Absolutely in-freaking-credible...

http://nation.time.com/2013/02/21/sequestration-is-for-sissies-6-9-billion-more-for-the-f-22/

"Lockheed Martin Aeronautics Co., Fort Worth, Texas, is being awarded an indefinite-delivery/indefinite-quantity contract (FA8611-13-D-2850) with a ceiling of $6,900,000,000 for F-22 modernization…This award is a result of a sole source acquisition."

This is just before almost 800,000 DoD civilians are going to get a pink slip - among many, many other really fun things. In-freaking-credible. $350 million apiece for fighters that can once in a while actually get off the ground.

Edited by Jennings

http://nation.time.com/2013/02/21/sequestration-is-for-sissies-6-9-billion-more-for-the-f-22/

"Lockheed Martin Aeronautics Co., Fort Worth, Texas, is being awarded an indefinite-delivery/indefinite-quantity contract (FA8611-13-D-2850) with a ceiling of $6,900,000,000 for F-22 modernization…This award is a result of a sole source acquisition."

This is just before almost 800,000 DoD civilians are going to get a pink slip - among many, many other really fun things. In-freaking-credible. $350 million apiece for fighters that can once in a while actually get off the ground.

This contract is for multiple upgrades to the F-22 fleet over a 10 year period. The $6 billion isn't getting spent in full this year. Even something that was cutting edge still needs to be improved over time. It's no different than any other weapons system (or civilian airliner for that matter). ID/IQ contracts in my opinion are bogus but they seem to be standard for stuff like this. Given that LM built the plane, it's doubtful that there would be much to gain by sending this work out for bid.

The timing shouldn't matter. DoD still has to do their mission, regardless of sequestration. As far as not being able to get off the ground, my understanding is that they are pretty much back in full operations, with most of the restrictions lifted.

Can't pass judgement on the cost (which I admit does seem a bit excessive) but if you look at the description of the various upgrades, they will add quite a bit to the performance / survivability of the Raptor. Lets see if the work actually gets done on time / budget. I'm not as optimistic on that point.

Edited by 11bee

6,9*109/10 years/188 (187?)= 3,67 million USD per aircraft per year. Or 36,7 million per aircraft in total for modernization. Would be interesting how that compares with B-2 modernization for example.

Yawn. As pointed out...note the word "ceiling"; essentially the total line of credit. Each delivery order under the ID/IQ will have a negotiated price. Plus the way things are at the moment I doubt any funding will be moved anytime soon - this was most likely done to keep L-M from laying off the talent.

Spongebob

• 2 weeks later...

Do you mean like the 1 Billion Dollar aid package that the current admin is getting ready to give to Egypt?

Do you mean like the 1 Billion Dollar aid package that the current admin is getting ready to give to Egypt?

$0.8 zillion, which makes ZERO cents (a great pun there for maximum enjoyment!). :wasntme:

With all due respect, 800,000 civilian DOD workers are not going to get "pink slips". At least we're spending our money on our jets. I'm waiting for an answer why we gave the Muslim Brotherhood 20 F-16C Blk 52's, 210 M1A2 tanks and now john Kerry goes to Morsi with hat in hand and gives them $250M in cash.

Chuck

JPK, who in the hell said nuke everybody except the Christians and Jews and make everyone else targets?? I just questioned during these tough times the wisdom of handing half a billion dollars over to a country, led by a regime that doesn't "agree" with us, much less like us. If I'm not mistaken, our current administration still labels the Muslim Brotherhood as a terrorist group. Gosh, we're so sensitive. Nuke everybody??? Jeeze.

Chuck

I'm waiting for an answer why we gave the Muslim Brotherhood 20 F-16C Blk 52's, 210 M1A2 tanks and now john Kerry goes to Morsi with hat in hand and gives them $250M in cash.

Chuck

Can't remember whether I am on a modeling website or fauxnews.com. The difference is becoming blurred.

I'd answer in a bit more detail but a previous go-round on the pro's and con's of foreign aid was culled by the admin team.

If you can't find anything else positive on the above, at least keep in mind that having a nation equipped with US weapons does give us some significant leverage if we ever break ties completely. I highly doubt this deal included a guarantee of life time spares and tech support. If we chose to, within a short time, these planes would be on the ground out of service.

I wouldn't be surprised either if some of the software might have been "modified" to allow certain other nations to access it if needed.

Can't remember whether I am on a modeling website or fauxnews.com. The difference is becoming blurred.

I'd answer in a bit more detail but a previous go-round on the pro's and con's of foreign aid was culled by the admin team.

If you can't find anything else positive on the above, at least keep in mind that having a nation equipped with US weapons does give us some significant leverage if we ever break ties completely. I highly doubt this deal included a guarantee of life time spares and tech support. If we chose to, within a short time, these planes would be on the ground out of service.

I wouldn't be surprised either if some of the software might have been "modified" to allow certain other nations to access it if needed.

Pretty much like any Media's news sites ...

-Gregg