Steel Beach 1/48 OA-4M conversion

I pulled the first test cast tonight and installed it on my TA-4J. Everything looks like it cast okay, so I'll start making multiple molds and get casting. I also tried out the horizontal stab mechanism pieces that I cast. Some of the Skyhawk fans have been asking for them, so I gave it a try and they turned out pretty well. This is what I got done during my two snow days. I LOVE snow days! :woot.gif:/>/>/>

oa4m1.JPG

oa4m2.JPG

oa4m3.JPG

oa4m4.JPG

oa4m5.JPG

oa4m6.JPG

oa4m7.JPG

Edited by Darren Roberts

After getting some feedback on some smaller details, I've revised the conversion set a little bit. Here's a picture of the resin intake piece that contains the cooling inlet for the avionics hump. This inlet appeared on all OA-4M's. Also, though it's not in the picture, I've revised the avionics hump so that the vent along the side is in the correct position. I think I've got everything correct now. One thing I'd like to know is a rundown on the details of the foreign users so I can include it in the instruction sheet or come out with alternate sets. For example, the OA-4R had the hump, but retained the TA-4J nose. What other variants are out there that these resin parts can help make.

oa4m8.JPG

After getting some feedback on some smaller details, I've revised the conversion set a little bit. Here's a picture of the resin intake piece that contains the cooling inlet for the avionics hump. This inlet appeared on all OA-4M's. Also, though it's not in the picture, I've revised the avionics hump so that the vent along the side is in the correct position. I think I've got everything correct now. One thing I'd like to know is a rundown on the details of the foreign users so I can include it in the instruction sheet or come out with alternate sets. For example, the OA-4R had the hump, but retained the TA-4J nose. What other variants are out there that these resin parts can help make.

oa4m8.JPG

Darren,

Here's what I know:

OA-4M: Converted from TA-4F airframes for USMC. I think you have all the mods for it suitcased. Depending on who you ask, some say at least some of the OA-4Ms were upgraded to the J52-P-408 engine, but I haven't seen any definite confirmation of that. If so, those airframes would also have the larger "bulged" intakes. BTW, chaff/flare bucket arrangement would be similar to that of a late A-4F with one bucket aft and one forward next to the tail hook mount.

TA-4KU: (Kuwait) The only two seat skyhawk to come from the factory with the hump. Standard TA-4F/J nose. ILS antennae added to either side of the verical stabilizer. "Hot Dog" antenna on the vertical stab tip with a blade antenna on top of that. Large blade antenna on top of the hump. Lacks the RWR receiver fairings on the nose and sugar scoop. Also the only two seat skyhawk to be equipped from the factory with the J52-P-408 engine, which means it also had the "bulged" intakes. Chaff/flare bucket arrangement(if fitted) is like the A-4M with both buckets forward next to the hook mount.

OA-4AR: Converted from OA-4M airframes. Rather than a standard TA-4 noce, the radome more closely matches that of the A-4K with Kahu mod. It has several dielecric strips running longitudinally on the surface. RWR receiver antennae moved from nose to under the wingtips (also similar to Kahu). RWR receiver antennae retained on the "sugar scoop". ILS antennae added to either side of vertical stab. Cockpit completely revised with a modern HUD and two MFDs. Similar to, but not exactly the same arrangement as the Kahu. Chaff/Flare buckets rearranged to match A-4M configuration.

Brazillian AF-1A: Converted from TA-4KU. Initially appears to match TA-4KU configuration. I've heard they were going to upgrade the jets with radar and new cockpits, but not sure if it has happened yet.

I think this will get you started with the major items needed for a conversion. Others may have more to add.

BTW, the conversion is looking real good. Can't wait to get my hands on a couple!

HTH,

Gabe