Tamiya 1/32 Spitfire Mk XVIe

Ooh!...nice :wub:/>

I'm not sure I've seen one of these being built so I hope you are able to take plenty of progress pics along the way. I'd like to see how this one comes together.

:foof:/>

Me too.

I've heard a lot about the kit, but haven't seen an in-progress yet. We'll cheer you on if you post lots of pics!

ALF

Thanks for looking in guys! I've done a little bit over the last couple of days. Here's the IP and rudder

pedals. The call-out in the sheet is for XF-16 (Aluminum) for all of the pedal assembly. The AeroDetail book

disagrees but I wimped out and went for the sheet lol

DSC_5942_zps7c1eea1b.jpg

DSC_5943_zps7b657f3d.jpg

:cheers:/>

Holy smokes! I swear I can study those engine instruments and learn the limitations for Merlin engine operation...

Are those the kit parts? Decals included for those instruments?

ALF

ALF..yes kit decals. If you look really close I screwed up the compass decal. They all have a millimeter or so of carrier film

that makes lining them up a little contentious. I keep thinking I should whip out the Waldron punch'n die set and individually

punch just the dial out.....but I'm lazy and it might cause more problems than it solves :)

The sandwich layout is

front panel -> clear part with raised disks -> then the decal.

So it's not like some of the acetate setups you see on some kits. The clear part fits nicely into a recessed area on the back of the IP.

BTW Sorry to see the problems with the 104 :( I see you were thinking of trying Lacquer Thinner to strip it.....I would avoid

that as the L/T will eat the plastic. If you want to try something that's (almost) as strong but easier on the plastic get

a hold of some Mr. Color Thinner. It can be used to dissolve putty for paper-less sanding too. Great stuff

:cheers:

Things are moving along quickly for the spit so I thought it was time for an update. The various internal pieces

were painted and ready to assemble but I thought I would dry-fit everything first. So this series of pictures

is kinda in reverse order :)/>

Starting with everything (taped) together. The cockpit has not been weathered and the gun-sight and seat-belts are

missing

DSC_5944_zpsbb15d24d.jpg

Good old Tamiya fit. I only have to fill a couple of spots where I was a little too agressive trimming

sprue gates :doh:/>

More of the same

DSC_5945_zps7fb842cf.jpg

DSC_5946_zps976b4b6b.jpg

DSC_5947_zps832b99e0.jpg

The marks on the fuel tank were self-inflicted. I sprayed the internal frame colour first and then thought I could

blu-tac the frame and spray the aluminum....but the blu-Tac stuck a little too well and I had a hell of time

cleaning it off. The up-shot is this piece will not be visible so it doesn't matter

DSC_5948_zps157421d4.jpg

A shot with the starboard side-wall removed

DSC_5950_zps42087dfa.jpg

The (un-weathered) side-walls

DSC_5953_zpsf1793627.jpg

DSC_5955_zpsaa9d7274.jpg

And finally the whole sha-bang put together with the gun-sight, belts and a quick dry-brush

DSC_5961_zpsbcac5ebd.jpg

So the fuselage halves will be joined tonight as I'm following the sheet assembly sequence.

Thanks for looking in

Nice choice and nice work.....i am tempted to get one myself.....real cool looking aircraft....but the price and the waiting time from stash to table always makes me put the box back...maybe after seeing yours complete it my push me over the top

rgds

mr b

I'm really liking this kit, and the great job you're doing on it. One day I definitely will do one of these.

Thanks for the tip about the lacquer thinner eating the plastic. I have started sanding down the black paint again, and will not be proceeding with the Alclad finish on that 104. It will end up overall green, with a black nose, to hide some of the surface blemishes I caused.

ALF

Progress this weekend. Fuse buttoned up, wings assembled without a hitch and wings and LG attached

DSC_5966_zps41912688.jpg

DSC_5965_zpsb9e5d7ef.jpg

This kit is a hoot to build. Everything fits like a glove and they even give you extra screws

in case you lose one (almost did)

The other neat thing is the underwing intakes....they look identical on on the sprue but for the heck of it

I swapped them around to see if there was a difference. Sure enough they didn't quite fit in the opposite

side. I started second-guessing which was which until I looked closely at the parts and they each had an R or L

scribed into the plastic by Tamiya.

Anyway...on to engine assembly. Weird doing that towards the end

Thanks for checking in

I've never seen this kit. I do like this version of the Spitfire, bubble canopy, engine bulges, clipped wings, wide tail... I'm tempted to get this kit, in 25+ years i've never built a Spit. Great progress.

