shoot Future to seal the decals and provide a thin acrylic barrier for oil washes. When I am done, a final coat of Testors lacquer finishes it off.

Edited by DutyCat

If your getting a foggy hue around your decals because of the micro sol/set, then just spray some future over it and it will clear up. The other thing you want to do is, after you have applied your decals, let them dry over night. Then take a soft sponge with some soup and water and lightly clean around your decals. It won't lift them, but will get any of Micro Sol/Set residue off. Then you can spray future over the decals.

Hope this helps,

Robert

Hi Guys

yeah ive had the foggy milkish but that does go away with another coat of future

Then take a soft sponge with some soup and water and lightly clean around your decals.

Ill give this another try last time i just rubbed it with my finger and didnt really do the trick.

What kind of SOUP do you use ? Chicken noodle or Mushroom cream?

Hey Neo, Is anything new? (same bottle of Future, same Micro Sol/Set, same paint, etc.) I know that you've flown it around the flag pole a few times, in other words, you've built your share of models. If nothin's bad, the only thing I can think of is that the Future isn't cured. I let mine dry and cure for a minimum of 2 or 3 days, and sometimes longer. I know I'm preachin' to the choir, but that's my 2 cents worth. Good luck, and I sure would like to know what you came up with.

Yep same bottlesof rverything..

It probsbly happend all the time but never noticed it before gloss black relly dhows all the defects ..ill try to post a pic tomorow

:doh:/> LOL, Split Pea soup works the best for me, it has some grit.

The soap and water is just to clean around te decals before you apply another gloss coat. Not meant to remove the hazy look of the clear.

Sometimes the leftover residue from the MicroSet/Sol will react to a top coat of Future so it is a good idea to clean this off. The haze might clear up over time if you luck out.

I would also try a thin coat of straight Windex. When spraying Future, I also spray another coat of Windex on top to level things out even further. It might blend things after drying and if it doesn't work, you're no worse off than you were before.

Weird. I've never had an issue with Future being pebbly or uneven. If you spray it at medium pressure (~20 psi) and mist it on, it levels right out without fouling your lungs with Windex.

It can and usually does go on very nicely, but if you ever want the ultimate smooth surface, I highly recommend it. Here's an example after a Windex coat:

Future13.jpg

You should try it- and I always use a respirator when I spray anything.

It can and usually does go on very nicely, but if you ever want the ultimate smooth surface, I highly recommend it. Here's an example after a Windex coat:

Future13.jpg

You should try it- and I always use a respirator when I spray anything.

That's nice. Ever try Future with little Simple Green mixed in?

The Windex "flash coat" really does a nice job of blending all the layers of Future together and raising the gloss level. I use it all the time as the last step in applying a Future coat. I need the Windex to clean the airbrush anyway!

Hey chuck

I spray my future with windex on since you cf18b ;-)

This is not an issue of smoothness or haze. It just that there seam to be some residue once the Set/Sol dries out on the future. I could be glue residu from the decals too hence the reson it dosent always happen!!

Ive applyed the ladt of the stencils last night so tomorow ill try to clean it with soap

Alright here is a pic of what im trying to describe here

p10308431.jpg

This does not go away with another coat of future ... i tried that on my JR tomcat

Edited by Neo

I've had the same, a sort of white dusty looking residue that looks like when cyano has left it's mark on canopies. It does seem to be a reaction, and I've stopped using future with decal setting solutions to see if it stops happening, and so far so good. However, when it does happen, letting it dry for a good while then using future to make it disappear seems to work, but it does leave a bit of surface texture.

Edited by lesthegringo

Hi Neo. I'm fairly certain that is due to uncurred future. I had the same thing happen on my f-15dj. I thought 24 hours is more than enough to start using micrsol on a futured surface. I was wrong. Usually when things are dry to the touch, I am not so afraid proceeding with the next steps. Not with future! Definitely 2-3 days is necessary if you will be doing anyghing on top of future. Once cured, however, I find it to be like a rock.

Hi Neo. I'm fairly certain that is due to uncurred future. I had the same thing happen on my f-15dj. I thought 24 hours is more than enough to start using micrsol on a futured surface. I was wrong. Usually when things are dry to the touch, I am not so afraid proceeding with the next steps. Not with future! Definitely 2-3 days is necessary if you will be doing anyghing on top of future. Once cured, however, I find it to be like a rock.

Not sure thats the case i took me 2 weeks to apply the decals on this this !! im pretty sure it had time to dry!!

Not sure exactly whats going on here, but I had a similar problem when I attempted to spray misting coats of mr color with lacquer thinner for a salt weathering job. When I went to wash off the salt, DISASTER, the future reacted with some combination of the future and lacquer thinner. Never one to panic, I figured there has to be a solution. Enter 91% isopropyl alcohol, this stuff acts as a solvent/leveler with future, I just brushed it all over the plane. The finish isn't as smooth as it was before the incident, but the alcohol turned the future clear again, instead of gummy, and saved a lot of work.