MiG-19 PM Farmer E

Hi Aigore!

I am following your build, very nice progress so far.

Here is a link which might help you with some fine detailing: http://repulomuzeum.hu/Leltar/Leltarfotok/MIG-19lt.htm

The nose lip was laminated plastic (due to radar behind)and it's original base colour was tan-brownish matt colour. I am not sure if that was painted with aluminum as a base coat, but I would doubt this as the aluminum layer would have objected the radar waves. I think the green colour was directly sprayed on the plastic itself (special paint developed for dielectric panels)

Gábor will help us later with the exact detail.

Keep up the good work!

Cheers,

Pal

OK then, decals!

I finally decided to make a East german MiG...mostly because the big numerals on the nose covered upp do-do´s so well :P

Nothing much to say really, the decals were top notch and looks smashing on the kit, a bit of clear coat on top and I can start weathering it :D

The weathering is a bit tricky tho, I highly doubt an operational MiG-19 looks like one of the out door museum pieces, they simply have been neglected for decades...good pictures of operative MiG-19s are a bit hard to come by.

Any input on the weathring would be grateful :D

IMG_0233_zpsc994acdd.jpg

IMG_0234_zps4041372b.jpg

IMG_0235_zpsfeddf5e8.jpg

I decided to do away with the chipping, I painted the chippings with a brush and then I polished a bit and put down a new coat of paint with the airbrush.

IMG_0236_zps5a96a829.jpg

IMG_0237_zpsf0d4bcd2.jpg

Lastly I put some tubing on the landing gears and put down a clear coat before weathering.

IMG_0238_zps1527bc96.jpg

CHeers!

Awesome work on painting along with the decals looks great, it's really nice to see the old school jets come to life.

Edited by tonal

Last update!

I decided to go for a rugged bird so I begun with my panelline wash (artist oils)

IMG_0239_zps922049a3.jpg

Wiped it off with a cloth.

IMG_0240_zps9130cf16.jpg

Then I made some streaking and finished off with several flat coats to give it that oxidized feeling...I lost a lot of the shine and I like it!

IMG_0241_zps89900793.jpg

IMG_0243_zpsd601f74b.jpg

Well next there´s just some pieces to assemble and then it´s time for a photoshoot :D

Cheers!

:jaw-dropping::jaw-dropping::jaw-dropping:

Wow! Simply astonishing job, Janne! Splendid Aluminium finish on this hard working interceptor!

This MiG-19PM has also an interesting story - she served in the LSK/NVA with the code 335 painted with Soviet fonts (the black outlined red code was applied in a Soviet unit before the handover of the aircraft to the East German AF).

After retirement from active service, red 335 was placed on a concrete pylon as a gate guard (still with SovAF style codes). Few years later, she was transferred to the "Traditionslinie Bautzen" Museum, where she got a spurious camouflage scheme (LSK/NVA MIG-19s never got any camo during their service) and received the code "335" this time painted with standard East German AF fonts.

After the reunification of Germany, the bird landed in the Uetersen Museum (Hamburg) together with other a/c from Bautzen. The whole collection was later moved to Berlin, where red 335 can be seen today, in still fictive, worn out camo.

Greetings

Diego