Danica Patrick rides pole at the Daytona 500

Meh. I've always failed to understand her popularity beyond being a hot chick. Her on track record is inferior to a number of others in NASCAR, Indy Car, F1, and many other motorsports. Whats her record, 1 win in like 150 starts? A man with her racing record wouldn't even get a mention on the last page of the sport section.

Meh. I've always failed to understand her popularity beyond being a hot chick. Her on track record is inferior to a number of others in NASCAR, Indy Car, F1, and many other motorsports. Whats her record, 1 win in like 150 starts? A man with her racing record wouldn't even get a mention on the last page of the sport section.

Anna Kournikova isn't an elite tennis player either yet she draws that most important demographic...

Trust me I'm no fan of hers. Nor of NASCAR in general. I just wanted to create this thread with that title!

I fully expect her to wreck out in the first 100 laps. And the race will end in a green white checker huge accident as does every single NASCAR race.

Although I am intrigued to see what Juan dumbo Montoya slams into this year.

Meh...Dale Jr's won twice in the last 5.

I'd postulate the reason the media pay attention (and not coincidently why she has some big $$ behind her) is that she spends the time to talk to them, answers honestly with a fair amount of humility and appears to go out of her way to interact with folks that support her (business and fans). How many Cup drivers engage the media like that? Maybe 6?

When you get down to it, the chances for getting a break to the top rungs of racing on pure speed alone are about nil. You're going to have to be a spokesperson for someone; for that to happen you're going to need it align with their expectations while presenting yourself well to media, customers and fans. Danica does this to a T. If you follow the entirety of the sport, you're aware of some of the heartburn about the Skip Barber "road to indy" this year, as it's felt the top finishers had limited marketability even with great speed - not good for promoting the program as they're unlikely to make it to the top rungs. Almost all the driver development programs have training/assessments in media relations these days.

That said, $$ and media relations will only get you so far - you need to peform to stay there.

A great comparison for the above is compare Danica to Joey Lagono, who for all accounts lost his ride because the sponsors we not only unhappy with his lack of performance but his marketability is poor - not an outgoing personality, not telegenic (he's done how many commercials for his sponsors?), he's kind of goofy and his Dad's a liability.

BTW...twitter blew up after she got the pole today.

Besides that, how many people here can say they've driven a Nascar race car fast enough to win pole position in one of the most known races? For that matter, how many of her bashers could even drive a Nascar? So she may not be the best, but she's a heck of a better driver than most of the people that like to spend their time talking about how horrible of a driver she is.

And BTW, Anna Kournikova was at one time ranked #8 in singles and #1 doubles. Finished highest in her first grand slam tournament than anyone since Chris Everett. So yeah, she's a horrible player...phhhft.

Bill

Besides that, how many people here can say they've driven a Nascar race car fast enough to win pole position in one of the most known races? For that matter, how many of her bashers could even drive a Nascar? So she may not be the best, but she's a heck of a better driver than most of the people that like to spend their time talking about how horrible of a driver she is.

And BTW, Anna Kournikova was at one time ranked #8 in singles and #1 doubles. Finished highest in her first grand slam tournament than anyone since Chris Everett. So yeah, she's a horrible player...phhhft.

Bill

I don't think people here are saying she's a horrible driver. However, by the performance standards of motorsport, she doesn't have anywhere near the racing record to justify the attention she keeps getting. The whole "look, here's a woman driving a race car" thing has been long been played out and isn't fresh anymore. The fact that people here don't drive in NASCAR or play tennis has nothing to do with it. She just isn't performing at the higher levels of her sport.

I don't think people here are saying she's a horrible driver. However, by the performance standards of motorsport, she doesn't have anywhere near the racing record to justify the attention she keeps getting. The whole "look, here's a woman driving a race car" thing has been long been played out and isn't fresh anymore. The fact that people here don't drive in NASCAR or play tennis has nothing to do with it. She just isn't performing at the higher levels of her sport.

I do understand what you're saying, there are a lot better drivers out there, BUT I think the justification is counted in dollars. She's not a bad driver (starting pole sorta indicates that), she's not exactly unpleasant to the eyes (I for one don't want to see Jeff Gordon in a Go Daddy ad...maybe it's just me), and as Sponge pointed out, she actually interacts with fans, reporters and other people. She brings in money to the sport and picks up some viewers that might never watch a race if it weren't for them wanting to see if she's going to finish a race and/or maybe even win one. Seems to me like from a company/business point of view, that totally justifies the attention.

It is fresh to NASCAR Sprint Cup.

I do not see how she is not performing at the higher levels of her sport. Sprint cup is the highest level of NASCAR. She got the pole for the Daytona 500. Mind you, Only second try at it. First Women to win a pole "ever" In the sprint cup, never mind that pole being the Daytona 500 in her rookie year.

I would say/write it is fresh and a Big thing to write about.

"First Women" to win a pole In the Sprint cup.

"First Women" to win a pole in her rookie year In the Sprint cup.

"First Women" to win the pole for the Daytona 500.

"First Women" to win the pole for the Daytona 500 in her rookie year.

Those are all "first", those events will never happen in history again.

Edited by Wayne S

Rookie year is kind of a farce when she's been racing in it for years.

I wouldn't say she's highly skilled but she obviously has skill. She's much better suited to Indy and open wheel but there isn't as much money there. The sponsors wante her where the money is so that's why she came to NASCAR.

It is fresh to NASCAR Sprint Cup.

I do not see how she is not performing at the higher levels of her sport. Sprint cup is the highest level of NASCAR. She got the pole for the Daytona 500. Mind you, Only second try at it. First Women to win a pole "ever" In the sprint cup, never mind that pole being the Daytona 500 in her rookie year.

I would say/write it is fresh and a Big thing to write about.

"First Women" to win a pole In the Sprint cup.

"First Women" to win a pole in her rookie year In the Sprint cup.

"First Women" to win the pole for the Daytona 500.

"First Women" to win the pole for the Daytona 500 in her rookie year.

Those are all "first", those events will never happen in history again.

Almost everything she does is "First Woman". How about "First Woman" to crash out of the Daytona 500 on the second lap in 2012? "First Woman" to crash in qualifying for the Daytona 500 (2012 again). My point is you can put "First Woman" in almost everything she does, both good and bad.

Almost everything she does is "First Woman". How about "First Woman" to crash out of the Daytona 500 on the second lap in 2012? "First Woman" to crash in qualifying for the Daytona 500 (2012 again). My point is you can put "First Woman" in almost everything she does, both good and bad.

Honestly Dave, I do not think you are given credit where credit is do, knowingly or not.

She qualified in the 29th spot if I recall right for the 2012 Daytona 500. After the crash, she went back on track and finished in 38th place, Ahead of Kurt Bush, Jeff Gordon, Robby Gordon, Jimmie Johnson ( who started the crash she was involved in) and David Ragan.

I will say that I actually watched the entire race and all I can hope is that they do something to make it better next year. I was actually impressed there wasn't the huge stupid accidents on the last couple laps but what didn't impress me was that there was no chance for any other car to win unless they were at the head of the line. That was one of the most boring finish ever. The inside line was a joke and had no chance against the outside line. Usually there's some parity there and moves can be made but I didn't see anything all race.

They can say there were 13 leaders or whatever but all the lead changes came from restarts or pit stops. I can't remember seeing an honest green flag pass for the lead.

And again with the cautions for no reason? I almost threw my remote through the TV when they pulled a caution with 9 laps left. Come on they were lined up and full speed let them race.