How to add homing beacon wire antenna to a P51

Can anyone give me the best technique for adding the homing beacon wire antenna from the fin, thru the canopy, and attaching it to the armor plate behind the seat? It seems very intimidating to me, especially the part of putting the wire THRU the canopy. Whenever I think of putting a hole in the canopy it always seems daunting to me especially since I have never touched my canopy before other than putting future on them. Thanks.

I always use a very tiny dental burr to put a hole in clear styrene. I find I get better control than with a tiny drill bit. The trick is to make a very tiny nick in the plastic at the point where you want the hole (use the tip of a #11 blade), and GO SLOW. Clear styrene is very brittle.

As for how to go about attaching it, I would attach some invisible thread (thin monofilament line) to the head rest, thread it through the canopy, attach the canopy, then attach to the fin. Just go slow and think before you do anything. The advantage to invisible thread is that you can gently heat it and make it snap taut.

Remember that there was a small roller mounted in the canopy that the wire rode on on the P-51D/K.

Also, you get big points for calling it by its correct name! It is indeed a homing beacon receiver antenna, not just a generic radio antenna :)

Edited by Jennings

Thanks for the information. I'm not going to ask the best way to put the small roller mount in the canopy unless you want to explain the technique to me. I am still intimidated to put a hole in my canopy but nothing will happen if I don't get the cajones to just do it. And thanks for giving me points by naming the beacon right, I'm a new modeler and sometimes I don't get the names right for the part that I am trying to explain.

Use the trick that people who work with ceramic tiles use - put some scotch tape over the canopy where you want to make the hole, and then it is a) earier to mark and b ) the tool that you are going to use will be less likely to slip and c) the rest of the canopy has some protection against possible false cuts

Les

Edited by lesthegringo

Use the trick that people who work with ceramic tiles use - put some scotch tape over the canopy where you want to make the hole, and then it is a) earier to mark and b ) the tool that you are going to use will be less likely to slip and c) the rest of the canopy has some protection against possible false cuts

Les

I think that this is the best way to put a hole in my canopy. Thanks for the information.

Thanks for the information. I'm not going to ask the best way to put the small roller mount in the canopy unless you want to explain the technique to me. I am still intimidated to put a hole in my canopy but nothing will happen if I don't get the cajones to just do it. And thanks for giving me points by naming the beacon right, I'm a new modeler and sometimes I don't get the names right for the part that I am trying to explain.

I am so glad that I stumbled across this thread. I am in the process of building this same kit and was trying to figure this out as well. I had the privlidge of attending the Old Dominion Open in Richmond today and had the chance to look at a few of these kits on display. I have to admit the whole process of drilling on the canopy does look intimidating! I do wonder how one would go about making the small roller mount. Any and all input would be awesome.

This is great place and I really appreciate the advice and inputs. Been away from the hobby for a while and oh so glad to be picking up the airbrush and glue again!!

DC