Don

Thanks guys...you're too kind! Don...no bulges it's a Merlin 266. The engine built in the US under license

by the Packard Motor Co. The rest of the airframe is essentially a Mk IX with a low-back for the

bubble. The Mk XVI was used because the difference in the metric (UK) and Imperial (US) measurement and assembly and

small differences in the supercharger plumbing made it impossible to use the 2 powerplants interchangably

Here's the update for today. Packard-built Merlin is assembled and weathered and installed in its cradle

DSC_5968_zps86820c93.jpg

DSC_5969_zps1434756a.jpg

DSC_5970_zps23539451.jpg

DSC_5971_zps419b9bed.jpg

DSC_5972_zpsc2762162.jpg

DSC_5973_zps033eeccc.jpg

DSC_5975_zps869cc8d7.jpg

DSC_5976_zpsecbafc38.jpg

thanks for checking in

:cheers:/>/>

On to painting the rest of the ship

Tamiya fine white primer (love this stuff)

DSC_5977_zpsc6f9820f.jpg

DSC_5978_zps86ca6b2c.jpg

for those who are not believers in TFW it levels even when you think you prayed it too thick and it

shows where your mistakes are. I had a little divot on the dorsal area that popped right out but after

a re-putty/re-prime it's all good

I went ahead and painted the leading edge yellow ID bands with Humbrol Insignia Yellow. I'll mask these off

ahead of doing the other top colours. It's easier than trying to put yellow over the camo later on

DSC_5979_zpsefcb4ade.jpg

Up next is a spray of Alclad Duraluminum along panel lines and high-traffic areas. Then I'll splatter some

Maskol on top along panel lines and wear-points. This plane was one of the first delivered to 127 Wing

and they operated from some pretty dirty strips. The only operational photo I have (from Spitfire - The Canadians)

shows it pretty dusty and beat up. So that's what I'm going with here :)/>/>/> It's not going to be all shiny

like the one (with the wrong serial) in Mike Potter's collection.

Late in 1945 Spitfires on the continent had their Sky spinners pained black and the Sky tail-bands over-painted (according

to the Kagero publication). The spinner on this plane was black but it wasn't surface-prepped properly (we all know

about that...right guys :)/>/>) so I'll have a black spinner with Sky paint chips (flakes!)

Sir,

That is exceptional detailing on the engine.{ I love engines :whistle: }.

She is coming along very neatly and nicely and I am SO impressed by the details, :salute:

Your tenacity and had work has paid off. :worship:

Looking forward to the end results .. :coolio:

Thanks Holmes :cheers:/>/>/>

Here's an update with the progress so far. After masking the leading edge ID stripes I sprayed Alclad Duraluminum

and pre-shaded with WEM RLM66 (I find black a little to stark). Since I'm using the Tamiya camo colours issued

for their Spitfire family I will be able to do some realistic chip and wear patterns by (gently) removing

the acrylic Tamiya paints from the base Alclad

DSC_5982_zpsab341989.jpg

DSC_5983_zps16fed04a.jpg

DSC_5986_zps84376242.jpg

DSC_5987_zpse103e4dd.jpg

DSC_5988_zps72d99ff7.jpg

Tonight I laid down the bottom colour (Tamiya XF83 - Medium Sea Grey)

DSC_5990_zpsdae86763.jpg

And here's an example of the wear'n tear on the prop. This is Alclad over-sprayed with Tamiya X18 and then

the black removed from the leading edges and a bit on the air-foil of the prop.

DSC_5992_zps4a35ba79.jpg

Thanks for looking in

Edited by ThatJeffGuy

And here's an example of the wear'n tear on the prop. This is Alclad over-sprayed with Tamiya X18 and then

the black removed from the leading edges and a bit on the air-foil of the prop.

DSC_5992_zps4a35ba79.jpg

Thanks for looking in

Great looking spit so far Jeff. The scheme is one I am very fond of!

011.jpg

but...I hate to break it to you but the prop is a little wrong. It would never weather like that since the blades on the Spitfire were(and still are) a wood core covered in a fiberglass like material.

you can actually see the broken blades in these pics

spi_2445357b.jpg

the_scene_where_a_two_seater_spitfire_crashed_at_a_9686045264.jpeg

it is a minor detail that most modelers miss. my first two or three spits are done up the same as yours!!

Sean

Here's another update. Top camo colours shot and engine dry-fitted

DSC_5994_zps70123635.jpg

DSC_5995_zpsfcbcd1fe.jpg

DSC_5996_zps290ccfd6.jpg

The cowl pieces are a little fiddly....I think I remember reading a while back there are fit issues. It might

get better once the Merlin is properly anchored

And the prop got re-coated in black. I'll simulate wear with a dry-brush of something in a tan range

:cheers:/>/>

• 3 weeks later...