F4D Skyray 1/48 Tamiya

many many thanks gentlemans!

In real aren´t the panel lines so shiny... It makes photos....

But they are good visible...

My feeling is, that model without good decent wash ( or wash on a half of model) looks like metal toy from gas station...

I will try to make some better photos of this kit, because on this photos isn ´t visible the real surface ( I mean matt/gloss).

Even if you don't agree with it, there's no need to critique someone on their artistic preference or style.

I believe that criticisms ought to be reserved for observations of technique and skill.

In a hypothetical situation, if someone paints his plane pink instead of olive drab, he's probably aware of it, and did it intentionally. Commenting on it would serve no purpose. I think the same thing applies here. A more valid response would entail tips on how to fix huge gaps on that person's next build.

In any case Honza's technique and skills are perfect, and I certainly can't suggest anything for him to do better next time.

Edited by Luno13

Even if you don't agree with it, there's no need to critique someone on their artistic preference or style.

I believe that criticisms ought to be reserved for observations of technique and skill.

In a hypothetical situation, if someone paints his plane pink instead of olive drab, he's probably aware of it, and did it intentionally. Commenting on it would serve no purpose. I think the same thing applies here. A more valid response would entail tips on how to fix huge gaps on that person's next build.

In any case Honza's technique and skills are perfect, and I certainly can't suggest anything for him to do better next time.

This is the critique corner, if anyone has issues with criticism, then please do not post here.

Having said that, I trully appreciate the craftsmanship, your work is superb! To me your model is a bit of a dichotomy.

On one hand it looks weathered, but on the other hand it looks brand new. The paint has no smudges, there are no stains or obvious signs of wear. The different color panels look like they were removed one at a time, painted a different color and then reinstalled. It makes for a disruptive pattern, but not a realistic representation of a plane that has been used.

Dude, chill out. The OP said I was right so you're barking up the wrong tree here.

This is the critique corner, if anyone has issues with criticism, then please do not post here.

Having said that, I trully appreciate the craftsmanship, your work is superb! To me your model is a bit of a dichotomy.

On one hand it looks weathered, but on the other hand it looks brand new. The paint has no smudges, there are no stains or obvious signs of wear. The different color panels look like they were removed one at a time, painted a different color and then reinstalled. It makes for a disruptive pattern, but not a realistic representation of a plane that has been used.

I haven´t any problems with critiques....

Yes, I can make model by only one grey and white color, without wash... but I dont like model looks like a toy....

Edited by Honza K.

Honza, I think this model is absolutely beautiful. I truly wish I had your skills and talents.

I would also like to add about the weathering. Personally, I love the way it looks on this model. A lot of people are unhappy with how this type of weathering compare to photographs of the real thing. However, I feel one has to be very careful of photographs. One of my other hobbies is aviation photography, and over the years I started trusting photographs less and less when it comes to its depiction of fine surface details as well as colour. I have noticed in many of my collections, depending on the exact light conditions and angle of the sun, the panel lines would be almost invisible most of the time even though I can remember they were quite vivid in real life. In one set of pictures I would have examples where panel lines are black and stark (clearly because of the way shadows are cast) while in the same set and of the same aircraft, I will have photographs where you cannot distinguish any panel lines at all. On older photographs - especially scanned slides or ones taken with higher ISO film, I also find you can seldom see the surface details even though the photo does appear sharp and I can remember the surface details being very obvious on the real thing.

The same happens with colour - especially when taking pictures in overcast conditions, the white balance is often off and greens can look like blues, greys like greens, etc. Once again I am always amazed by the amount of variation in colour I would see in one batch of pictures taken of the same aircraft.

My point is that, even comparing to a photograph of the real thing, surface treatment simply does not have a right and wrong. What I personally notice though, is when looking at perfectly clean models with no highlighting of the surface details at all, they simply look like plastic toys. None of your models look like toys to me, and in my opinion that means you nailed it. Because so much of this is artistic interpretation, you will find it impossible to ever please everyone - I like your work and hope you don't try too hard to change it to satisfy all the criticism. Of course, if you like a comment and feel you should experiment a bit with it - go for it, but honestly, I think the way your work is coming out these days is about as close to perfect as one can get.

Oryx thank you very much for your words!

My opinion about this problem in short sentences...

1) I try to make the most from every model. When I see clean plane (as Skyrays was), I make the surface clean.

But just see some rivets in the photos, now it's the reason for me to improve model rivets. (because I thing this make model better).

2) the same is with the different panel shades of grey... In real is this effect very unobtrusive.

Really big problem is make a good photo of this quiet details...

Now I bought four big lights, "photographic tent" and try make better and better photos... But it´s still different between real and fotos.

But this can be never ending discusion and the important thing is setting of monitor of every user of this forum...

And the most important thing is, That I am satisfied. :-D

Honza,

Another beautiful model! I like your artistic style and skillful execution...well done.

In the early 1960's, the US Navy began fitting Martin Baker ejection seats (with the familiar black and yellow pull rings atop the headrest) into Skyrays. Period photos of BuNo 134757 in VF-162 markings indicate it may have been fitted with the new seat.

Congratulations on a great build...I look forward to your next.

Rich