F4D Skyray 1/48 Tamiya

Hello, I have finaly done some model...

Tamiya kit

CMK radar, engine, cockpit, flaps, wheel bays

Gun bay and panel on fuselage was scratched...

Decals Aeromaster, but 90% was airbrushed with masks...

Royale resin wheels (special thanks to Doug Smith)

Colors Gunze C

A01_zps9ba0c970.jpg

A04_zps8feab14e.jpg

A02_zps12134f47.jpg

A05_zps7a539653.jpg

A06_zpsff5c39d0.jpg

A03_zps2d1c9e0e.jpg

B01_zps87d91190.jpg

B02_zpsa1db41e3.jpg

B03_zps9f26167a.jpg

I've got some critiques.

Before I list them let me say that clearly this is a fantastic build. The craftsmanship is top notch. But there are some artistic liberties here that are incorrect/inconsistent (to me, anyway):

First, the panel lines (which look superb) are overdone. Before I posted this I searched through a bunch of Skyray pics and none of them really had visible panel lines (not like this). Again, your Skyray is great...its just not realistic (to me).

Second, the panel lines are very dirty/visible (which indicates wear and tear) but the painted areas are very clean, especially the decals. The panel shading, which turned out great, looks like differently painted panels...not panels that are dirty, faded or weathered. What I mean to say is that it looks intentional. My mind is saying "Wow, that is supposed to be dirty but it looks really clean." To me it sort of has an "Anime" look to it.

Third, to my eyes, the rivets look overdone. Again, I looked at several images before I posted and I'm just not seeing them on the real planes. I could be wrong, though. Maybe you have sources that are better than Google Images.

These are my opinions, of course. And like I said earlier...the workmanship is fantastic!

Edited by Fly-n-hi

I've got some critiques.

Before I list them let me say that clearly this is a fantastic build. The craftsmanship is top notch. But there are some artistic liberties here that are incorrect/inconsistent (to me, anyway):

First, the panel lines (which look superb) are overdone. Before I posted this I searched through a bunch of Skyray pics and none of them really had visible panel lines (not like this). Again, your Skyray is great...its just not realistic (to me).

Second, the panel lines are very dirty/visible (which indicates wear and tear) but the painted areas are very clean, especially the decals. The panel shading, which turned out great, looks like differently painted panels...not panels that are dirty, faded or weathered. What I mean to say is that it looks intentional. My mind is saying "Wow, that is supposed to be dirty but it looks really clean." To me it sort of has an "Anime" look to it.

Third, to my eyes, the rivets look overdone. Again, I looked at several images before I posted and I'm just not seeing them on the real planes. I could be wrong, though. Maybe you have sources that are better than Google Images.

These are my opinions, of course. And like I said earlier...the workmanship is fantastic!

you are right! :-)

You have definitely found your personal style. I do however feel that your panel and rivet detailing is a bit over done in comparison to the real thing. Just my personal preference.

A couple of critique items. 1. The slats on the folded wing section should be in the retracted position. 2. The external tank with the refueling probe is on the wrong side. It should be on the left wing. 3. You have the forward nose gear door and the forward main gear doors open which was never seen on a line bird. Just a personal pet peeve to have stuff open that shouldn't be unless it's in a maintenance check.

Other than what I've noted, your build is flawless in terms of craftsmanship.

Cheers,

John

I totaly disagree with the fact that the panellines are too dark or even overdone.

If you Google there are pictures which has the same finish concerning the panellines.

And even worse at the underside.

Thanks for the critique of the critiques :trolls:

Photo of 134757

Cheers,

John

Edited by CF104

I completely agree about the panel lines - when you look at the pictures of the real aircraft they are somewhat over-done.

The weathering/highlighting/shading/washing of panel-lines is becoming more and more common and many have the perception of it adding realism to a model by highlighting detail. I personally feel that it does the opposite - it's incredibly rare to see an aircraft with every panel line and rivet visible, and when you take in the scale effect of a model few, if any, would be visible. I feel it makes a model look like a CGI seen in many recent films!

However, as has been said many times we each build our models in our own way and have very individual perceptions of what makes a great model. We could argue forever about the highlighting of panel lines and whether it should be done; some love it, others loath it.

What we cannot argue about is the quality of the build here - it is stunning. Whether you like the panel lines or not, it cannot be argued that this is a 'top-notch' build and realistic or not, it's very pleasing on the eye. :)

Tom

I love every bit of it. Honza, you are one of the very best- cheers! Art is subjective- you either like it or you don't. As for me- I am a great fan of your modeling art.

chuk

I love every bit of it. Honza, you are one of the very best- cheers! Art is subjective- you either like it or you don't. As for me- I am a great fan of your modeling art.

chuk

Yep, gotta agree.

I totaly disagree with the fact that the panellines are too dark or even overdone.

If you Google there are pictures which has the same finish concerning the panellines.

And even worse at the underside.

Care to share a link to those pics for us?