Hey guys!

Seem to be having issues with every new model I try to make, I ruined a 72 scale f-18 with a bad can of gloss coat, now this 72 scale f-16 is being a pain in the butt with the decals.. I just can't win.

Surface is smooth, two Coates of gloss, everything went on really easy then this happens

image-8_zps7f39ba81.jpg

I apply onto microset, then apply MicroSol over it..

I tried making tiny slices in the skin to help it absorb but nothing gives. These are cartograf decals from an academy f-16.

The other decals on the plane seem to have gone on easy.

This is making me nervous as I have more cartograf decals in much more expensive eduard kits, and after this I'm scared to use them. All these 72 scales are just practice before I start on my nicer 48 scales.

Please help brothers !

Edited by eclipseone

You really only need to apply the solvent if needed, but if you still want to apply it at the decal setting stage, just run it along the panel-line rivet details, there is no real reason to have solvent over the smooth area of the fin.

And since you will be barraged with 1000 and 1 different techniques, I'll fire off the first one.

Try using Future Floor wax (search) diluted with water (actually, water with a bit of Future) in place of the micro set, you will be surprised at the pulling power of Future, then once dry and if needed you can apply a solvent to pull down any stubborn areas that did not sink into the panels/recessed details.

Curt

Pretty smooth but I'm sure it could be better. I had issues with model Master paint being dusty but this is tamiya. Any tips to smooth it down more? Still learning the airbrush, maybe I need to add retarder

I'm going to leave the decals over night , can it be fixed or does it need to be removed? If so how do i remove it

Thanks guys

Edited by eclipseone

Reaply more Micro sol make sure your decal is in a vertical position it will fix itself

worst case if it dosent is : apply another coat of Sol wait for it to be almost dry, very gently use a Q-Tip and press the wrinkles down, reapply Sol

this happens to me all the time.. always manage to recover

May be this is a little extreme, but if you are going to strip the decals anyway....

get some nail varnish remover, and add water to it, and put it on the decals

use it well diluted to start with, but if it doesn't work, a little less diluted next time. BUT, don't rub, touch or try to move the decals when you use this, they will be like liquid and will fall apart at the slightest touch. It has worked for me but it is not the easiest technique

Hope you recover what looks like a great model

Pretty smooth but I'm sure it could be better. I had issues with model Master paint being dusty but this is tamiya. Any tips to smooth it down more? Still learning the airbrush, maybe I need to add retarder

Looks like you didn't use enough thinner when airbrushing Tamiya. Unlike Model Master, Tamiya acrylics need 50% thinner, sometimes slightly more, and they spray beautifully and smoothly when mixed with Tamiya thinner.

Two thoughts

1 Did you squeegee the water out from under the decal? I use a soft brush and move from the center to the edges. You may have trapped water under the decal.

2 Try using a hair dryer on "low" to see what happens. Then re wet the decal with the solution and try the dryer again.

Bob

Okay that's good tip for the thinner. Ill try it next time!

I applied micro set and let the decal sit on it, I didn't run the solution out from under it. Then applied the solvent over top.

I used Testors spray can for the gloss coat.

Is nail polish remover the best for removing the decal ?

Thanks guys

I used Testors spray can for the gloss coat.

It sounds like your gloss coat was not fully cured before you started decaling and it was still gassing off when you applied your decals, causing them to wrinkle.

What can I do to assure this doesn't happen again

Try and stay away from rattle can gloss and flat coats. They contain strong and powerful solvents and if not not given enough time to fully cure it will react to anything put on top of it like decals, dry tranfers and even other clear coats. If you continue to use rattle can gloss and or flat coats, make sure you let them dry for a few days before applying decals.

I could be wrong but, it just looks like thats what happening to your decal. Next kit, try a water based gloss like Future. Tons of modelers use it and with great success.

Best of luck and don't let this get you down,

Steven L :wave:

Got me on the "not waiting for gloss to cure" guilty for sure. Maybe waited 5 hours.

What is suggested as a spray for gloss? The reason I use Testors is I like to oil wash , and to clean the oil I use white spirit which will destroy paint and gloss coats if not careful . How does future hold up against mineral spirits

You can still use the rattle can, just wait a few days and let it fully cure and dry before you decal. Not sure how Future holds up against mineral spirits. Someone here should knows. I use Future and a water base wash and never had any problems with it attacking the future.

Don't stop modeling,

What is the mix ratio for spraying future as a gloss coat

I think it's a matter of personal prefer. What works well for others may not work well for you. I have found what works well for me is to add a few drops of windex to Future. Here's two pics of my USMC Hawker Hunter and you can see my result with Future as a gloss coat.

USMCHunter_1.jpg

USMCHunter_3.jpg

For me the trick is to shoot it wet. But not so wet that it runs. But if I get a run, no problem. I'll let it dry overnight, and wet sand(400-600 grit) it out then reshoot it. If you decide to use Future as your gloss coat, test it on something first. Get a feel for how to shoot it and get a level of glossiest your happy with before you go shooting a finished model. And let it dry overnight before doing anything to it. :thumbsup:

Hope that helps,

Edited by FAR148