Tamiya M1A2 SEP Tusk II comments

Got the kit the other day, and like the other recent Tamiya Abrams kits, it has good detail, fit, easy construction, and good accuracy (especially on the newer parts), it seems to still share a lot of the issues from their previous releases. A couple of big ones are the use of the original motorization hole hull, no lightning holes in the drive sprockets, and the lack of anti-skid coating on the upper hull and turret. To their credit, Tamiya has made some improvements since the 2006 M1A2 OIF release, and much of the kit is new, it's incomprehensible that Tamiya still won't fix the biggest grips with their kits, especially for a kit that retails for $92 in the US (but can be found for $60 or so). You can see the parts and instructions on various sites, so I won't repeat them here.

The kit still has the old lower hull with the motorization holes from the initial release of the M1 kit 1982. Things are improved slightly this time with Tamiya finally giving you separate plugs for the rear belly holes (yes, it's taken 30 years for Tamiya to give you parts to plug the holes) and a large belly armor plate that covers inaccurate center belly section, as well as covering the holes there. They also included new return roller mounts and struts for the side skirts, but these updates are entirely hidden when the skirts are mounted. Given that they changed all of the other big parts (upper hull, rear hull plate, and turret) for this kit, it makes little sense that they didn't also make a new hull. Maybe they figure that no one will see the issues as they are hidden unless you pick the tank up.

The upper hull is new and they have finally fixed the inner left side air intake with it now being correctly raised and sloped instead of being flat like the outer air intake. Also the turret is new as the detail on top of the blowout panels has changed. With them molding a new turret and hull, it's mystifying that they also didn't add the anti-skid coating.

The kit also includes a new clear parts sprue due to the armored glass blocks for the shields around the loader and commander hatches and optics for the machine gun armament, yet you still have to cut the eight periscopes for the commander's cupola from a clear sheet of acetate.

The Dragon M1A1 AIM and M1A2 SEP kits are still better and cheaper representations of a later model M1, although they are more fiddly to build, and you would need to spend extra money for the Legend or other TUSK conversion.

So close Tamiya, so close........

Edited by Dave Williams

Working on mine right now. I found a really simple way to put the anti-slip on the turret and top of the hull. The kit went together extremely well. I am in the process now of doing the running gear.

I really do not like the way you have to cut the vision glass, Tamiya lets get it together here. I really like the fact that there is NO pe!

Hopefully I will have it finished this weekend and I will be able to paint the camo next week.

Cheers,

Mike